Chapter Twenty Seven

Willowed turned away from one of her classmates angrily. “If I see one more idiot that thinks witches are all hairy moles and rotted teeth-”

Willow stopped when a little kindergartener pulled on her costume. “Excuse me, are you Willow, my group leader?”

They all looked down to see a tiny girl dressed in a similar witch costume that Willow described.

“Oh, look at you!” Willow exclaimed, kneeling by the girl. “You are just the cutest thing!”

Tara smiled. “I-I thought you said-”

“I know, but look, with the hat, and the, the wart!” Willow smiled. “Oh! Let's go fill your tummy up with sugary niblets, okay? My group is this way.”

Buffy smiled as Tara and Willow led the cute little witch away and looked to Spike. “You think we’ll have any cuties in our group?”

Spike grinned. “I know we got one already.”

“Buffy!” Buffy looked to see Anya heading towards them in a big bunny suit. Not the sexy kind.

“Anya?” Spike arched an eye brow.

Anya paused. “What? I chose to be something scary this year. Do you know where Xander is?”

Buffy pointed to Xander and his little squad to which Anya headed in that direction.

“So, you see nibblet?” Spike looked amongst the crowd of children entering the high school with costumes.

“Mom let her go over to Janice’s,” Buffy then turned to Spike. “Which means, after the gangs leaves-”

Spike smirked. “We get the place to ourselves.”

Snyder then brought a group over to Spike and Buffy. “This is your group, Summers and Giles. No need to speak to them. The last thing they need is both of your influence. Just bring them back in one piece and I won't expel you both.” He then started to leave.

Buffy bended down to the kids. “Hi.”

Snyder turned. “Ah, ah”

Buffy straightened back up and Spike rolled his eyes.

Meanwhile, Xander stood in the hall with his girlfriend, waiting for the rest of his group. Larry walked over, wearing a pirate costume.

“Where's your bodyguard, Harris? Curling her hair?” Larry taunted, jumping and Xander, making him flinch. He laughed in Xander’s face and went on down the hall.

Xander pointed his rifle at his retreating back, then dismissed him. Sympathetically, Anya patted Xander on the shoulder.

Cordellia and Angel made their way towards their friends, but stopped at Oz’s locker where he was checking his guitar. Cordellia was wearing a leopard patterned tight-fitting cat suit with black cat ears and tail, and black stilettos. Angel wore his plastic fangs, along with a red pendant and a black cape over a black suit.

“Oz. Oz.” Cordy said, getting his attention.

Oz looked up at her. “Hey, Cordellia. Jeez, you're like a great big cat.”

“It's my costume,” she said. “Are you guys playing tonight?”

“Yeah, at the Shelter Club.” He told her.

“I just wanted to make sure that you guys were gonna play a my place for New Years,” Cordy said. “I just wanted to make sure that Mr. I'm-the-lead-singer-I'm-so-great-I-don't-have-to-show-up-at-some-of-my-gigs is gonna be there.”

“Yeah, y'know, he's just going by 'Devon' now.” Oz replied.

“Well, you can tell him that he better be there, and that I didn't even mention it. And that I didn't even see you. So that's just fine.” Cordy said frowning.

Oz raised an eyebrow. “So, what do I tell him?

“Nothing! Jeez! Get with the program,” She walked off in a huff, but not before shouting over her shoulder. “Just make sure everyone is there.”

“Why can't I meet a nice girl like that?” Oz rolled his eyes sarcastically.

Willow and Tara went down the hall with her group, but not before Oz turning and bumping right into Willow.

“Oh! I’m sorry.” Oz said, not noticing Tara.

“Sorry.” Willow said,, causing Oz to look around, seeing Tara, then turning to the ghost. “Willow?”

“Oh, Oz!” Willow titled her head. “Sorry I didn’t see you there. You’ve met Tara?”

Oz shook the blonde witches hand. “You’re Willow’s girlfriend, right? Like the costume.”

Tara was wearing an authentic blue gypsy gown with her hair tied back in a blue scarf. “T-thanks. You’re not dressed?”

Oz looked down. “Oh I am.” This caused both girls to blush. “Just not for Halloween. I have a gig tonight.”

Willow turned to Tara. “He’s in a band. It’s very good. We’ll have to see him when he’s at The Bronze.”

Tara nodded smiling, then turning back to Oz. “I- we’d love too.”

“See you both around.” Oz smiled as he walked away.

Down the hall, Anya rolled her eyes as Xander briefed his group. He had them all lined up, standing at attention.

“Okay,” Xander began. “On sleazing extra candy: tears are key. Tears will normally get you the double-bagger. You can also try the old 'you missed me' routine, but it's risky. Only go there for chocolate. Understood?”

All the kids nodded their head.

“Okay, troops,” He turned and faced down the hall. The kids followed his lead. “Let’s move out.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dawn was walking down a residential street seeing high school students, also parents, with costumed kids walking around, the sound of kids yelling and laughing. Dawn paused and looked around, grinning slightly and moving to her left. She then decided to walk down a dark alley, the children gone and distant police sirens instead. She then heard a banging noise and slowed down.

“Hello?” She walked forward slowly, picking up a piece of wood and holding it like a club.

She could vaguely see the shape of two people through the slats of a large wooden box. She walked up to the box's opening and saw that it was two young people kissing.

“Hey!” The guy exclaimed.

“Ooh!” Dawn dropped the piece of wood.

“Perv.” The girl frowned.

“Sorry. I thought-” Dawn backed away, then bumped into someone behind her.

She turned around with a gasp of fear, then smiled in relief when she recognized the other girl.

“Hey Summers. Did you get over the wall okay?” Janice smiled.

“Yeah,” Dawn told her. “My parents think I’m staying at your house.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Buffy and Spike walked with their group as they were coming back from a house, She crouched down to see what they got.

“What did Mrs. Davis give you?” They all pulled out tooth brushes. “She must be stopped. Let's hit one more house.”

Spike smiled to the kids as Buffy stood up. “We still have a few more minutes before we need to get you back.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Ahh,” Janice nodded at Dawn. “The Mominator thinks I'm staying at yours.” She laughed. “Can't believe they fell for that one, like, own a TV.” Dawn laughed along with her.

“So where're we meeting?” Dawn asked.

“The park,” Janice said proudly, then in a spooky voice, “That's where all the monsters gather on Halloween.”

As soon as they made it to the park, the guys walked over to the girls.

“Hey baby.” One of them hugged Janice.

“Hey.” Janice grinned.

“What took you so long?” He asked.

“Ah, we stopped for crimes and misdemeanors,” Janice told him, then turned to Dawn. “Zack, this is my friend Dawn I was telling you about.”

“Hel-loooo,” Zack leered at Dawn and Janice jokingly shoved him. “Ow.”

“Hey,” The other guys said to Dawn, holding out his hand. “Justin.”

Dawn shook his hand. “I know. I've seen you around at a couple of parties.”

“I’ve seen you too.” Justin smiled.

“So! What do you guys wanna do?” Janice asked.

Zack and Justin exchanged a suggestive look, then looked at the girls. Dawn smiled bashfully.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ethan sat in his back room, the only light from the candles. “Janus, evoco vestram animam. Exaudi meam causam. Carpe noctem pro consilio vestro. Veni, appare et nobis monstra quod est infinita potestas.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dawn was holding a pumpkin over he head when suddenly a arm grabbed her causing her to shriek in fear and drop the pumpkin, it smashing on the steps. She looked up fearfully to see the old man leaning over her.

“Shouldn't oughta mess with those,” The old man said. “Sometimes they bite.”

Justin and the other two teens ran over. “Get away from her!”

“Don't make me go kung-fu on you, man!” Zack said, making kung-fu movie gestures.

The old man just stared, then laughed. “Come on inside, kids, got somethin' special for ya.” He turned to go back inside. “Daddy's got a treat!”

Zack smiled. “Cool.”

Janice was beyond scared. “No no no. We are so not going in there. Dawn, tell them!”

Dawn looked nervously towards the door.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Willow and Tara followed their charges along the porch to the door.

“C'mon, guys.” Tara smiled.

One of the kids that was wearing a green monster mask on his head rang the bell and stepped back, as old lady answered the door. The kid with the mask pulled it down over his face.

“Trick-or-treat!” All the kids said.

“Oh, my goodness,” The old lady looked around. “Aren't you all adorable!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dawn and Janice burst out of the old man’s house after Justin told them he stole the old man’s wallet. Not that the boys were vampires and Justin had just drained the old man in the kitchen were he was going to serve rice crispy treats.

“Oh my god!” Dawn exclaimed, scared, then grinned. “Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!”

The girls ran off down the street with the boys behind them, walking more slowly.

Justin held his stomach. “Dude, that guy was rank.”

“Bet a spritz of Dawn would wash that right out. So what do you think? Lunchables?” Zack said, then exchanged a look with Justin. “Or should we go all the way and turn 'em?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ethan sat in the backroom in the midst of his spell. “Persona se corpum et sanguium commutandum est. Vestra sancta praesentia concrescet viscera. Janus! Sume noctem!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The wind began to blow eerily as Buffy and Spike lead their group. The two lovers then exchanged a look. Something was going on that wasn’t quite right.