Author's Chapter Notes:
Warning: Spike/Other. Also all characters from the shows Buffy the vampire slayer and Angel the series belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy and Fox - but Kara is an original character created by me.
Part Three: Kara


From the moment he'd realized who he had been in the past, Spike had experienced a strange compulsion to pick up where Buffy left off, after she'd moved on to whatever life he'd tried to give her through his final act of sacrifice.

Somehow he'd understood that he was back again, returned from the dead for some unexplainable reason.

It would have been nice if whoever had brought him back had stuck around long enough to say why, when, what, and who, but that was not something he really prioritised.

He was just glad to be alive. And back to fighting the good fight. Strangely enough, once he remembered his past life, he seemed to have gained some mighty impressive supernatural powers. He was actually stronger than he’d been as a vampire and he didn’t have all the imperfections a vampire would have.

So, he used his new improved strength to hunt down all kind of nasties and kill them. And saved more humans than he’d ever done before, feeling quite proud of himself. And one of those he saved had stayed around - become his friend, as well as roommate.

Kara…

He sensed her now, moving in the shadows and stepping out to where he sat on the balcony.

She sat down on the divan next to his, inhaling the night aromas.

Spike had rescued her one night from a vampire attack; she'd seemed to take it in stride, as if a man rescuing her from vampires wasn't that remarkable.

She had simply introduced herself as Kara, and mesmerized by her sparkling personality he’d let her stay, no questions asked.

”It’s beautiful.”

Huh?

Caught in his daydreams, her voice reached out to him and brought him back to reality. She was good at doing that. In fact she was like an anchor that holds him in place.

”The night. It’s beautiful.”

Spike looked at the pale moon shining down on them from a starlit sky and realized that it actually was quite a beautiful night.

As a vampire he had relied the night, lived his life under the moon. A creature of the night. But as a human he really didn’t pay any attention to this particular time of the day.

In his false memories he remembered himself as a young boy that feared the darkness and begged his mother every night to leave the night lamp on. He remembered her telling him that he needn’t be afraid of the dark and kissing his forehead. She always smelled of lavender.

None of it was real tough - the memories. And those who supposedly were his family had also been given these false memories. Almost like how Dawn had been forged into everyone’s life in Sunnydale. The difference between them was that Dawn hadn’t remembered her past life as the Key, and Spike remembered all too well what he’d been in his past life.

A vampire. A thief. A murderer.

Kara was secretly looking the brooding man over. He was like no other she ever met in her life and he intrigued her. As much as anything could intrigue her those days - being a slayer kind’ a took away most of the everyday mysteries life would have brought if she was just an ordinary girl.

Yeah, she was as slayer and she’d actually just been on the hunt when Spike for some reason thought that she’d been in need of rescuing.

A little bit amazed of the stranger’s powers, Kara had watched him dust every single vampire and felt a sudden twinge of familiarity with him.

He hadn’t been a vampire and nothing in him appeared to be demon or even magical. No, he’d only been a man. A man with supernatural powers.

Determent to find out what he really was she had made it her business to stay as close to him as she could and been pretty glad that he had accepted her as a roommate.

Days and weeks had passed by but she wasn’t any closer to solve the quantum that was Spike. And against her will she had gotten attached to the man. Even too attached.

Kara knew that the Watcher’s Council would object if they knew she was living with an unclassified powerful being, but she found herself not telling them about her situation.

She had simply grown accustomed to being around Spike. Gloried in his acceptance and basking at his attention. And when Spike was around, well, she couldn't ignore him. He was... too much.

Maybe she should kiss him. A friendly kiss. Hi, Spike.

Spike suddenly noticed the strange look in his companion’s eyes and turned his head to her.

”What is it?”

She just looked at him with a blank expression. And he began to fell at unease.

”Kara…?”

“I was just thinking...” Kara stared up at him. “You are beautiful.”

Then blushed bright pink when she realized that she just shown what her true feelings for the vampire was.

For a moment, the heavy cloud around Spike’s heart lifted and he gave her a smirk and one twitch of his eyebrow. Always got ‘em, he did.

”Really?”

Spike could see that she thought hard and long about how she could find away out of this embarrassment and decided to rescue her.

”You look pretty spectacular tonight also.”

She blushed once more but never let her gaze drift away from his.

”You really mean that?”

”’f course, luv. That dress has always been the most fitting one. And have you done something to your hair?”

He sniffed appreciating in the air.

”Is that lavender?”

He gave her a smirk and reached out a hand to stroke her hair.

”You scented your hair for me, pet?”

”Er… Yeah… I thought that you maybe would like it. You told me that lavender always remands you of your mum. But don’t tell anyone, ok?”

He leaned in for a soft kiss.

”Don’t worry, luv. I won’t tell anyone.”

Kara gasped for air and then griped his shirt so that she could pull him closer to her. Their kiss deepened as the night turned to dawn.




Part Four: Moving On.

It was night when Kara's life forever would change.


The window in her apartment bedroom is open just enough so that a light breeze penetrates and whips the white curtains around.

Kara flicks on the switch just inside the doorway, and the lights suddenly blink on.

She turns off the lights and lies down, and in the darkness, feels him.

Spike...

Her eyes are closed, but even so, she can sense him.

And then she can feel him close to her. Hands glide down her shoulders, feather light, long, skilful fingertips skimming across her skin and makes her shiver.

A soft – oh, so soft, kiss pressed to the nape of her neck.

Cool lips trails down her spine, and she arches her back.

I can die now. And I would be happy…

Her hands running across the liquid-smooth planes of his back.

So beautiful…

The way he touches her…

I love you…




Spike likes to watch her when she sleeps.

She’s beautiful, and she’s sweet, and for some reason, she trusts him completely.

And the best part of it all; she isn’t afraid to love. Or to be loved.

She smells like lavender, like golden summers and something else he can’t quite get his hands on. And Spike knows that her smell always will linger in his mind.

She shifts languorously in her sleep, and he wonders briefly what she could be dreaming of.

He reaches out, runs his hand over her cheek. He draws back, watches her tenderly as she sleeps, feeling his heart break just a little bit more.

Because she isn't the girl of his dreams.

Buffy...


Tbc…