Chapter Six

It had gone impossibly quiet as Spike and his friends sat around the library, taking in the words that Giles had told them all. Just then, Buffy chose to enter the gloomy atmosphere on unawares, the double doors slamming behind her as she looked around the group. She instantly noticed the sour looks on each of their faces.

Willow and Tara were sitting at one of the tables, each holding each other’s hands… Wait, since when was Willow gay? Last she remembered, Willow was dating a guy named ‘Oz’ from the band, Dingoes Ate My Baby. There was Xander, a frown on his face as he continuously carved a stake, unaware that it was already sharp, with Anya sitting next to him, her eyes, unfocused and brimming with unshed tears as she continued to turn the pages of the book she clearly wasn’t reading. Angel was leaning against a bookshelf, his hands covering his face with Cordellia in a nearby armchair, checking the paint on her nails. Her face however showed emotion that she did really care about whatever was said.

Buffy looked to the right to see Giles cleaning his glasses. She was alerted to Spike’s presence when he stood up from sitting from the stairs. “I miss something?” At her words, everyone looked to her, realizing the entrance of the second Slayer.

There was suddenly a hollow laugh and everyone looked to Spike’s direction.

“Isn’t this just great?” He laughed, but there was no mirth shown in his face. He then looked to his father. “Tell me, do you think I’ll be able to beat this? Or should I just fucking give up and hope that who ever up there is watching me decides that I get a chance for a slot in Heaven?”

Buffy took in a sharp breath. “You’re not going to die.”

He strode over and picked up the book next to Giles and through it across the library to hit a wall loudly, causing everyone to jump and leave a dent in the paint. “Like Hell I won’t! I did last time!”

“William-” Giles went to say but was cut off.

Spike rounded on him, his face turning red with his yelling. “I HATE that name! Don’t call me it AGAIN! I go by ‘Spike’ now, alright, dad? William was a little scared boy who didn’t do so much as anything while vampires… while they did unspeakable things and cause me to kill MUM!”

The shock on everyone’s face was evident with this new information from the one-sided argument between father and son.

Giles felt his heart clench. “That wasn’t your fault.”

Spike laughed hollowly again. “Yeah, and I suppose isn’t wasn’t my fault when Darla took my innocence either.”

With that he strode out of the library, the doors slamming behind him loudly.

Buffy felt intense rage flare inside her. “What the hell?”

Giles looked around the room to see everyone’s eyes on him. He went back to the task of cleaning his glasses.

“I thought she died from sickness.” Angel’s voice broke the momentary silence.

Giles sighed, putting his glasses back on the bridge of his nose and chuckled bitterly. “And choose to go with the truth? That Anne and Spike where kidnapped and resulted in her death and his defilement?”

“W-what happened?” Tara uncharacteristically spoke up.

“It was two years ago before we moved to Sunnydale,” Giles began his eyes becoming unfocused as he began the story. “I was working late at the British Museum. But of course I was also a Watcher at the time, so I was also looking out to see any disturbances in the area due to demonic activity. Even if I didn’t have charge of a Slayer, hadn’t even met one yet, it was still my duty to look out for the welfare for the community. When I finally arrived home, I saw that Anne and Wil- Spike wasn’t there. In there place was a note left for me to read. They were taken to an old railroad station and if I wanted them back, I was to give them a book of strong magic that would help them release The Master from his imprisonment…”

Nine Years Ago…

Nine year old William could feel the intense pain causing his head to throb as he struggled to fight his blurred vision as he looked around to figure out where he was. He moved as if to reach for his glasses, but found that he couldn’t move his arms.

“Looking for these, Willy?” A female voice purred over his shoulder from the right.

Suddenly, his vision was clear when his glasses were put on, his eyes meeting cold brown ones.

“The name’s Darla, honey. And don’t be too scared…” The blonde then grinned. “I take that back. Be scared all you want.”

Her face changed then, her eyes turning amber yellow, and the smooth planes of her forehead became ridged. Her smile showed glistening fangs. William screamed, fear overcoming him at the sight of this creature. She personified all the evil he had ever heard of, had ever dreamed of.

“So, my pure William, you’ve never seen a vampire before?”

A scream sounded and he looked over to see his mother trying to fight against three male vampires as they attacked her, brutally biting her at every spot that showed her flesh. They began to rip at her clothes.

Tears falling from his young eyes, William looked away, trying to block out the sounds flesh hitting flesh, and nonstop screams echoing in the dark room.

Darla glided her hand across his face. “You’ve never seen sex either? What a sheltered child you are.”

He looked back to her, his face smeared with wet tears mixed with soot. His eyes showed hatred and determination. “I’ll bloody kill you.”

Darla took both his cheeks in her hand and pulled him closer to her face. “Good boys don’t use such language.” She gave him a quick peck on the lips, then backed away laughing. “You better hope Ripper comes here soon with that book.”

She then left the room. The screams stopped, which caused William to look to the direction of his mother. The three vampires stood up and dragged her body out of the room. Seeing he was alone, he began to struggle at his restraints. Hours later, with his wrists bleeding and shoulders sore, the rope broke, due to being old and frayed. He crashed to the ground, the noise alerting one of the three male vampires. Hearing someone approach the door, William grabbed a hold of a broken wooden pole and stood next to the door and waited. As soon as the door opened, he took a swing, hitting the vampire on the back of the head. The vampire fell to the floor and he took the opportunity to take the broken end and stabbed the vampire through the back into the heart. Utter amazement went across the young boy’s face as the vampire turned to dust before his very eyes. So the wooden stake to the heart thing was true.

Holding the makeshift stake, he left the room, seeing the a second male vampire enter from another door. Seeing the boy clutching the pole, the vampire started after him, kicking William to the ground. But as the vampire launched himself towards the prone boy, William grabbed the pole once again and held it away from his body causing the vampire to impale himself on the pole. Shakily William stood up, and started for the door when the figure of a woman enter the room.

William stopped in his tracks. “Mother?”

Anne drew near, as if she wasn’t the slightest hurt. Which her appearance told another story. “Oh, William, you're so…” She touched his face lightly. “Tender.”
“I freed myself, mum. Killed most of the vampires. Come, let us get out of here.” he took her hand, noticing it felt cold to the touch.

She smiled. “Ah, yes. Us.”

“No worries,” he assured her. Pulling on her arm as he started towards the door. “We’ll be back to Da in no time. We’ll put his behind us. He’ll take us around town to improve our spirits. Theater, perhaps. Dancing? Tell me,” He turned back to her. “What's your pleasure?”

She tilted her head. “Pleasure? To take my leave of you, of course. I feel extraordinary. It's as though I've been given new eyes. I see everything. Understand…” Sh looked over her son and frowned. “Everything.”

He stopped, disturbed at her words. “Mum?”

“I hate to be cruel - No, I don't. I used to hate to be cruel in life. Now, I find it rather freeing. Nothing less will pry your greedy little fingers off my apron strings, will it?”

“Stop. Please.”

She walked closer to him. “Ever since the day you first slithered from me like a parasite…”

Tears began to brim his eyes. “What're you s-”

Anne continued with her cruel words. “Had I known better, I could have spared myself a lifetime of tedium and just dashed your brains out when I first saw you.”

William let the tears fall. “Mum, I swear, I didn’t mean… I’ll be different, from now on.”

She snickered, and drew closer, causing him to move backwards. “Darling, it's who you'll always be. A limp... sentimental fool,” she backed him up against a wall. “You want to run, don't you? Scamper off and cry. Do you think you'll be able to love another as you do me?” she leaned in close to William, invading his personal space. “Think you'll be able to touch a woman without feeling me?” he looked around the room, panicked and disgusted, looking for a way to escape the apparent disturbing situation. “All you ever wanted was to be back inside,” she an her hands over his face, his body. “You finally got your wish, didn't you? Let her sink her teeth into me. An eternal kiss.”

He shook his head. “No. I-I didn’t-”

“You wanted them all to put their hands on me,” his mother accused him. “It gave you satisfaction, watching them. Perhaps you'd like a chance to finish off what they started.”

He pushed her away. “I love you! You were my world!” He then looked away from her. “Not now... not like this.”

“Just like this. This is what you always wanted. Who's my little prince?” she leaned into him, trying to kiss him.

William pushed her away, knocking her down. “NO!”

“Get out. Get out!” she stood, grabbing the forgotten broken wooden pole a began swinging it at him. He struggled with her, and got a good hold of it, grabbing it from her hands. His mother’s face changed into the very demons that had attacked them. “There, there, precious. It will only hurt for a moment.”

“I'm sorry.” William said in a small voice as he drove the wooden shaft into his mother’s heart.

Her vampire face melted away, leaving the sympathetic face of his mother to stare at him in shock for an instant before she turned into dust before his eyes.

As the dust settled, William saw Darla leaning against the door, a smirk on her face. “Did you like my present, my William?”

In blinding rage he practically flew at her. “You crazy bint!”

Darla overcame his attack and rolled on top of him, sending the makeshift stake across the room. “Not as crazy as she was. But…” she licked the side of his neck. “I did see her point.”

“What?” William practically growled as he tried to buck her off of him.

“You be a good boy and maybe I’ll let you enjoy it.” she thrust her fangs into his neck and drained him only, until his movements became sluggish as if he were drugged.