Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the late update. Much to do before thr Holidays and not enough time to do it.
Hopefully I'll be able to wrap this up before Christmas.
*hugs*
Part Twenty seven: The Man Who Wasn’t There



He liked to walk the dim lit streets at night. He didn’t know why – but he did.

William strode down the crowded street, humming a little tune and watched as people scurried pass and by him.

He jiggled with his keychain, turned a corner and found himself standing in front of the door to his apartment building.

Home sweet home.

The portiere greeted him with a silent nod and followed his every move as he went for the elevator in the far back of the lobby. He entered it and using a key he let the machine know that the destination was the top floor of the building. Only William had access to that, and it was a fact that put a smile on the man’s face.

The elevator reached the designated floor with a soft pling and the doors opened silently, revealing an impressive marble hall – and beyond it a living room in all its splendour. This was the domains of a very fortunate person.

William walked directly through the two rooms, passed the kitchen and into the bedroom, unbuttoning his lilac shirt on the way. He threw it carelessly on the floor and continued with his black khakis. Soon he was naked as the day he was born and he headed for the bathroom – all with the intention to take a hot shower.

But he never got that far.

Stopping in front of the full figured mirror, he studied his naked form with curiosity. It never ceased to amaze him that he didn’t have a single scar, or mould – or anything that could tell him about his past. It was almost as he was a clean plate – a blank canvas waiting for something, or someone to leave its impression on it.

A hand slowly traced the lines of his face and he frowned when it reaches his eyebrow, suddenly certain that there had been a scar there at some time. He couldn’t just remember when…

Why can’t I remember? Why is there a void in my heart? A space that needs so desperately to be filled?

He blinked and let the hand drop to the side, never letting his eyes drift away from the reflection.

That’s me standing there. But it fells strange. It’s like I’m expecting someone else to look back at me. Someone… blonder…?

Spike.

Who is Spike?

The man who isn’t there…


Shaking his head, William changed his direction and walked back into the bedroom. He headed for the wardrobe and got dressed in a hurry – suddenly eager to escape the apartment.

Dressed in jeans and a black shirt under a suede jacket, William left the building and headed down the street in the direction of the graveyard that lay only a few blocks away.

He was going to visit his mom’s grave.

William sighed as the memories washed over him; memories of his mom comforting him as a boy. Of her warm voice and calming hands. Her smell and her laughter. She’d been the one constant in his life – ‘til the cancer took her away.

She’d been the world’s greatest mom…

William was pulled away form his memories as a car honked nearby and startled him. He blinked and noticed that he was almost at the graveyard.

That was fast…

Suddenly he heard a sound from the graveyard and without any thought he ran towards it – idly hoping that whatever – or whoever, it was it would be something that he could handle.

Sprinting along the vaguely lit parch he spotted a gang of five men attacking a petite woman.
Rage flooded his veins at such display of cowards and he increased his speed, eager to reach them and help the defenceless woman.

Or maybe not so defenceless he thought to himself as she suddenly freed herself with an impressive manoeuvre, followed with a roundhouse kick that sent one of the attackers to the ground howling in pain.

He was just out of reach, when the biggest of the five suddenly whipped out a knife and jammed in directly into the woman’s stomach. With bathed breath, William, saw her cover the wound with one hand while she quickly retreated.

“Hey!” William yelled and dove straight for the knifeman, tackling him to the ground.

Thank the lord for collage football!

Tumbling around on the ground with the big man, was maybe not something William considered dignified, but necessarily. No one should bully others – especially a little woman!
Even if the woman seemed to handle things on herself quite well.

“Oof!” he huffed as he was hit with a sharp elbow in the ribs. Damn it, what the man was strong! He decided that he needed a breather and quickly rolled out of range.

Getting up on his feet he noticed that there were only three men left – that including the man he was facing, and he wondered briefly what had happened to the other two. Had they deemed this attack to risky for some reason and gotten the hell out of there?

However, he wasn’t about to question that turn of good fortune – so he focused on the hulk like man again as he approached with a snarl. And, oh my god, what was wrong with his face?!

“What the hell are you?”

There was no answer, and he didn’t really expect one. The… thing growled and launched itself towards the very confused William – who quickly stepped out of the way and reached out a leg to trip the offender. It succeeded and during the respite, William turned to see how things were going for the woman.

She was just getting up to her feet, dusting of her jeans – that sat like a second skin to her legs.

Naughty thoughts…

Get a grip!!


He also noticed that the man she’d been fighting against also had skipped the party.

“Where…?”

She looked up and suddenly seemed frozen to the spot. The look in her beautiful eyes could only be described as utter shock.

“What…?”

Then her expression changed and she showed him to the side with a cry of desperation.

“No!”

He turned around to see her block the incoming blow from the assailant that had been lying on the ground were William left him moments before. The…thing delivered another blow that she once again blocked and responded with a jab to its chin – knocking him to the ground.

As William only could look on in amazement, she whipped out a… stake (?) and jammed it into the things heart. A second later the air was filled with a cloud of dust and the last attacker was…gone.

What the hell…?

“Lady, are you alright?” he asked and watched as she turned to face him.

God, she’s beautiful…

“Spike?” Her voice was only a tiny whisper but he heard her all the same.

Spike?

“A spike?” He looked her form for any signs of mentioned object, but found nothing. “Where?”

She only shook her head and took a few tiny steps towards him.

“Spike,” she repeated and reached out a hand to caress his cold cheek. “It’s you. It’s really you…”

He opened his mouth to ask her what the hell she was talking about, but closed it in a hurry as she suddenly moaned and fell to the ground.

He kneed beside her and noticed the bloodstain that grew wider just below her ribcage. She was hurt. Badly hurt.

“I’ll call an ambulance,” he assured her and reached for the cell with a trembling hand. “Don’t worry – you’ll be fine.”

Once again she shook her head and just as he got through to the dispatch, she reached out a hand and disconnected the call.

“Why did you do that?”

“Spike…” she whispered and motioned for him to come closer. “I’m sorry…”

He decided that it was for the best to play along and leaned in closer. So close that he could feel her warm breath against his cheek.

“I love you.”

No, you don’t. But thanks for saying it.

Where the hell did that come from?


Her eyes gazed into his with so much love. So much sadness.

“I wish…” She coughed and he felt a pang of fear as he noticed the stream of blood from her mouth. “I wish I never made that wish.” Another cough. “I wish that none of us did that…”

And she closed her eyes.

William blinked at the sudden prick of tears and pressed her against him, rocking her body back and forth in his arms.

Please don’t die. Please…

We only just found you…


A single snowdrop descended slowly from the sky and landed softly on her blond head.

Everything was silent. And still. And wrong.

William cast his head back and wailed against the moon, cradling her still body against his with all of his might.

Then everything went black…





Tbc…