Chapter Twenty Six

Dawn, Buffy, Tara, Willow, and Cordy were all hanging out in the restroom. All the girls except Cordellia, who was checking herself in the mirror, redoing her make-up, were pouring over the diary that Willow and Buffy ‘borrowed’.

Buffy was skimming through the pages when Dawn pointed, causing the blonde Slayer to pause at the page. “Look at her.”

It was a drawing of a noble woman with a tiny waist wearing a billowy gown.

“Who is she?” Tara asked.

“Looks like Darla,” Buffy tilted her head at the picture. “So that's the kinda girl she looked like when Spike first met her. She's pretty coiffed.”

“Maybe when she was human she was a noble woman or something,” Willow said. “Which means being beautiful was sort of her job.”

“And clearly Darla was a workaholic,” Buffy sat back and sighed. “And I hate to admit it, but she still is pretty. I'll never be like her.”

“C'mon! She's not that pretty.” Dawn frowned at her sister’s forlorn face. “I mean, look at her. She's got a funny... uh, waist. Look how tiny that is.”

“Thank you. Now I feel better.” Buffy said sarcastically, but smiled at her sister’s effort.

Tara exhaled. “No. She's like a freak. A circus freak. Yuk.”

Buffy exhaled. “Musta been wonderful. Put on some fantabulous gown and go to a ball like a princess, and have horses and servants, and yet more gowns.”

“Yeah,” Willow agreed. “Still, I think I prefer being able to vote.” Buffy raised her brows, causing Willow to smile. “Or I will when I can.”

Cordy put her make-up away and looked to her friends. “Darla couldn’t have been a noble woman. Did you see her Parent-Teacher Night?”

Dawn nodded her head. “I know. Shank much?”

Buffy narrowed her eyes. “Dawn!”

“Kid’s got a point,” Cordy went on. “I wouldn’t be surprised if Darla was a street hooker in her time.”

Buffy continued turning the pages. “And now I know where my little sister gets the attitude and language.”

Cordy put her arms around Dawn. “I know, it makes me proud that I’ll have the perfect girl to replace me when I graduate. She has such potential-”

“The day that happens, I promise to…” Buffy stopped when she came across a picture of a man and a woman. Being intimate. NC-17 rated. “Whoa. What does Giles read!”

Dawn looked over and exclaimed a “Wow!” before Cordellia covered her eyes.

Willow took the book. “It’s a claiming rit…” Willow looked to Buffy. “You and Spike…”

Cory dropped her hands, revealing Dawn’s shocked face, along with the others.

Buffy flamed red. “I… well… we… uh, yeah.”

“Damn,” Cordy breathed. “I owe Xander twenty bucks.”

“See, the thing is, the claiming thing… it just happened so fast…” Buffy went to explain herself.

“Y-you both love each other, right?” Tara wondered.

Buffy nodded her head and smiled. “Yes, very much.”

“No wonder Spike’s been more love-y dove-y with you.” Dawn said, awed.

“Hey,” Cordy got the girls attention. “Could we maybe not tell Xander so I don’t owe him money.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “I think he will figure it out sooner or later.”

Willow looked at the pages, reading them, “No wonder Giles has been wiggy.”

Buffy took back the book. “It’s nothing about the physical stuff. He knows we… you know. Spike and I had a lovely parent talk with him and mom.”

“You think it has something to do with the actual claim?”

“What else is there?” Buffy looked over the words, then handed the book back to Willow. “I’m not a book person.”

Willowed scanned over the words. “Well, it basically says that after a while you both will be able to read each others thoughts and emotions. It’s like a vampire form of marriage and… oh.”

“Is that a bad ‘oh’?” Cordellia asked.

“No, not exactly.” Willow handed the book to Tara.

“It says that if a vampire claims a human, the human will be immortal, the only way of death is by loss of blood or beheadment.” Tara explained.

Dawn smiled. “Hey, Buffy, that’s cool. You’ll be with Spike as long as he lives and you don’t have to worry so much about dieing on patrol.”

Buffy hopped off of a sink. “I-I guess that’s okay. But, what if I die?” She turned to Tara. “What will happen to Spike?”

“He’ll feel an overwhelming sense of loss and grief.” Tara closed the book.

“Well,” Willow and Tara got off of the sinks. “We just have to keep you from dying so Spike doesn’t go suicidal.”

Cordy folded her arms. “Yeah, I mean, how hard can that be?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was later that night that Buffy stood at her long mirror, wearing her gown and a long, brown wig, putting in earrings.

Willow was in the bathroom changing. “So are we meeting the rest of the gang at the school?”

“That’s the plan,” Buffy told her best friend. “Then we all are coming here after trick-or-treating. Mom and Giles are gonna be out.”

“What do you think everyone will look like?” Willow wondered.

“Not exactly sure,” Buffy answered. “But you can count on Cordy looking a little skanky.” After making sure everything looked alright, she left her room to go to the bathroom door. “Okay, Willow, come out. You can't hide in there all night.”

“O-okay,” Willow said nervously. “But, but promise you won't laugh?”

Buffy smiled. “I promise.”

Willow opened the door and came out wearing boots, a short, black leather skirt and a burgundy, long-sleeved, V-necked, midriff-baring top. Buffy could tell the redhead was
uncomfortable, and Willow quickly stepped over to her ghost sheet and picked it up.
“Wow!” Buffy smiled. “You're a dish!” Willow tried to hide herself with the sheet, but Buffy took it from her and tossed it aside. “I mean, really. Tara’s gonna love it.”

Willow tried to cover herself with her arms. “But this just isn't me.”

“And that's the point,” Buffy said, taking Willow to her room to show her the mirror. “Look, Halloween is the night that not you is you, but not you. Y'know?” The door bell rang. “Oh! That's Xander. Are you ready?”

“Yeah,” Willow nodded her head nervously. “O-o-okay.”

“Cool!” Buffy smiled, then called to Spike as she went to answer the door. “Hurry up Spike!”

Buffy went down the stairs and opened the door for Xander. He entered, saluting with his toy rifle in his hand.

“Private Harris reporting for…” He paused, seeing Buffy in her costume. “Buffy! Lady of Buffdom, Duchess of Buffonia, I am in awe! I completely renounce spandex!”

“Thank you, kind sir,” Buffy curtsied and Xander bowed. “But wait till you see…”

They turned to see Willow standing with them, with her ghost sheet on. It said “BOO!” on the front in large bold letters. “Hi.”

“…Casper.” Buffy ended, disappointed.

“Hey, Will! That's a fine boo you got there.” Xander just continued to stare.

Just then they heard a hysterical laugh and all three turned, their eyes nearly popping out of their sockets as Spike continued down the stairs. “Willow, why do you…” Seeing the looks they were giving him, he stopped with a frown. “What?”

Spike’s costume definitely topped all of theirs. He wore a brown unruly curly wig, hiding his platinum blonde hair. He had round glasses on the bridge of his nose, and his clothing consisted of a long white shirt tucked in black britches with a blood red vest and a black overcoat. His shoes where black leather loafers. His tie was black and to top it all off, he had a gold pocket watch, the chain only visible.

“Look at the black tweed man.” Xander was the first one to speak.

“You’re one to talk, G.I. Joe.” Spike muttered.

“You look good, sweetie.” Buffy smiled, grabbing a rose from a vase, made the stem shorter, then put it in the right chest pocket of Spike’s coat.”

“It’s like a cool version of Giles…” Willow said, then frown, even though the other teens couldn’t see. “Not that Giles isn’t cool, cause he is-”

Spike grinned. “We know what you mean.” He then turned to Buffy and put her arm around his. “Are you ready, Milady?”

“As ready as I ever will be.” Buffy smiled.