Chapter Twenty Four

“This is a horrible idea.” Spike whined as he and his friends entered Ethan's Costume Shop two days before Halloween.

“Well, don’t look at me,” Buffy said, smiling when he wrapped his arms around her waist. “It’s not my fault Snyder’s in charge of the volunteer safety program for Halloween this year.”

“And note his interesting take on the volunteer concept.” Xander rolled his eyes going over to the toy weapons he spotted.

“Just what we needed,” Angel said, looking to see what was in the counter showcase. “A bunch of little kids that need people to take them trick-or- treating.”

“ Sign up and get your own pack of sugar-hyped little runts for the night.” Willow added, finding the costume she wanted.

“I'll stick to vampires.” Buffy looked up to Spike and smiled.

“You better.” He grinned, nipping her neck playfully.

Buffy then huffed. “Too bad he didn’t believe me when I told him I had developed carpal tunnel syndrome, and could tragically no longer hold a flashlight.”

Spike brought her hand to his groin. “I have something else in in mind for you to hold.”

Buffy turned red and freed her hand in time for Willow walked back over to them.

“Well, what else were you planning on doing tonight?” The red head asked.

Buffy grinned. “I was gonna stay in and veg,” she took a glance at Spike. “Among other things. Besides, it’s the one night a year things are supposed to be quiet for us Slayers.”

“Halloween quiet?” Xander said after grabbing his costume. “Oh, I figured it'd be a big old vamp scare- apalooza.”

They continued to walk around the store.

“Not according to Giles,” Buffy told them. “He swears that Halloween night is, like, dead for the undead.”

“Those wacky vampires! That's why I love 'em! They just keep you guessing!” Xander smiled, then gave his best friend a smirk.

Spike rolled his eyes. “I wish I could go with that tradition, but seeing as I still go to school…”

“So, what'd you get?” Buffy asked Willow.


“A time-honored classic!” Willow smiled, holding up a ghost costume.

“Okay, Will,” Buffy arched a perfect eyebrow. “Can I give you a little friendly advice?”

Willow frowned. “It's not spooky enough? “

“It's just...” Buffy began carefully. “You're missing the whole point of Halloween.”

Willow grinned. “Free candy?”

“It's come as you aren't night,” Buffy explained. “The perfect chance for a girl to get sexy and wild with no repercussions.

“Oh, she doesn’t get wild.” Angel came to the red head’s rescue.

Willow nodded in agreement. “Wild on me equals spaz.”

“Come as you aren’t night,” Xander then laughed. “Hey, Spike, you could go as a human!” The gang that was present narrowed their eyes. “Oh, I guess it’s too early to crack jokes about that.”

“Don't underestimate yourself,” Buffy continued the conversation with Willow. “You've got it in you.”

“Well,” Willow turned to Xander. “What did you get?”

He held up a toy military rifle out of his bag so they could see.

Spike arched his scarred eyebrow. “That's not a costume.”

The brunette gave them all a look. “I got fatigues from an Army surplus at home. Call me the Two-Dollar Costume King, baby!”

Angel rolled his eyes. “I thought that was why we were here instead of Party Town with Cordy, Anya, and Tara.”

“Hey, look, Xander…” Buffy said as he pointed the rifle at her. “I'm... really sorry about this morning.”

“Do you mind, Buffy? I'm trying to repress.” He told her.

“Okay, okay, then I promise, from now on I'll let you get pummeled.” She got out of Spike’s grasp and put her chin on Xander’s shoulder and pouted.

Xander rolled his eyes. “Thank you.”

Buffy smiled and turned to Angel. “What did you get?”

He held up fangs. “I thought it would be great irony.”

They all rolled their eyes, and to that a costume caught Buffy’s eyes. They all followed her to see her looking at frilly, red, billowy Victorian gown.

“Look at this,” she said, placing a hand on it.

“It's amazing.” Willow was awed.

“Too bulky. I prefer women in spandex.” Xander grinned.

Just then the owner of the store noticed the group looking at the dress and went over to them. “Please, let me.” He then took the dress off of it’s dressmaker’s mannequin.

“Oh, i-it's…” Buffy went to tell him it was okay, that she couldn’t afford it but he stopped her.

“Magnificent. Yes, I know. There.” Ethan held it up to her in front of a mirror. “My. Meet the hidden princess. I think we found a match. Don't you?”

Buffy looked to Ethan. “Oh, uh, I-I'm sorry. There's no way I could ever afford this.”

“Oh, nonsense. I feel quite moved to make you a deal you can't refuse,” He then looked to Spike. “I’ve got just the thing that would match you to your girlfriend.”

As Willow, Xander, and Angel went towards the front of the store, Buffy and Spike followed Ethan.

“This makes things more interesting.” Spike said, looking at Ethan, wondering where he had seen the man before. Well, one thing was for sure. The older man was British.

Buffy laughed. “We can be Elizabeth and William Giles, Lord and Lady of Sunnydale.”

Spike gave his mate a look. “Elizabeth?”

“It’s…” Buffy turned red. “Uh, my real name.”

“Do what!?”

“Well,” she explained. “When I got to elementary school, I decided I wanted to be called ‘Buffy’. It kind of stuck.”

“Well, if everyone’s name is changed in the family, why not yours also?” he said sarcastically.

“What do you mean?”

“Angel’s real name is Liam. His parents gave him the nickname ‘Angel’ because of his ‘angelic face’. I don’t see how, he’s got too large a forehead to be called an angel.”

Buffy gave him a look. “Are you telling me the only grandchildren in our entire family that don’t go by their regular names are Dawn and Conner?”

“What about Anya?” He asked.

“Anyanka.”

“Oh. Then, uh, yeah.”

“That’s… that’s kind of sad.”