Author's Chapter Notes:
Thx for the reviews - always welcomed.
No specific warnings for this chapter. Some of the dialogue is from season 2 episodes.
Part Twenty one: How To Kill a Lover



Joyce looked calm.

Calm is good.

“And now you have to stop Angel from destroying the world?”

Wow, she take this a lot better than the first time around.

I’m as stunned as you.

Stunned? Try gob smacked.

Could be that Willow, Xander and Giles are here to back up your story.

Could be. Nice call by the way.

Thank you.

Don’t mention it.

Not going to.


Giles and her friends – Willow a little bit singed (but alive), had arrived shortly after the phone call that had changed the slayer’s whole existence. And together they had convinced Joyce that her daughter was the slayer and destined to save the world – or die trying. They didn’t mention that she already had died once.

Go, team!!

And by mutual agreement, Buffy and Willow had decided that it was best to not tell anyone that Buffy was from the future. It would only add to the confusion that already was.

Joyce turned her focus solely to her daughter.

“Buffy, I’m not sure I want you to go after Angel.”

The slayer meets her mother’s concerned gaze and press forward a reassuring smile.

“Don’t worry, mom. I know how to take care of Angel.” Pause. “And hopefully Willow will be able to restore his soul before he summons Acathla.”

“And if she fails?”

“Then I’ll have to kill him.

If it comes to that…

I won’t hesitate. I’ll kill him.


Pause.

Again…

She could feel her mother’s and her friend’s eyes on her as she walked over to table to pick up the sword that laid there. A sword that once – no, would… she gave up trying to get the timeline right. The sword that may or may not be the undoing of Angel. Again…

I can’t believe I’m doing this.

Me neither. As your life wasn’t fucked up already. But having to kill Angel twice? Jerry Springer would so have a field trip with that.

‘m not sure that we have to kill Angel.

We? Talk to yourself. If that soulless bastard has touched a hair on Spike’s pretty head I’ll gut him like a pig.

That’s harsh.

That’s the truth.

Yeah…


“Buffy?”

She turned a fiery gaze towards her watcher, noticing the grim expression in his face. He was still reeling from the fact that his beloved Jenny was dead.

“What?”

“I know what Angel means to you…”

No you don’t.

“…but you have to remember that he isn’t the Angel you knew anymore. You have to realize that if you’re not able to stop him in time – soul or not, you have to kill him in order to close the portal. No matter what.”

“Giles…” Buffy sighed warily. “I know.”

She met Willow’s gaze and a silent understanding came to pass; the slayer knew that the witch would do anything in her power to restore Angel’s soul.

Buffy let her gaze travel over her family and friends, memorizing their faces, before she headed towards the door.

“Buffy…”

Joyce laid a hand on her daughter’s shoulder and Buffy tried hard to hold back the tears that threatened to appear. This Joyce had accepted her calling much faster and she could see the love shining out from her eyes.

“Mom… I have to do this.”

Joyce searched Buffy’s face and then nodded sadly.

“I know.” She planted a kiss on Buffy’s cheek. “Be careful. And… I love you.”

“I love you too.” Looking around. “All of you.”

And with that she turned her back against them and headed out from the house. She had a mission – and the mission was all that mattered.

Thank God that I’m a hot chick with super powers…

Channelling Faith – not a good sign.

Shut up.

‘m just saying.

She had her bright moments… once in a while.

We’re doomed…


And for a agonizing moment, she actually believed it herself.





Part Twenty two: Awakenings



Spike monitored Angel’s every move with wary eyes. The elder vampire had been preparing for the ritual for quite a while now – only taking a short pause to feed Spike blood.

Mighty thoughtful of the ol’ chap.

It was probably poisoned.

Probably.

Just so that we’re clear about that.

Crystal clear.


Spike sighed and made a last effort to release himself from the ropes that held him bound. But to no avail. He accepted his predicament with a fuming gaze in Angel’s direction. And what the bloody hell was the brooding git up to now?

”He will drink... the blood will wash in him, over him, and he will be cleansed. He will be worthy to free Acathla. Bear witness as he ascend. As he become.”

Spike couldn’t make anything out of the other vampire’s ramblings and that was a little bit frustrating. He cursed himself for not being more perceptive the first time around, instead of being so intent on whisking the wayward Drusilla away.

Man, I really was a twit back then.

Duh.

I’ve been a twit regarding a bunch of things.

Like not letting Buffy know you came back.

Yeah.

Like not letting her know you survived the battle against the Wolfram and Hart.

Yeah.

Like making that stupid wish.

YEAH.

Just wanted you to get the picture.

I got it.


Oh, man… He got it alright.

As Spike reminisced to himself he came to the conclusion that if he got out of this situation alive he would spend an eternity making it up to Buffy. Big time. And with that in mind, he began to struggle against the ropes once again.

“There’s no point, boy.” Angel’s cruel voice echoed through the room and made Spike cease his efforts in order to gaze up at the elder vampire with a hateful glare. “You didn’t actually think that I would let you escape?”

“A bloke can hope.”

Angel snickered and inched closer. He reached out a hand and let his index finger travel down Spike’s chest – almost in a sexual manor.

“You know,” he began with a sly smile, “when this whole thing is over and done with, we could keep each other company.” Pause. “In hell.”

Ugh… Nasty!

Tell me about it. I feel so violated.

We. We both feel violated.

‘m sorry.

You should be.


“Screw you.”

Angel backed a step and shook his head.

“Now, now… Where’s the love?”

“When I get loose, I’ll kill you,” Spike breathed.

That only merited a snicker from Angel and the other vampire stepped close again.

“Spike, how ever have you thought that you’d get free? You’re defenceless; No weapons... no friends... no hope. Take all that away and what's left?”

“Me.”

The two vampires turned their heads to see Buffy standing in the doorway with a sword in her hand and a grim expression in her beautiful face.

Buffy!!!

“It’s too late,” Angel declared triumphantly. “The ritual has been completed.”

Spike blinked.

Oh, fuck…




Tbc…