Author's Chapter Notes:
I know it's still Tuesday in most places, but in Greece it's Wednesday and I have no work in the morning therefore no idea what time I'll wake up. The only reason this rambling has is to explain why I am updating sooner... ok, so I'm really only updating nowcuz the darling Kristi (Tanit) asked for it. And she's commanding!!!

I want to thank you all for reading this far and give 'thank yous' and cookies to those who review. You've made me want to improve my writing, and though I can't say if I managed to or not I know I won't stop trying.

A thank you and a great big hug to Mistress Tina, AKA Im_bloody_English for being awesome and betaing/listening to rants/proding me on/helping me out in so many ways, to Carrie (Darkrivertempest) for being just as insane as one has to be to put up with me, and to Sarah (SpikesGoddess) for helping me through this blasted, no-internet weekend by texting me all the time and making me smile silly. Love you ladies, you really are made of awesome!
The months that followed after Buffy and Spike realized they had a future together rolled by excruciatingly slow. But true to her word, Anya had Buffy ‘tutor Spike in Art’ and the three of them were grateful for each day that went by without Rupert asking his son what exactly he’d been learning during his sessions with the blonde. With but a few exceptions, the two couldn’t be alone together during the day for more than an hour three times a week, for Spike’s ‘lessons’, and naturally that was never enough for either of them. Nor were the coffee breaks at the Espresso Pump or the weekly outings at the Bronze. Spike wasn’t allowed out late on school-nights and he tried to be the model son, even coming home relatively early on Fridays, since he wanted to prove to his father what a responsible young man he’d become in order to be allowed to move to the dorms – as far as his father would know – when he started college.

Seeing each other became easier during September, as Giles’ shift at the museum ended a few hours after Spike was home from school, so the two lovers could indulge in each other without the fear of getting caught, especially since Anya always left the house almost as soon as Buffy came over. After Buffy started work, however, she had no choice but ride to work and back with the older Brit. And on the days Spike had his ‘tutoring’ sessions, she’d have lunch with the Giles family before she and Spike disappeared to his room to talk about ancient Greek statues – or whatever Buffy could think of on their way up the stairs – for a few minutes before immersing into silent make out sessions.

The problem was that they knew they couldn’t be silent if those make out sessions went as far as including crazy monkey sex – as Anya referred to it, making both protest at her choice of words – so the sexual tension kept increasing as their passionate encounters in the Giles’ family home didn’t include much needed release. They tried phone sex as well as the internet, but the risk of being walked in on was too high, and they never managed even a fraction of the pleasure they usually gave each other.

The two felt like horny teenagers – well one of them technically was – and Buffy couldn’t wait to get her own place so that they could have sex somewhere other than the alley behind the Bronze. They used the hotel Spike had taken her to for their one month anniversary for their six-month anniversary in December, but only for a few hours since neither could spend the night without having to answer a series of questions they really didn’t want to provide answers to.

Spike was also finding it increasingly difficult to be around her on Sundays, when their families and Xander’s got together for lunch; a ‘tradition’ Anya and Dawn insisted on establishing to give the two of them opportunities to meet. What was worse, however, was when a couple of weeks before Christmas, Buffy began spending more and more time doing research for work. Or at least that’s what she said as she kept canceling their tutoring sessions or leaving a few minutes earlier than she usually did, which was a far cry from how she’d always look for excuses to spend more time with him.

By this time, the two had known each other long enough for Spike not to allow himself another jealous fit like the one on his birthday, so he decided to come out and ask her what was wrong… as soon as he got her alone.

It was 3 days before Christmas and Rupert was more than proud at how vigilant his son was with his studies. The boy had an Art lesson today and Buffy was supposed to be here already. She insisted on driving to and from the museum on her own for the past ten days or so, saying she needed to research and catalog some new artifacts that he’d never even laid eyes on, but he trusted the girl. Her knowledge on art was that of a connoisseur, not someone who just happened to stumble upon the major in college just because she needed more free time to party. Plus he could see she’d been a great influence on William all summer. *My boy is turning into a man before my very eyes.* Rupert hastily wiped a tear that was indecent enough to roll down his cheek despite his proper British upbringing just as he heard Buffy’s pile of junk for a car come around the corner. *Dear Lord, the girl is paid a reasonably good salary and has no expenses, she can afford to get rid of that lemon for something better.*

He approached the front door slowly, trying both to hide his sappy pride for his son and his disapproval of the blonde’s ride, when a peroxide-topped blur rushed by him and threw the door open.

“Buffy,” Spike said, breathless for having run down the stairs the moment he heard her approach, “I need a ride to the market. Ran out of smokes.” He threw his father a look, daring him to lecture on his bad habit after the old man let slip some ‘info’ on how exactly he’d spent his youth the previous Sunday. Rupert gave him a slightly miffed look before admonishing him not to take up any more of Ms. Summers’ time than necessary.

“That’s ok, Giles. I wanted to take him to the museum this afternoon anyway. Sort of a hands-on lesson? If that’s alright with you, of course.”

She bit her lower lip and Spike knew just what kind of a ‘hands on’ afternoon his love had in mind. The exact same thing he did when he came up with the excuse of buying smokes to get her out of the house long enough for a hasty rough and tumble. “Why woudn’ it be ok?” he swallowed the endearment of ‘kitten’ that almost popped up by itself at the end of the phrase.

“Because the museum is closed at this hour, William. Locked, actually.” Giles turned to Buffy, “Do you really think that is a good idea, dear?”

“I think he should have real visuals of as many eras as possible. He has to see different textures, styles, and…” Buffy’s voice trailed off, she was seriously doubting that Giles was buying into all this. She could easily take him to her mom’s gallery to show him paintings or sculptures, and they wouldn’t be alone and unsupervised there. Not that his father had any reason to believe the two of them needed supervision or anything. *Except for the fact that everything in the museum costs like a gazillion bucks.* No, Giles wouldn’t buy it. At best he’d think her plan on the lesson ‘ill-conceived’ and provide an alternative. *Guh, if I have to spend the afternoon in mom’s gallery I’ll scream!*

But Giles was so touched by the eagerness in Spike’s eyes when he turned to him and asked ‘well pops?’ that a negative answer just wasn’t an option.

“I guess there is no harm in that. And it will contribute to a more spherical approach on the subject… bring William in better contact with his chosen major…” He didn’t even take off his glasses as he looked first at Buffy and then at his son who was beaming back at him. “Yes. You may go. Just don’t be too late getting back.”

He barely registered the kiss Buffy planted on his cheek before the two had vanished from his eyesight and his ears were assaulted by the clanging sound of Buffy’s sort-of-a-car.


~~~~~*~~~~~


The moment they left the block their houses were on, Spike told Buffy to pull over and was really disappointed when she just smirked and said ‘NoPe’.

“Not funny, luv, want to kiss you, feel you. Pull over, now.” He growled the last word and Buffy shook her head giggling as he reached for her.

“No, Spike, I’m driving, no smoochies just yet.” She quirked an eyebrow and poked her tongue out at him briefly, just long enough to drive him crazy.

*The things that tongue can do…* He spotted the leer on her face and made an effort to be really discreet as he adjusted his crotch. *So baby want’s ta play.* “Right, then. Le’s talk instead. What’s the surprise this time?”

“Surprise?”

She looked edgy, and he could see the beginnings of a pout bringing her lips together. *Right on!* “Well, last time you acted as… aloof-” he grinned and she made a face at him, scrunching her nose, tongue peeking out between her lips again, “-as you’ve been these past few days, it was a surprise for my birthday. Now Chris’mas is nearin’, so what’ll it be, pet? Kind of cold for games by the lake, but I’m game if you are.”

She just had to giggle at that. Turning slightly towards him, her attention still at her road – which was some sort of miracle for her – she asked “Do you really want me to spoil the surprise?”

“Definitely.”

“Oh, come ooon, you’re supposed to wanna be surprised.”

“Says who?”

“Me.”

The pout was at full force and Spike had no defense against it. Throwing up his hands, he conceded. “A’right, have it your way, bossy bint!”

Buffy managed not to let her satisfaction show and tried for a change in subject.

“So, Spike, have you thought about your future?” *Okaaay, maybe not the wittiest thing to ask.* She rolled her eyes at herself.

“As a matter of fact I have. Right after graduation I’ll throw you over my shoulder an’ drive this bucket you call a car off into the sunset. I’ll find a shack, bind you to the bed and have lots of babies with you.” Her laughter rang like music in his ears.

“I see… and what will we and our babies eat, oh Master-of-Planning-for-the-Future?”

“Oi, do not mock my evil mastermind! We’ll live off my trus’ fund. You know I can be a good provider… I can provide you with some service right now!” He waggled his eyebrows then licked his lips seductively.

Buffy almost leaped into his lap to kiss that luscious mouth of his but the not so lust-addled part of her brain, *hey! Didn’t know I had a part like that. In my brain. Go figure!* intervened. “Not that I’d really mind the ability to buy shoes for life-”

“You won’t.”

“Huh?”

“Won’ be able to go buy shoes. Tied to the bed, remember?” He managed to keep a straight face.

“Sorry baby, totally my bad. Having you buy shoes for me, then. Not that I’d really mind that, but aren’t you going to college or something?”

Sensing the conversation really did have a point, especially since she already knew the answer to her question, Spike decided to quit joking. “Where’s this goin’, luv? Havin’ the semiannual attack of cold feet? Somethin’ about me deservin’ more out of life and all that rot?”

“Oh, no! No cold feet. Feet are totally warm and snuggly and comfy in my stylish yet affordable boots. And you, sir, deserve me and only me!” She meant it. “I was just wondering if you’d talked to your dad about living at the dorm yet.”

“Buffy. You know I have. He said it’d depend on my behavior this year. Now I know you’re too young for Alzheimer’s, so wha’s wrong?”

“Nothing. Nothing’s wrong. Everything is A-OK,” she chirped, but she felt oddly subdued, like whatever had her going a minute ago had suddenly deflated.

“Luv? You do know we’re all the way across town from our usual places, right?” Spike looked out his window and back to her. He sensed something was off the moment his eyes landed on her. “Buffy?”

“Oh my God, Spike, I did something and—and I wanted to surprise you-” she slowed the car to a near crawl and turned to fully face him. Her eyes were wide. “-and what if you hate it? Or if you think I shouldn’t have? Or maybe wanted to talk some more about it?”

“I could never hate anythin’ you got me, or did for me, pet, you know that.”

She turned back to the road, her tone more quiet, as if she was talking to herself now although the questions were clearly aimed at him. “Yeah, but what if you don’t wanna live there? Here. With me?” She pulled over in front of an apartment building and slumped in her seat, taking a deep breath. “No, I’m silly. You want to live with me. And the place rocks. And you’ll love it cuz you love me. And we’ll move the lessons here, and see each other more, and come next fall you’ll move in with me instead of at the dorms.” Her voice was stronger again, more confident as she looked up at him expectantly. “Because you love me. And you’ll love the place because you love me. Right?”

Spike was grinning at her by the time she finished her rambling. “Have the keys to the place, I suppose?”

That wasn’t exactly an answer to her question about his loving the place cuz he loved her. Ignoring his own question she poked him on the chest. Hard. “Right?”

He burst in giggles. Not chuckles, not his usual manly, roaring laughter, but giggles. “Well you covered everythin’ I could ‘ave thought of, luv.” He got out of the car and walked to her side to open her door. She unbuckled her seatbelt and took his hand to step out of the car and into his arms raising her face to his for a kiss which he gave her, albeit a short one.

“Huh? Why did the kissage stop?” she exclaimed when he pulled back.

“Got the key?” When she nodded, he put his hand in her front pocket poking around for a while until he found it, while his other hand held her against him. “Covered everythin’ ‘cept one thing, you see.” He tut’ed at her and she frowned.

“Huh?” *Why isn’t he kissing me?* “What thing?”

“Which way?” Draping her over his shoulder with lightning speed he walked to the front door of the apartment she indicated – though it would have been hard to miss with that red bow taped on the door – shoved the key in the hole and turned it without ever breaking stride.

“What thing, Spike?”

He said three words that sent a shiver down her spine. “Gotta christen it!”



tbc.