Chapter Four

Joyce watched at Buffy stared at the building of Sunnydale High School. She felt her heart tug, seeing depression under the thick cloud of mixed relief and nervousness in the teen’s green eyes.

“Honey, why did you leave in the first place?” Joyce asked her daughter tentatively.

Buffy looked to her mother unsure what to say. She went with the truth. “I was scared.”

Joyce put a hand on Buffy’s shoulder, “About what sweetie?”

Buffy sighed. “There was this thing… between me and Spike. I wasn’t ready for a relationship, so I ran.”

Her mother nodded her head in understanding. “You know, the past year Spike had been moping around the house. Since the time you left. He got defensive or left the room whenever you were mentioned in conversation… he never said it, but I knew he missed you.”

Buffy wiped her eyes. “He really died.”

Joyce felt her eyes well up in tears. “Xander brought him back by CPR.”

The bell rang for school to being, to which Buffy opened the car door. “See you later mom.”

“Buffy.” The girl stopped and turned to her mother’s call. She saw a smile on the older woman’s face. “Try not to get kicked out.”

Buffy grinned for the first in what it seemed like a whole time. “I promise.”

At that Buffy faced the school, taking a deep breath.

In front of the building Xander was weaving through the crowd of students, rolling on his skateboard. “'Scuse me, comin' through, pardon me, 'scuse me, whoa! 'Scuse
me, not sure how to stop! Please move, whoa, 'scuse me...” He saw a flash of long blonde hair out the corner of his eye and looked up to see Buffy entering the school. “Whoa!”

He stared at her, disbelieving that she was back, not noticing that he was heading right for the stair railing. He crashed into and fell beneath it, grunting in pain.

Willow walked up to him and stepped over him to prevent from tripping over his legs.

“I’m okay. I feel good.” Xander looked up to see Willow and stood up. “Willow! You're so very much the person that I wanted to see!”

Willow tilted her head. “What are you doing on the ground? And shouldn’t you be off somewhere with Anya?”

“Buffy’s back.” He blurted.

Willow’s face grew serious. “What? Does Spike know? Does-”

“I don’t know. I saw her walk into the building.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Buffy sat at a chair in the principal’s office, her school records open on Principal Snyder’s desk.

“Buffy Summers, senior, late of Hemery High in Los Angeles, interesting record, quite a career…” The snobbish man stated. He sat in front of her, leaning on his desk. “Welcome back to Sunnydale. Can’t say I’ll be excited to see what kind of delinquent you are.”

Buffy frowned. “I know my transcripts are a little... colorful.”

“Do you think, uh, ‘colorful' is the word?” He asked as he tapped the paper. “Not, uh, 'dismal'?”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Wasn't that bad!”

Snyder looked at her pointedly. “You burnt down the gym.”

Buffy exhaled. “I did, I really did, but... You're not seeing the big picture here, I mean, that gym was full of vampi... asbestos.”

The principal put the paper back in his filing cabinet. “Your class schedule is with the secretary. I’ll be watching you, Summers.”

Sighing, Buffy left the office, her schedule in hand, not noticing when a girl knocked into her causing her purse to fall and spill all over the hall way, “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay.” The girl said as she walked away.

“I think that was Harmony…” Buffy looked down to see the mess on the ground. “Oh…”

Xander turned around hearing the spill, and saw Buffy on the ground picking up her things. He went to her and helped her pick up the mess. “You know, it’s kind of crazy. Not hearing from you in a whole year.”

“What?” Buffy looked up to see one of her best friends from the past. “Xander.”

He chuckled nervously. “We all missed you. Hell, I think even Cordy missed you.”

Buffy gave him a smile. Suddenly, it felt like things would get better. “I’m back now.”

Buffy stood up her purse in hand. Seeing one more strewn item, Xander bent down and handed it to her.

“Here’s your…” His eyes lit in confusion. “Stake?”

“Now, luv, don’t you think that’s a little extreme?” A smooth British voiced spoke, startling them. “You can’t really use that at this time of day.”

Buffy whirled around to see Spike leaning on a locker, his hands in the pocket of his black duster, “Hey, I didn’t see you this morning.”

Xander stood off to the side, watching their exchange, “I’m guessing you carrying a stake around isn’t a big deal…” He looked to his best friend. “Spike?”

Spike just shrugged. A moment later, Willow walked over to the trio with Angel, Anya, and Tara.

Anya hugged her cousin excitedly. “I’m family and you didn’t even call me.”

“Sorry.” Buffy apologized softly and saw how at ease Spike was with her friends. “So, what’s been going on? Oh, and what happened to Principal Flutie? Cause I got to tell you, Snyder isn’t that friendly.”

Spike was the one to speak. “Flutie was eaten by students that were possessed with Hyena Spirits.”

Willow paled. “Right, Ha! Good joke!”

“Guys, Buffy is the new Vampire Slayer. She was called after I died.” Spike announced.

There was a pregnant silence at which Willow interrupted with a nervous laugh. “Yeah, it wasn’t a joke.”

Buffy put her face in her hands. “Not this town.”

“W-What do you mean by that?” Tara asked.

Buffy looked up. “Does this town have vampires?”

Xander nodded. “That, among other evil things.”

“That fire at Hemery, was that you?” Anya asked.

Buffy sighed, “Yeah. Vampires decided to ruin the ‘Hug the World’ dance.” She looked between them all. “So, you guys, what? Banded together?”

Willow smiled. “Yeah, were the Scoobies.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “They came up with the name.”

“Well, we’re also called the Slayerettes,” Willow grinned and turned to Buffy. “Tara and I, we’re the witches-”

“I help with the fighting and well, Cordy, she’s just around cause she’s with me now.” Angel continued the introduction.

“Anya’s good with the research and I help with the fighting too…” Xander frowned at that. “Well, not so much as the fighting and getting beat down… But hey! I can whittle stakes! That’s what I do.”

Willow looked at her watched. “Well, look at the time. The bell’s going to ring soon. What class do you have, Buffy?”

Buffy looked at her paper and grimaced. “History.”

The redhead took the blonde’s arm, “We’ll have fun passing notes and catching up on our lives.”

Spike watched as Buffy walked off, feeling a sense of… of something. “Buffy!”

Buffy stopped and turned around, “Yeah?”

He refused to let his nervousness show. “I’ll see you later.”