Chapter Twenty One

As Spike dragged Xander through the hallways of the school, he saw that there was pandemonium everywhere. People were crying, screaming, running and hiding. As they rounded a corner they came upon Darla and Dru shoving poles into the ceiling along with a couple of their. Spike could hear Buffy crawling in the ceiling, could practically smell her fear.

Sensing another strong vampire in the vicinity, Darla and Dru stopped, turning around to see Spike in game face, his hand around Xander’s throat.

“William!” Darla grinned.

Letting go of his hold on Xander’s neck, Spike opted to put his best friend in a headlock so the human could breath better. “Sire!”

“I’ll be damned.” Darla strode over to Spike and ran a finger down his cheek.

“Mummy-” Drusilla looked over Spike, seeing something odd, but was interrupted by Darla.

“You woke up, my lover. How does being a vampire feel? Anything different?” The blonde vampiress tilted her head.

“Everything.” Spike smiled, while Dru said it as a tortured moan.

“Yeah,” Darla ignored her first Childe. “Been against Buffy yet, or did you just wake up?”

“Been up,” Spike answered. “She's cute, but not too bright, though. I gave ‘er the puppy dog 'I'm all tortured' act,” he then laughed. “Keeps her off me back when I feed!”

Darla laughed with him. “People still fall for that Anne Rice routine. What a world!”

“I knew you were lying,” Xander narrowed his eyes, causing Spike to give him a squeeze to shut him up. “Undead liar guy.”

Spike grabbed Xander by the hair and shirt, exposing the brunette’s neck. “Wanna bite before we kill her?”

Just then, Dax and Victor broke the ceiling panel, causing Buffy to fall to the ground.

“Falling from the ceiling a second time, not so fun.” Buffy winced as she stood up, but ended on a gasp when Dru’s hand grabbed her by the throat.

“My Spike is tricking Mummy,” Dru growled in her ear. “Maybe Mum with have my attention now.”

Buffy looked around her surroundings, pausing in disbelief as she saw what was going on between Spike, Darla, and Xander’s neck.

Spike’s eyes found Buffy’s for a second, but acted as if it didn’t bother him so he could keep up his ruse with Darla.

“So,” Darla drawled, taking a quick glance towards Dru and Buffy, then turned back to Spike. “You’ve been up since last night. I haven't seen you in the killing fields yet.”

“I'm not much for company.” Spike shrugged.

Darla frowned for a moment. “I thought so. So, why are you so scared of this Slayer?”

Spike looked between his love and his Sire. “Scared?”

“Look at you. I bet this, uh, tortured thing is an act, right?” Darla backed away a few steps. “You're not... Broken?”

“Remember I used to fight alongside her?” Spike tilted his head. “Hey, you think you can take her alone? Be my guest. I'll just feed and run.”

He roared and bended to Xander’s neck, and to Buffy’s horror and her astonishment, Darla stopped him. “Wait! We’re family, we’ll do it together.”

The two blonde vampires slowly leaned in to Xander’s neck, but at the last moment, Darla punched Spike in the face, causing him to stagger back.

“You are my Childe! You think you can fool me!?” Darla shrieked. “You were my... Masterpiece!”

Spike shrugged. “Things change.”

“I can’t believe this!” Darla grabbed the pole she had dropped. “I’m very cross with you William.”

At that, it sent both Buffy and Spike into action. Spike shoved Xander out of the way and lunged for his Sire, along with Buffy sending Drusilla a backwards kick to the stomach.

When Dru righted herself, she stared into Buffy’s eyes. “The last Slayer I killed, she begged for her life.”

“I’m not the begging kind,” Buffy slowly walked to the vampiress, watching her intently. “You both shouldn'ta come here.”

“You’ve messed up my doilies,” Dru hissed. “You’ve put the sparkles in William. I will take them out.”

Buffy shook her head, taking a guess at what Dru was meaning. “Spike is fine the way he is. No need for him to run around soulless.”

“No,” Dru pouted. “I don’t like the sparkles. They aren’t fun.”

“Sparkles are fun!” Buffy reasoned. “Pretty and shiny and … sparkle-y. You should like the sparkles.”

“He will be how he was supposed to be,” Dru then smirked. “And after that, if you’re lucky, we’ll take you home to have a tea party. Maybe we’ll both have fun enjoying you. I promise it won’t hurt… much.”

“No, Dru,” Buffy narrowed her eyes, then punched the vampiress in the face. “It's gonna hurt a lot.”

While Buffy and Spike had their battles, Giles and the Scooby Gang left the library, helping everyone escape. Joyce and the group she was with left the science classroom, but instead of going to her husband, she saw Buffy and Spike fighting. Seeing an ax on the wall next to a fire extinguisher, the elder Summers broke the glass case.

Xander was fighting Dax, avoiding several punches and kicks. His own punch missed, and he got kicked to the ground from behind by Victor. Victor then grabbed him by the neck, but was punched off by Spike, who had took the time while Darla was on the ground to save his best friend.

Spike then dodged a punch from his Sire and landed four of his own. Darla grabbed his arm and shoved him into the wall, causing paint to chip and a dent in the wall. Spike slid down quickly, causing Darla’s next punch to go through the wall. He got behind the blonde vampiress and kicked her high and hard in the neck.

“You will pay!” Dru growled at Buffy, grabbing a pole and swung it at Buffy’s face, causing the blonde to fly back and land on the floor, stunned. “Bad Sunshine!”

Dru stood over Buffy and pulled her weapon back, ready to strike, but she suddenly got hit in the back of the head with a ax. The vampiress sprawled to the floor looking up to see her attacker, Joyce, standing over her with an ax in her hand, ready to swing again.

“You get the hell away from my daughter!” Joyce said in a threatening voice.

Darla looked to see her favorite Childe holding a pole above herself to protect against any blows and the female Slayer getting on her feet.

The blonde vampiress rushed to grab Dru, then looked between the Slayers and Joyce. “Humans!”

She then pulled Dru to her feet, then ran through the lounge and out the broken window, followed by Dax, Victor, and the rest of their army.

“Well, that didn’t make a lick of sense,” Spike said, helping Xander up and moving to his lover and his step-mother. “I’m not even human.”

Joyce exhaled the breath she hadn’t realized she had been holding and dropped the ax. “Nobody lays a hand on my children.”