Author's Chapter Notes:
Thx for the reviews for the last chapter!

Sorry that it's taken so long for an update, but I've been sick for a while now and only felt better today. Hopefully updates will come a lot faster from now on.
Part Twenty five: A different Kind Of Fairytale




Every night I save you.

Buffy stood at the rooftop and looked out over the city down below. The city that never sleeps.

New York was her territory now. Had been for the past ten years. Ever since she accepted the fact that Spike wasn’t returning to her.

There were times when she missed Sunnydale and the life she’d left behind there. Her friends and family. And sometimes, in the darkest hours of the night she could find herself wonder what had become of them all. If they were safe.

Xander.

Willow.

Faith.

Her mom.

Her step dad (Giles).

Dawn…

A fluke had made it so that Dawn was Faith’s sister in everyone’s – except Buffy’s, eyes. Maybe it was because Buffy had alienated herself from her calling and left for a whole new life in New York.

She was simply not fit to be the protector of the key.

It’s Summer’s blood. The monks made you out of me…

Of course there was no way for Buffy to stop seeing Dawn as her sister. She would always be that in her heart. But there was also a tiny part of the slayer that was relieved. Having Dawn to worry about would have made things thousandth times more difficult.

And she really didn’t need difficult.

Surviving on your own in the big city was a challenge in itself, with the constant struggle to afford the apartment on her almost non-existent salary and the pressure of maintaining some sort of social life.

She had a few friends – but none as trusted and loved as the scoobies had been. Friends that she’d meet at work and friends that she’d made in the apartment building. Nice neighbours that looked out for each other.
All in all she led a pretty good, ordinary life. No slaying. No impendent deaths. Zero apocalypses and absolutely no prophecies.

Yay for that.

What was even more important was that by leaving Sunnydale she had managed to change the events that had led up to the town’s ultimate destruction.

Faith had, unlike Buffy, no problems about killing Ben in order to stop Glory from taking Dawn.

So there were never a portal – and it in turn meant no resurrections of dead slayers, which also meant that the First never showed up.

Sunnydale remained and lives were saved.

Except one.

Spike…

There were days when she barely thought of him at all, but those were a sad few. Mostly she found herself haunted by the memory of him.

Every single touch, his voice whispering in her ear…

I’m drowning in you, Summers.

Sometimes she could wake up, all sweaty and breathing heavy as if she’d been running for miles and miles. She knew without a doubt that she’d been dreaming about chasing after Spike’s elusive figure and never reaching him. He was simply lost to her…

Sometimes she would drift off from work with her thoughts and dream about how Spike held her tightly to him and promised that he’d always be with her. Telling her how much he loved her.

Buffy used to search the crowd for his face the first couple of months since his death, in a foolish hope that he once again would return to her. But he was nowhere to be found and her hope slowly faded away, only leaving a weary and disillusioned girl.

There were nights when she was unable to sleep, standing on the balcony and watching the dark streets for a sign of… anything. Something. Feeling lost and lonely.

Occasionally she would see a vampire stalks the dim lit streets.

She never went after it tough. Never patrolled. That part of her was gone and even if the slayer in her wailed and protested against that decision – the part of her that was solely human rejoiced in the fact that she could have a normal life.

Death is your art. You make it with your hands, day after day. That final gasp, that look of peace... Part of you is desperate to know... What's it like? Where does it lead you? Now you see, that's the secret. Not the punch she didn't throw or the kick she didn't land. She merely wanted it. Every Slayer has a death wish. Even you.

Did she have a death wish?

Oh God, yes. Yes…

Blinking away the sudden prick of tears, Buffy made a graceful leap and descended to the street down below. For some reason she felt like exploring the city.

There are quite a few people on the move in the late hour and Buffy can’t help watching them as they hurry around like busy bees. Some dressed in suits and some casual. Maybe tourists, she thinks and follows them with her eyes as they chatter in unfamiliar languages.

Then she suddenly freeze to the spot and drags in a deep breath. She thought she saw something amongst the crowd. A man with bleached blonde hair..

Spike!!

She spots the man walking a few feet away and her heart jumps. It does look…

She runs, holding her breath, and reaches out a hand. The man turns.

Not him.

Never him.

And her heart dies just a little bit more.





Part Twenty six: Echoes




Buffy was dreaming.

Spike was holding her in his arms, his muscles ripping under her fingers as he gently moved inside of her. His eyes were so blue and they could see right through her. And they liked what they saw. He looked at her as if she was the centre of his universe, as if she was the only thing that mattered to him. That she was special and amazing and loved.

“I love you,” he whispers, his lips a breath away from hers. “I will always love you.”

She nuzzled against his neck, drawing in the scent of him, marvelling that he could actually love her. Even through all the things she’s done to him. The things they’ve done to each other.
“I love you too.”

He draws back and she waits with a smile for what he’s going to say.

“No, you don’t. But thanks for saying it.”


Buffy wakes up, silently screaming.

It was a dream.

A nightmare. Not the kissing and cuddling part – but the other part.

The part where he told her that he didn’t believe her.

Getting up on gingerly legs, the blond slayer slowly makes her way towards the full figured mirror.

She studies herself in the mirror, noticing the weary reflection and wonders how it all had come to be this way.

A stupid wish.

Magic always has consequences…

Did it ever.

Sighing, Buffy walked back to the bed and slid under the warm covers. She didn’t really dare to fall asleep, afraid to dream again.

But staring into the black depths of her room, she could hear his voice whisper…

I’m on love with you.

You’re all I can bloody think about.

You’re in my blood. I’m drowning in you, Summers.

I don’t know what I would have done if you went up those stairs.

Where you there with me?

You have to live. So that one of us is living.

The day you do suss out what you want there will be a parade. Seventy-six bloody trombones…

I can feel it, Buffy. My soul. It’s really there. It kind’a stings…


She closed her eyes and hugged the pillow tightly to her chest, trying hard to hold back the tears. And after a while, she manages to call down – as sleep overtook her.

And Buffy dreamed again.

Spike was sitting on his knees, looking up at her as if she was the most beloved person in the whole wide world. In his hand laid the perfect wedding ring; white gold and yellow diamonds.

“For my golden goddess,” he said and reached out for her hand. “Buffy, will you marry me?”

“Yes,” she whispered with tears in her eyes. “God, yes!!”

A brilliant smile graced his beautiful face as he slid the ring – which fit perfectly, on her finger. Then he pulled her with him to their feet as he kissed her passionately.

“You’ve just made me the happiest man alive!”

They shared another sweet kiss, before Buffy spotted someone moving in the corner of her eye. She quickly turned around and saw all of her friends and family gathered.

“Mom, dad,” she beamed at Joyce and Giles, “Spike and I are getting married!”

“Congratulations!”

And soon she was enveloped in a warm group hug. There was Dawn, Xander, Willow, Faith and Oz. everyone that she loved. And they all wished for her and Spike’s happiness.

“We always knew it would be you two.”

Buffy turned blissfully to the silent vampire and slid into his waiting arms.

“This is the happiest day in my life,” she breathed.”

“I’m glad for you, pet. ‘s just sad that it wont last.”

“What?” She gazed up and saw his sad smile. “What are you talking about?”

“’s just a dream, luv. I’m not really here.”

And before her eyes he started to vanish…


Buffy opened her eyes and knew instantaneously that his voice would haunt her for the rest of her life.

Getting up from the bed, she dressed herself in black clothes and left the apartment – carrying a stake for the first time in nine years.

It was time to act.

Can we rest now? Buffy…Can we rest?”



Tbc…