Author's Chapter Notes:
Thx for the reivews!! Keeps my inspiration alive.

Warning for this chapter: Character death
Part Twenty three: Close Your Eyes



“Hello, lover.”

The two vampires stared at the slayer in different degrees of surprise. Angel’s was of the grim variety, but Spike’s were all joy.

Angel sneered.

“I don’t have time for you.”

“You don’t have a lot time left.”

“Coming on kind’a strong, don’t you think? You’re playing some deep odds here.” Gesturing towards the surrounding vampires. “Do you really think you could take us all on?”

“No. I don’t.”

And with that she opened her hand and let the ball of energy, which she been harbouring, fly towards Spike.

In a matter of only a few seconds the orb’s energy had disposed of the rope that had held the blond vampire tied to the pole and he was finally free.

“I have him.”

And with that the fight was on.

Buffy charged at an oncoming vampire that placed itself in the way between her and her real target; Angel. With a quick thrust with her hand she sliced its throat open and watched detached as it turned into dust.

Angel… Angelus backed away as she advanced in his direction.

“Do you really think I would let you destroy this?” Shacking his head. “I have apparently given you a lot more credit then you deserve.”

“Time to shut up,” Buffy declared grimly and swung the sword towards him. “And time to surrender.”

“And by surrender you mean die?” He ducked gracefully. “I think I’ll pass on that one.”

“You said that the ritual has been completed.”

“It has,” he nodded gleefully. “And there’s nothing you can do to stop it.”

“I can kill you.”

Buffy swung at him again and this time she managed to rift his skin before he slunk away.

Angelus chuckled.

“You can try.”

Buffy cast a quick glance in Spike’s direction and saw that he held his on against a bunch of fledglings. He moved with such a deadly grace and with that satisfied smirk on his face that told her that he was enjoying the fight. It was like watching someone dance.

Come on, you know you wanna dance…

A movement in the corner of her eyes catch her attention and she turned around just in time to see Angel’s fist flying against her face.

The blow caught her squarely in the jaw and she staggered away from the sheer force of it, silently cursing herself for losing her guard.

Lifting a hand to wipe at the blood running from her mouth she fixated her hateful glare at the grinning vampire.

“Bastard.”

“Well, thank you.”

When he attacked this time she was prepared; blocking his blow and then delivering an upper cut that made him fly backwards and land in a heap on the dusty floor. He was soon back up on his feet tough and again charging her with deadly intent.

There’s nothing left of the Angel you once loved in this soulless creature.

I know.

I sure hope Willow manage to restore his soul before you have to kill him.

Yeah…


But in the very second she finished that fought, Buffy saw a portal starting to open behind the dark haired vampire. And she was filled with dread.

She had to kill Angel – again…

Angelus turned around and watched the swirling portal with triumphant. As it grew in intensity he turned to face Buffy again.

“I told you,” he said grinning. “It’s too late now.”

Buffy meet his cold stare and shivered. Then she slowly shook her head and thrust the sword deep into his chest – noticing the hiss of pain that escaped him in the inpact.

“No,” she whispered. “It’s not too late. Your blood will stop it.”

Buffy backed away with tears in her eyes and prepared herself to watch him die, a second time.

But the moments passed by and nothing happened. The portal was still growing and she wrinkled her forehead in confusion. What…?

Angelus grinned.

“Oh, did I forget to tell you? I didn’t use my blood.”

Buffy blinked at the confession.

Not his blood?

But then whose?


She saw his evil grin and it dawned upon her in terrible clarity. Oh God…

She turned her head to look over at Spike who was fighting a bunch of vampires with a smirk on his face.

“Spike!!”

Upon hearing her distressed call for him, the blond vampire quickly disposed of the last vampires before running towards her.

“Buffy,” he breathed and came to a halt in front of her, beautiful as ever before. He only gave Angelus a quick look before focusing his attention solely on her. “Buffy, what…?”

“Tell him, “ Angelus spurred ruefully.

Buffy shook her head and meet Spike’s blue gaze.

“I…”

In the corner of her eye she could suddenly see how Angelus fell to the floor and started rock back and forth – and she realized that Willow had succeeded. Once again too late. The returning of Angel’s soul meant nothing to her. Not anymore.

“Buffy…?”

She turned her focus back to the love of her life and felt her heart constrict in her chest when she saw the love that shone out from his eyes.

“Spike?”

He nodded.

“I remember everything, Buffy.”

Oh God…

I’m so sorry, so sorry. Please. Please. PLEASE…


The mansion shuddered and Buffy came aware of the swirling portal behind Spike. A portal that would swallow everything that she loved.

“Buffy?”

Spike’s voice was full of questions and she swallowed back the lump in her throat as she stepped closer to him.

“Buffy, why..?”

“Hush.” Buffy silenced him with a finger to his slightly parted lips. She could see the confusion in his eyes as she ignored Angel in favour of him. “Everything’s gonna be okay.”

“Buffy?”

“I love you, Spike.”

“I love you too.” Now there were tears in her eyes, and he felt powerless to stop them. “Buffy?”

“Close your eyes.”

“What?”

“Trust me.”

Buffy’s heart shattered into a million pieces when Spike slowly closed his eyes. His trust for her was undeniable.

Then she fought hard to find that place in her that would help her perform the task at hand.

“I love you.”

And she delivered the sword to its final resting place.

Spike’s heart.

He opened his eyes in shock.

“Buffy…?”

She shook her head as he reached at a hand towards her. Then she slowly entwined her fingers with his.

Look; no flames…

“I’m so sorry…”

He opened his mouth as if to say something, but whatever it was she would never find out…

The portal closed and Buffy was left alone.

“Spike…”

Can we rest now? Buffy, can we rest?




Tbc…