Chapter Seven

Present Day

“Oh my God.” Anya’s voice rang out, interrupting the story.

Giles once again went to the task of cleaning his glasses. “You can guess what she did to him when he was basically paralyzed from the lack of blood.”

Tears ran down Willow’s eyes. “He was only nine.”

“But why should that matter?” Xander commented bitterly. “Vampires are vile, evil things.”

“W-what h-happened? D-did you save h-him?” Tara asked.

Giles shook his head, “I was too late.”

“Then how did he get away? Cordellia asked what everyone wanted to know.

“She left him alone when she was done with him, in search for me, to which gave him enough time to regain some strength…” Giles shuttered when he thought of the scene he had come across when he finally made it to the old railroad station.

“Go on.” Buffy commanded, bringing the older man back from his thoughts.

“When I found him in the old railroad station, I was greeted with a disturbing sight… my son had found railroad stakes and was torturing the last male vampire… screaming at the creature and laughing at the pain he inflicted…”

“William…” Giles spoke softly.

The boy looked up to see his father, a haunted look in his blue eyes. “Da?”

“Oh, Will.” Giles dropped to his knees.

William looked down at himself as if seeing the blood and the railroad spike he held in his hand for the first time. “I want a new name.” Hatred showed in his face. “She liked that name.” he rolled the spike around his hand. “… Spike. I’m Spike now.”

He then looked up, tears in his eyes. “Daddy?”

He then ran to his father, and held on to him, crying his heart out, turning back into a nine year old boy who had faced many horrors.


“What is the prophesy? Buffy asked, bringing everyone out of their thoughts when Giles had finished his story.

Giles went to the book that Spike had thrown and picked it up to find the passage. “A warrior of light will enter darkness in death. In order for balance, the warrior must bond with the remaining light. For the past will come and create disorder and bring about the end of the world.

“Are you sure it’s about Spike and not about me?” Buffy spoke quietly.

Her step-father shook his head. “It’s about Spike. ‘Warrior’ is translated in the masculine form.”

“There has to be something we can do,” Angel said as he began to pace, his Irish accent subtly showing in his agitation. “Because I refuse to sit back and watch my cousin die again.”

“Is there anything more written?” Xander wondered. “Maybe some Cliff Notes to help us out?”

A warrior will enter darkness in the event of death,” Willow began to think the problem through. “Maybe that means it will happen at night?”

“Or it could mean that he’ll be turned into a vampire.” Anya looked at everyone staring at her. “What?”

“That does make sense,” Giles exclaimed. “Darkness in death. That could have a double meaning and it does go on to say that the warrior would need to be bonded referring as if the warrior hasn’t passed on to the spiritual realm.”


“A valid point, yes,” Xander suddenly stood up. “But aren’t we all forgetting something? Spike as a vampire? Well, if I remember correctly, when he got pissed off, he was scary…” the brunette looked around. “Er.”

“A-and he wouldn’t have a soul.” Tara said.

“And without a soul he would be constantly fighting the demon inside himself.” Angel added.

“I’m sure there could be a spell of some sort-” Willow went to say, but Buffy stopped her.

“So, magic is real too,” the blonde pulled her blonde hair behind her shoulder. “I miss life when it was simple. All I had to do was worry about what to wear and what to say when Spike and I bickered like-”

Giles sighed. “Yes, well it’s not what life was actually like-”

“You know what, I can’t do this.” Buffy interrupted him.

“Buffy?” Anya ventured.

“I’m not going to sit around and think of ways that we can prevent this from happening to him.” Buffy continued.

“Then what do you purpose we do?” Giles said irritably, his voice an unusual malice to it. “Do you think I like having to find prophesies that may or may not contribute to my son’s death?”

“You don’t have to deal with it anymore, because nothing will happen to him.” Buffy replied with finality. “I’m the Slayer now, so whatever I say goes. There will be nothing standing in my way.”

And with that she left the library, the doors slamming in her wake.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Not ten minutes later, Buffy found herself with Spike in the principal’s office, which, currently, were listening to a lecture the ‘little weasel man’, as Spike like to call him, felt the need to bleat out.

“A lot of educators tell students, Think of your principal as your pal,” Snyder told them, looking between the both blondes. “I say, 'Think of me as your judge, jury, and executioner.' Tell me, who do you think is the most troublesome student in this school?”

Buffy looked to Spike who was rolling his eyes.

“Well, it is quite a match between you two.” The principal answered his own question. “On the one hand, Buffy hasn't killed a teacher.”

“The teacher was a praying man… she kidnapped students and killed many.” Spike defended himself.

“On the other hand,” The older man ignored Spike. “Spike has never burned down a school building.”

“W-well, that was never proven,” Buffy argued her case. “The Fire Marshall said i-it coulda been mice.”

At that, Spike arched his scarred eyebrow. And how did he get that scar… Buffy then realized how. Darla… And Buffy so did not want to continue on with that thought.

“Mice.” Snyder gave Buffy a stupefied look.

“M-mice that were smoking?” Buffy said hopefully.

“The two of you seem to be tied in the class-cutting and fight- starting events- and don’t you denied that Summers, because I’ve been watching you, proven case in point when I caught you leaving the library when you were supposed to be in your third period British Literature-” Snyder went on to which Spike interrupted.

“That’s what’s wrong right there. She can’t even speak the English language, so why expect her to be able to understand the writings of my past nation?” Spike told him smartly.

“Hey!” Buffy scowled.

“Said with adoration, luv.” Spike smirked at her.

Snyder frowned at the bickering teens. “The point is you both really are neck and neck here. It's quite exciting.”

Spike once again was rolling his eyes. “An’ what does the winner get?”

“Expelled,” They both looked at him shocked. “Thursday is Parent- Teacher night. Your parents, well, you both sharing them-”

“It’s a step-family.” Spike corrected.

“Will meet your teachers,” Snyder then gave them a look. “Well, your mother, or step-mother in Spike’s case, assuming you have any left. I've decided to put the two of you in charge of this event. You have three days to prepare the refreshments, make the banners and transform the school lounge into a habitable place for adults. This will incur my good will. And may affect what I tell your parents when I meet them. Are we clear?”

“I'm clear,” Buffy looked to Spike. “Don't you feel clear?” At his look she gave him a frown. “Does mom’s wrath ring a bell?”

That straightened Spike’s stance. “Right, we’re bloody clear.”

“Good,” Snyder nodded. “Because you mess up this time, and you will be coming to school the next day, only to clean out your lockers.”