Chapter Nineteen

It was an hour later when Buffy stood at the welcome table, doling out the punch into cups.

“What kinda punch did you make?” Willow asked as she walked over to greet her best friend.

“Uh, lemonade,” Buffy handed her a cup. “I made it fresh and everything.”

“How much sugar did you use?” Willow asked, talking a sip.

“Sugar?” Buffy wondered.

Willow grimaced at the incredibly sour taste, and put the cup down. “It's very good.”

“Okay, now all I have to do is keep my mother and Snyder from crossing paths for the rest of the night.”

“Hi, Mrs. Summers.” Willow said, seeing Buffy’s mother walk over.

“Hi, Willow. Hi, honey. Did you, uh, do all this?” The elder Summers gestured to the lemonade and the decorations.

“Yeah! Um, well, Spike too,” Buffy picked up a cup. “Here, have some lemonade-” she then saw Snyder “Right after Willow shows you the library. I have to stay here and hostess.” she said as she put the cup back down.

“Great, the library,” Willow put her arm around Joyce's shoulder, then remembered the Scooby meeting and how Joyce felt about slaying intervening with school. “Uh, um, ooo, no, G-Giles and everyone…”

“...is locked in there studying.” Buffy added. “Right. French class it is!”

Willow lead Joyce away just as Snyder arrived to stand next to Buffy. “Was that your mother?”

She grabbed a cup and a ladle full of lemonade and turned toward him. “Here,” she faked a spill. “Oh! Oh, sorry! Um, yeah! Yeah, I was gonna introduce you, but, um, she wouldn't have said much. Y'know, she doesn't speak a word of English.”

He gave her a look as if he didn’t believe her. “And where is Spike?”

“Studying.” Buffy let out a worried moan and looked up at the clock as Snyder turned to head in Willow and Joyce’s direction.



It was two hours later that Cordellia left the library and found Buffy at the welcome table. “Giles has us locked up in that library working on Spike’s and your weapons. Even slaves get minimum wage.” She then proceeded to stare at the stress out slayer.

“What?” Buffy glared.

“You're starting to look a little slagged,” The cheerleader said. “What, are you just skipping foundation entirely now?”

“Cordellia,” Buffy sighed. “I have at least three lives to contend with, none of which really mesh. It's kind of like oil and water and a... third unmeshable thing.”

“Yeah, and I can see the oil,” she looked to see Joyce talking to Willow. “Now, your mom,” Buffy looked over in the direction of her mother. “That is a woman that knows how to moisturize. Did it, like, skip a generation?”

“Well,” Joyce said, walking over to the girls with Willow. “I believe that I have seen every classroom on campus, and just as I get there all of Spike’s and your teachers miraculously have stepped out.”

Willow smiled over Joyce's shoulder, proud of herself.

“Oh!” Buffy noticed Snyder heading towards them. “Oh. Um, but you haven't seen the boiler room yet. And, you know, that's really interesting, what with the boiler being in the room and all.” she laughed nervously.

Joyce offered her hand to Snyder. “Hi. I'm Joyce Summers. I'm Buffy's mother and Spike’s step-mother.”

Snyder ignored the proffered hand. “Principal Snyder. I'm afraid we need to talk. My office is down here.”

They watched as both of the adults left, and Cordellia had a huge smile on her face.

“He didn't look very happy.” Buffy spoke worriedly.

“But you and Spike did such a good job.” Willow frowned.

“When they're done talking…” Cordellia trailed off.

“What?” Buffy asked impatiently.

“My guess?” Cordellia responded. “Tenth high school reunion, you'll still be grounded.”

Buffy glared at her.

Willow rolled her eyes. “Cordellia, have some lemonade.”

Cordellia headed over to the punch table.

Giles and the rest of the gang sat in the library as they continued with their work.

“Oh, there you are.” Giles said, causing them all to look up.

“There who is?” Anya asked.

“Our new friend Drusilla. She's known as 'Dru the Crazed'. She earned her nickname by torturing her victims with various objects and her sense of fortunetelling of the future. Very pleasant. Well, here's some good news: she's barely two hundred. He's not even as old as Darla is. Which is probably taken into the account that Darla Sired her years after she herself was Sired,” he then frowned. “Oh.”

“W-what?” Tara asked.

“That's a bad look, right?” Xander added.

“I think your suggestion of running away this Saturday might've been a good one,” Giles looked around to each of the faces staring at him intently to hear the rest of the news. “Drusilla has fought two Slayers in the last century, and... she's killed them both.”

Angel put his face in his hand. “Yeah, running would have been good.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The girls watched as Snyder and Joyce made their way back to the table, Snyder looking pleased and Joyce looking angered.

“Where is Spike?” Joyce glared, then pointed at her daughter. “You, in the car, now.”

Buffy and Willow exchange a concerned look, then Buffy started towards the door, her eyes to the ground, defeated, as Joyce set of to find her step-son. Buffy turned her head to look back at Snyder, who was going around turning off the lights. Snyder went to another switch by the back wall next to a large window and turned it off.

Just then, two vampires suddenly came crashing through the window. Buffy looked back to see several more vampires follow, as they stormed into the room. Joyce paused, holding onto her daughter hand. The rest of the people nearby panicked and began to run around.

Buffy let go of her mother and walked to stand in front of the vampires, who had lined themselves up, and two female figures approached, causing the line to part.

“What can I say?” Darla grinned, her smile wide. “I couldn't wait.”