Chapter Twenty Three

Joyce watched with amusement and adoration as her beloved husband cleaned his glasses for the fifth time since they had began to wait for his son and her daughter.

“Spike and Buffy…You’re sure?” He asked as he placed the glasses back on the bridge of his nose.

“Rupert, I know what they were doing.” Joyce rolled her eyes in a way that had Giles wonder if that was where Buffy learned her calm sarcasm from. And the eye roll.

“Maybe we should have had Buffy and Dawn switch rooms so she wouldn’t be too close to his room?” He took his glasses off to clean them, but Joyce stopped the movement with a hand on his arm.

“And have them sneak around?” She then gave him a soft smile along with a soft look in the eyes. “Relax, dear.”

He placed them back on his nose, and then let out a sigh, “I’m not sure what to think about this. I’m feeling two different sides to this. First, I’m happy for my son, because I know he’s always liked Buffy, perhaps loved her. Then there’s the strange notion for me to pat my son on the back for picking such a lovely girl, which I will dismiss. Second, it’s for Buffy’s sake. I’ve always thought of her as the daughter I’ve never had. What do you think of this?”

“It was bound to happen. Almost four years ago, when my daughters came to Sunnydale to live with us when Hank handed them over, I saw the instant attraction between Buffy and Spike. But, since they had just finished middle school, I didn’t want to think of them in that way. They were kids. Still are, with them in their senior year. But I guess I should look at them as young adults now, right?” Joyce replied


“I think they’ve both proved their maturity, time and time again, what with being the Chosen Two,” Giles took her hand in his. “But, it is hard to admit when your children have grown up.”

Buffy and Spike chose that moment to enter the kitchen and sat at table across from Giles and Joyce.

“I… er… you can go first.” Buffy looked down at the table.

“We want you to know, first off, that Rupert and I don‘t think it’s wrong that you and Spike are together.” Joyce said, causing Buffy to look back up.

“Um… okay.” Buffy mumbled.

“How do you feel about each other?” Giles asked.

“We love each other.” Buffy told them.

“We are mates, Da. Don’t worry.” Spike took Buffy’s hand in his.

Giles leaned back at that, “That makes me feel somewhat better. And I guess the rituals for mating vampires are true in my books. Now, how long has this been going on?”

“Since the night of Spike’s death.” Buffy blushed.

“Well, with the sex anyway.” Spike agreed.

“So that time was both of your first-” Joyce went to ask, but found her self blushing when Spike shook his head.

“My first.” Buffy could swear that she had turned the color of a boiled lobster.

Spike frowned. “Joyce, my first time was somethin’ I’d rather not talk to you about. An’ I’ve ‘ad other girls after Darla.” He spat her name as if it was a horrible flavor in his mouth.

“Did you both use protect-” At the confused looks on both of their faces at Joyce‘s question, Giles took his glasses off to clean them.

“Are you on the pill, honey?” Joyce asked.

Buffy gave her mother a look, “Mom, vampires can’t have children.”

“Oh,” Joyce blushed, feeling a little stupid, then when she saw Dawn bounding in, stood up from her seat. “I’ll make dinner.”

“What happened to talking after dinner?” Spike asked his father.

“She changed her mind.” Giles mumbled, then his eyes flashed with interest suddenly. “Well, about you both being mates-”

Buffy interrupted. “Giles, I hardly think you want to hear the details.”

Giles then turned red. “Perhaps your right.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was a couple weeks later that Spike and Buffy where at the Bronze… without their friends. Correction: Angel and Cordellia were having their own date at the same place, sitting across the room, drinking coffee.

Buffy frowned at her and her mate’s progress of the night. First off, she had been late due to running into a vamp at Pop’s Pumpkin Patch, then so, she wouldn’t be late, decided she would show up, hair messy, and a little winded and sweaty from the fight. Now, she sat with Spike, not sure of a way to begin the conversation.

And to her utter horror, Spike sat back, a frown on his face. “A date. Who am I kidding?”

Buffy flushed in embarrassment, then stood up. “Know what? I need to go... put a bag over my head.”

Spike stood up, grabbing her arm. “It’s not you. It’s me.” Seeing the tears form in her eyes he went on to explain, “Dates are things normal people have. Girls who have time to think about nail polish and facials. Guys who have time to go over their outfits and think if he should have gotten the chocolates instead of the flowers. You know what I think about, ever since I’ve become the Slayer? Ambush tactics. Beheading. Not exactly the stuff dreams are made of.”

It took a moment for his words to process, and when they did, Buffy let out a slow smile and released the breath she had been holding. “You got me flowers.”

If Spike could have turned red, he would have. “I, uh, forgot them in my room.”

Buffy let out a nervous laugh. “And here I thought you were being quiet because you were thinking that perhaps this was a bad idea, not because of my lateness and bad looks.”

Spike smiled and pulled her against his body, his arms around her waist, kissing her on the mouth softly. “Anything with you, luv, would never be a bad idea.” He kissed her again. “And luv, you never look bad.”