Chapter Thirteen

They had been standing there for at least ten minutes, not saying anything to each other, the tension between them so strong, that any random student who happened to walk by, chose to do so on the other side of the hallway.

“So…” Buffy said, deciding to break the uncomfortable silence as she painted the inside of the letters on the yellow banner red. “I was thinking about the refreshments. How do you feel about punch?”

“Yeah, sure, whatever.” Spike replied, his eyes remain downcast, not looking up from drawing the block letters.

Buffy sighed at Spike’s attitude towards her and looked to Willow. “Do you think you can help me cram some French tonight? I don't want Mr. DeJean telling my mother I'm an imbecile.”

Willow looked up from her position on the floor, where she was making another welcome sign with Xander. “Sure, but I thought you did well on the subject at your last school.”

Xander sat back for a second on his knees. “I don’t see why you both are making a fuss about this business. I mean, Giles is your dad and step dad. Couldn’t he help you out on the Joyce front? I mean, they are married.”

“Tell me your kidding me,” Spike gave Xander a look. “Da and Joyce have different views on the subject of school and slaying. And which one should come first. Very different views.”

Tara nodded her head as she and Anya brought them more paint. “I think worrying about saving the world should come first.”

Anya shrugged her shoulders. “Well, I think studying should come first. It’s important to get good grades so you can get into college and you’ll be able to get good paying jobs with lots of money. Money is very important. And not end up at a place like Video Hut.”

“Or the Doublemeat Palace,” Willow added. “Because the people that work there, very scary.”

“Not like that Drusilla,” Buffy told them. “Because that gothic vampire…” she shuttered. “Yeeehehehe.”

“Don’t worry, luv,” Spike regarded her, finally letting his eyes meet hers. “We’ll take this one step at a time. We’ll do this Parent- Teacher night and make mum proud as long as we don't have to…”

At that moment, Giles and the computer teacher, Jenny Calendar, decided to walk over.

“Buffy! Spike!” Giles went to inform them of the recent information from researching.

“…fight vampires.” Spike ended.

Giles continued to talk to the teacher. “There is nothing in the chronicles about a-an extraneous lunar cycle.”

“The Order never accurately calculated the Mesopotamian Calendar,” Jenny then reproached the librarian. “Rupert, you have got to read something that was published after 1066.”

Giles rolled his eyes. “Very funny.”

“What's the up, guys?” Xander asked, standing up with Willow.

“W-um, Ms. Calendar has been researching,” Giles continued on. “Well, uh, surfing on her computer, a-and she's... Well, according to her calculations, this Saturday is the night of St. Vigeous.”

Buffy frowned, putting down the paint brush. “Let me guess: he didn't make balloon animals.”

Willow grinned. “Oh! That would be a great idea for the Parent-Teacher Night.” At Spike’s glare she looked down. “Or not.”

“No, he led a crusade, of, of, uh, vampires,” Giles responded to Buffy. “They swept through Edessa, Harran, and points east.”

“And they didn't leave much behind.” Jenny added.

“Well, if we survive Parent-Teacher night tomorrow,” Spike informed his father. “Buffy and I will see what we can do about Saturday.”

“You're being a tad flip, don't you think?” Giles told his son. “This is serious.”

“And the both of us getting kicked out of school is laughs aplenty?” Buffy retorted.

“You both know what happens when you both let your lives interfere with your slaying.” Giles said in all seriousness.

“Okay, well, if my slaying doesn't get me expelled, then I promise my banner making won't get me killed, okay?” Buffy picked up the paint brush and began painting once more.

“Just please let us get through this week.” Spike sighed, going back to his task at hand.

“This Saturday's going to need a great deal of preparation.” Giles frowned at his two children.

“Well, we'll help.” Willow said with Tara nodding and holding her hand.

“Yeah, I'll whittle stakes.” Xander smiled as Anya sat back down with him to help with the second banner.

“It’s what he does best.” Anya replied, grabbing a pencil.

“A-and the rest of us can research stuff.” Tara said, grabbing an extra paint brush.

“And while I'm whittling, I plan to whistle a jaunty tune.” Xander continued, grinning at his own joke.

“Yes, all your help will be greatly appreciated, but when it comes to battle, Buffy and Spike must fight alone. They are, after all, the Slay…” Giles stopped himself, seeing Principal Snyder walking towards them. “...Slay-ve. Slaves. You're, you're all slaves to the, uh, television.”

Spike arched his scarred eyebrow. Could his father come up with something any more lame?

“Yes.” Jenny nodded, trying to hide the amusement on her face.

“Young people nowadays,” Giles looked to his best friend. “I suppose we should get back to our respective duties.”

Jenny nodded. “Later.”

And with that, the computer teacher and librarian went their separate ways.

Snyder look around the group, regarding Buffy and Spike’s friends. “You all wouldn't be helping Buffy and Spike by any chance, would you?”

Xander laughed nervously as he and the girls stood up. “No.”

Willow tried to put on her best ‘mean face’ but fail miserably. “We were hindering.”

Snyder looked to Spike and Buffy. “You both aren’t planning to ditch?” He took a deep breath. “Mm. I feel expulsions coming on.”

“No! No, we’ve been working for hours,” Buffy paused. “Well, more like during our study period, but-”

“Just make sure everything is perfect on Thursday.” Snyder narrowed his eyes, then turn and left.

“That guy’s a serious rodent.” Anya put her hands on her hip.

“Like I said: little weasel man.” Spike nodded.