Chapter 16

After ending the call from her Watcher, Buffy stood up. She took three determined steps in Spike’s direction before she started to take off her clothes. She discarded her sweatshirt first, and then her shorts fell past her ankles.

“So,” Spike began, watching her with his head slightly cocked to one side. “You’re half naked.”

“That’s because I’m changing.” Her fingers hooked underneath the elastic band of her underwear, but she hesitated. “Spike, turn your back.”

“You think modesty’s still necessary?” he asked only to receive a glare. Scratching his brow with his little finger, he turned and gazed at the other side of the room. “You said we were going out, right? Where are we headed to exactly?”

“The bar. We’ll find your friend Doc, we’ll make him tell us everything he knows, and then we’ll kill him. Somewhere in there you’ll tell me everything you know, you’ll explain why you didn’t tell me about Glory before now and maybe I won’t have to kill you too.”

“Buffy, I swear that I didn’t--.” He spun around and froze, suddenly faced with an entirely nude Slayer. She screeched out something, but he didn’t hear it. She gestured at him impatiently, but he ignored that too.

“Will you snap out of it?” she demanded. Grabbing his forearms, she pulled him aside and away from the dresser. “We’ve got to get moving. Giles will be here any minute.”

“If you’d only hear me out, I could explain. I could--.” His glimmer of coherency vanished as she turned her back, bent over, and pulled a surprisingly frilly yet tastefully ruffled pair of boy shorts up to her hips. “Buffy… My God, pet, where have you been hiding those?”

She shot him a mildly annoyed look from over her shoulder, but it didn’t faze Spike. He held a palm against her backside and let the soft little black ruffles glide between his fingers.

“Stop it,” she said, her voice stern but breathy. “Do you have any idea how serious this is?”

“Not really.” He tickled along her spine and was pleased to see goose bumps pop up all over her skin. “Everyone wants the bloody key,” he mumbled, kissing the top of her shoulder. “I couldn’t care less. There’s only one thing I want and she’s standing right in front of me.”

“Spike.” With a sigh, she sought out a black bra from her underwear drawer. She looped the straps over her shoulders and sighed again as Spike situated the lightly padded cups and fastened the tiny hooks along her back. “You’ve really got some nerve.”

“What do you mean?” he asked innocently, although his palms were still against her breasts. He placed another kiss into the curve of her neck and squeezed her through the bra’s satiny fabric. “We’re in a rush. I’m helping.”

“Yeah right,” she laughed, closing her eyes as he continued to kiss her skin. “If I’m not dressed… Spike, if I’m not downstairs by the time Giles gets here, you’re staying.”

“Staying?” Stepping closer, he pushed his chest flush against her back. “Staying where, baby?”

“Here.” She turned her head to face him and swallowed, finding his lips barely an inch from her own. “I will leave you behind. You can stay with Giles or you can go somewhere else if you must, but I’ll go after Doc alone.”

“But why would you want to do that?”

“Because I need to keep my head clear,” she replied quietly, eyes still on his mouth. “I have planning to do. I have a god and a lizard-demon to worry about, and you… Just being around you tonight has made my head all…mushy.”

“Now that sounds bloody serious.”

Buffy’s eyes narrowed. “I need to get dressed,” she said, although she was already edging forward like a moth surrendering to a flame. “Giles, Dawn… We’ll be interrupted again. And I really…I really should get dressed.”

“What’s stopping you?”

“Nothing,” she mumbled before pressing her lips against his. She let out a content little groan and kept their kiss achingly soft until the doorbell rang. “This is exactly what I wanted to avoid! I just want to…” She stopped speaking, but voiced her frustration further by capturing his mouth again. She pushed her way into Spike’s arms and greedily devoured him.

“Oh God,” she gasped, forcing herself to end their lip-lock too soon. “I can’t—what the hell is wrong with me? I hate this so much! I’m starting to think we should just do it, just to get it over with!”

“Do you really feel that way?”

“I…I don’t know. Maybe?” She avoided his eyes, knowing her cheeks were becoming rosy. “It’d bring us some relief, wouldn’t it? I mean, it can’t be like this all the time…right? It’s crazy sexual tension. It’s unrequited…stuff. We’re all hot and bothered now, but—it shouldn’t be like this, especially at this, um, fever pitch all the time.”

“Is that your way of saying you think it’ll take just one quick shag to get me out of your system? We’ll give it a go once and it’ll be enough to fuck out all the attraction—the sparks, the inconvenient little achies? Slayer, it warms my heart knowing you think so much of me and our budding relationship.”

She grimaced at his sarcasm, but before she could say another word, her sister knocked on the door. “Dawn, stay out! Give us another five minutes!”

“Bump it up to fifteen and we’ll test out your crackpot theory. I’ll make it worth your while.”

“Wha—no!” Buffy whispered. “We will not—there is no-no good reason to make Giles wait.”

“Guys? Is everything okay in there?” Dawn asked through the door.

“Yes,” Buffy insisted a little too loudly. “Tell Giles I’ll be downstairs in a few minutes.”

“I already said that a few minutes ago,” her sister sighed. “Buffy, Giles seems really antsy. How much longer will you really be? What should I tell him?

“She’ll be down in half an hour, forty minutes tops.”

“Spike, no,” Buffy hissed between clenched teeth.

“Why not?” He stepped forward, and for every step he took, Buffy shuffled backward until her legs were pressed into the edge of her bed.

“What I said—I was being stupid.” She let out a hushed groan as Spike kissed her. “But Dawn…”

“She’s gone. Downstairs. Out of earshot. The chit’s complaining about you as we speak.” With each pause, he gave her a gentle close-lipped kiss. “Come on now. Let’s not waste any time. I know you’re ready for me, Buffy.” His fingers slipped under the band of her underwear and she was already breathing heavy. “You’re soaked, aren’t you, love? You want relief; let me give that to you.”

“But—but rushing, rushing isn’t good.”

“Why should we be leisurely about it? We’re just getting it over with, yeah?”

“Yeah—well, no—I mean… God, you’re such a--.”

“Creep?” he suggested after stealing away her words by letting the boy shorts drop to her ankles. “Keep that up, and I’ll start considering it a term of endearment. You’d better lie back, pet, I see your knees quaking. I’d promise that I’d take you standing up next time, but since there won’t be a next time…”

“You’re evil.”

“I’m glad you haven’t forgotten,” he remarked with a grin. He hoped to have even the slightest wicked gleam in his eyes, but he doubted it. With his Slayer sprawled out, naked from the waist down, patiently waiting to be filled by his aching erection, his smile couldn’t have been more genuine. She looked lovely: pouting, with a halo of stuffed animals and girlie pillows floating above her head. As much as it pained him to think he’d only get a few minutes inside her fiery little body during their first romp, he was confident she’d be begging him for a second, third, and fourth go-round.

“My silly, sweet Slayer…” He pushed his knees into her bed, straddling her body. He kept on all fours as he hovered above her. “Baby, open up,” he said gruffly. “Put your legs around me.”

“That’s it. Now that’s my girl,” he moaned, resting his weight in the cradle of her thighs, reveling in the feel of her arms around him. “My God, you’re warm. You’re gonna burn me up.”

His mouth found hers as he began rocking his clothed hips against her naked core. He tried to swallow up her sultry groans, but he let a few slip through on purpose just because he’d never heard a sexier sound.

“Spike… Spike, don’t.” She squeezed him with a double-dose of Slayer-strength once he tried to break their contact to unzip his jeans.

“But--.”

“I’ll do it.”

“You’d better, I don’t think I can move now. Your legs and arms are around me so tight—you’ve got me pinned, Slayer.”

“Was I hurting you?” She unhooked her legs from his lower back. “I’m sorry.”

He just blinked as she caressed his face.

“Um, hello? You’re not answering me,” she pointed out with a short laugh. “Spike, why do you look at me like that all time? It kinda freaks me out.”

“Because every time you show me a bit of kindness, I lose my head. I fall madly in love with you all over again. Yeah, that’s right,” he said once she took a deep breath from beneath him. “I’m a bloody poof, but I can’t help it. In these past few days you’ve been giving my heart one hell of a fucking workout.”

“Oh.” Her voice dropped. “Mystery solved then.”

“Buffy?” He was afraid he’d said too much, that he’d been too honest with her until he saw her blink away a tear. “Hey, you can’t go soft on me, kitten. I’m softhearted—and softheaded—enough for the both of us.”

“You’re such a strange vampire. You don’t even have a soul, but the things you say…”

“Tell me about it. I’m an embarrassment. A bloody fraud is what I am.”

Her arms wove tightly around his neck and she moved her head again. It wasn’t quite a nod or a shake; it was more like bobble. She reactivated their oscillating hips with a sigh. “I think you’re special,” she mumbled as quietly as possible. “And annoyingly sweet. I’ve never met anyone like you, vampire or otherwise.”

“Do you mean it?”

She answered him with a kiss before saying, “I want you.”

Spike reached between them, not about to make her wait. He quickly unzipped his jeans, but took his time pushing his erection through her slick opening. “My God, Buffy,” he croaked, afraid he’d come from the penetration alone. “I can’t—I can’t even…”

He filled his lungs with air and desperately tried to compose himself.

But she sabotaged his efforts. She bucked her hips against him impatiently, not once but twice. Hidden muscles squeezed his cock, demanding his attention.

“Love, as much as I appreciate the enthusiasm, you’ve got to stop working against me. I’m trying to prolong this. I want to make it good for you, but you’ve got me shaking in my boots like an inexperienced schoolboy. Can’t you see that?”

“But don’t you have lots of experience?”

“Nothing could prepare me for you. Never had a human, definitely never had a Slayer, and you…” Smiling, he nipped at her mouth. “You’re perfection. It’s about to do me in.”

“We have no time.” She rubbed her pelvis against his, causing him to grit his teeth. “You don’t need to show off. You’ve already won me over. I’m here, aren’t I?”

“Yeah, that’s right,” he answered dumbly, staring down at her in awe.

“So have your way with me already. Yesh.” She flashed him a playful look, but became serious once her hands cupped his backside, trying to push him in deeper. “Please?”

“For the record, I still think you deserve more than a quickie.”

“Mmmm, I don’t know.” She met each thrust eagerly once he started to move within her. “I’d like to decide for myself. This is my first quickie.”

“What?”

“Spike! Don’t you dare stop!”

“Sorry, sorry.”

“I forgive you,” she moaned once he started to slip and slide inside her again. “Oh God, I forgive you.”

“You’re a fucking goddess. I absolutely adore you.”

“Aaaah.” She squeezed her eyes shut as her body started to spasm violently from the inside out. Her fingers grabbed and scratched. Her mouth licked and kissed all the pale skin that came within her reach.

“Oh good lord,” he croaked, finding himself pulled headfirst into her cleavage as she strangled his throbbing cock. She hugged his head, petted his hair and dotted his face with unbelievably sweet kisses. Blinded by each exquisite sensation—suffering from a complete Buffy overload—he didn’t notice that he’d shifted into his vampire guise as an orgasm rocked his entire body from head to toe. He also had no idea that his teeth had slid into her soft skin until he tasted her blood in his mouth.

A mixture of a sob and snarl erupted from the back of his throat. He hadn’t had blood straight from the source in ages. And this blood, Slayer blood, Buffy’s blood, was delectable. Spike had no idea why the chip wasn’t functioning properly, and he couldn’t care less. He was inside his Slayer, pounding relentlessly between her legs and she was still matching him thrust for thrust. She hadn’t pushed him away, even when his demon had popped out, even as his fangs had plunged into her breast.

“I love you,” he declared, taking one last pull from the red bite marks before collapsing, panting and completely spent. His nose brushed against satin, and he ripped it away without a second though.

“Hey, that was my good bra!”

“Should’ve gotten rid of it before. Forgot,” he mumbled, nuzzling her naked breasts with his cheek. “You wore your good bra for me?”

“What a dumb idea, right?” With an eye roll, she tunneled her fingers through his hair. “You were more interested in the underwear I dug out of the bargain bin. You know, I got those the night I found Harmony at the mall.”

“You’re kidding.”

“It was a good sale. I don’t think I’d risk my life over ten pairs of underwear for six dollars like your ex-bimbo, but it was a really great sale.”

Grinning, he leaned forward to kiss her. The simple movement sent a jolt to their intimately connected parts.

“Spike, we really…we still need to go.”

“But I don’t want to.”

“You don’t get a choice. Or at least I don’t. Duty’s calling.”

He withdrew from her reluctantly and rolled onto his back. He tucked his hands behind his head, not bothering to pull up the jeans from where they gathered at his thighs. As Buffy scampered away, he watched her dress with a smirk on his face. “But if you had a choice? Baby, answer me this, wouldn’t you rather have me still nestled deep inside you?”

“I am not answering that.”

“You’re blushing again.”

“Am not.”

“Yes, you are.”

“Well, gee, Spike, let me think it over.” She already had her pants on and she was pulling a v-necked sweater over yet another matching set of undergarments. “Would I rather go to a nasty smelly old demon bar, where I have to question and kill a nasty smelly old demon? Or would I rather stay here and have post-sex cuddles with my not-so-nasty, completely unsmelly demon boyfriend? I don’t know, it’s a toss up.”

“Boyfriend?”

Her eyes grew, as if she hadn’t realized what she had said. Her blush spread. “I didn’t say that.”

“Oh, yes, you very-well did.”

“I didn’t—Spike, stay back.” She spun around as he rolled off her bed. “Don’t come near me until your pants are up and zipped.”

“You find me too tempting?”

“Too revolting.”

“Is that any way to speak to your new beau?” He turned her back around and watched in amusement as she suspiciously eyed his crotch. “All’s tucked away. You’re safe for now.”

“I doubt it,” she grumbled.

“Slayer, you said I was your boyfriend.”

“Yeah, maybe I did, you want to make something of it?” She crossed her arms, daring him to make a wisecrack. “It’s just a label. It’s no big. You don’t even need to make mooneyes over it. Maybe I’m dumb or old-fashioned, but I don’t take what just happened lightly. I’m not a one-time girl.”

“But you said--.”

“I lied! The stuff I said it was just…stuff! I was frustrated and horny and,” she took deep breath and let it out in a sigh. “I really don’t want to talk about this right now.”

“You just spouted off nonsense to get your way into my pants?” He tried not to laugh, but it was difficult. She looked so bashful. And the more defensive she became because of that embarrassment, the more endearing Spike found her. “I feel so…used. I’m impressed, love.”

“Shut up,” she demanded with a glare. “Don’t tease me. I’m being serious. You can’t say the things you say without consequences. You shower me with compliments, you tell me that you love me over and over, and we—we did it. You’re now in boyfriend territory, mister, whether you want to be or not.”

Spike stared at her, letting each word sink into his sex-fogged brain. Did she really think he wouldn’t want to be with her? Maybe her brain was as fogged up as his. “So, does this mean we’re dating, like, exclusively?”

“Just try cheating on me. I dare you.”

“I didn’t mean that. Will your friends and family know about us?”

“My family knew about us before I did,” she answered quietly. “And my friends…we’ll ease them into it. We may not tell them for a little while, not until they’re used to having you around…not until I’m used to having you around.”

“And I’ll be around a lot, would you say?”

“Well, we’re aren’t getting married and you’re not moving in.”

“I’m glad we’ve got that settled,” he said with another thinly veiled smile.

“You’ll just help me.” She tried to play cool as Spike cupped her chin, forcing her to look up at him. “A-and I’ll help you.”

“How?”

“Um,” she closed her eyes once he lightly kissed her lips. “Free bodyguard service?”

“That’s it?”

“What, are we negotiating this? Maybe I should take back my offer.”

“Don’t even think about it,” he snickered. He deepened their kiss and guided her into his arms. “You’re mine now, aren’t you, Buffy? Just like I’m your vampire?”

“You shouldn’t eavesdrop.”

“What a difference a quickie makes, yeah? I’m guessing you liked it? It won you over.”

“No, it wasn’t that. It really wasn’t the sex,” she insisted when he lifted a brow. “I…I like you.”

“That’s a relief,” he replied, meaning the words more than he’d care to admit.

“I like how you make me feel,” she continued with a shrug. “I’ve felt better, less stressed, more…okay in the past few days than I’ve felt in a long time.”

“You could’ve fooled me.”

“Well,” she placed a hand on his chest and pushed gently. “I don’t think I’m one of those girls who need a guy around to be happy, I just… I like feeling like I have backup, and not just the Slayer kind. You’re strong, surprisingly dependable--.”

“Love, you’re making it out like I’ve done more than just baby-sit your sister for the afternoon.”

“You’re helpful,” she insisted. “You’ve given me relief. It’s nice to worry because I want to instead of because I have to. And I know you’ll do even more for me once we get to that damn demon bar.”

“Guess we’ve made your Watcher wait long enough. Bet he’s pacing back and forth down there, shedding tweed all over the carpet… Right,” he said, attempting to fix his hair. “Let’s get on with it then.”

“Yeah, about that.” She stopped him before he could reach the bedroom door. “Maybe you should get a head start.”

“What are you saying?”

“A few things, like, go down through the window please. Go home, get changed. You need a clean unripped shirt and a different pair of pants. I kinda messed those ones up.”

“Afraid of what your Watcher will say if he sees me as-is?”

“We’ve left him for a very long time after dropping a huge ‘Glory is a God’ bomb on his head. I don’t think your appearance will be his number one priority, but I doubt it will help. Let me test the water, before I throw you in headfirst.”

“Look at you, protecting yours truly already. You’re sure you want to take the walk of shame on your own?”

“Oh yeah, I’ll be fine.” She helped him into his duster and quickly buttoned the buttons. She tried to tame his unruly hair one more time. “Just head toward the bar, I’ll meet you somewhere along way. Should I have Giles look up Doc in his books? Do you know how to kill him?”

“When in doubt, cut off the head, that’s what I always say.”

“I’ll bring the weapons.”

“Sounds like a plan. Okay then.” He pressed a kiss against her forehead. He looked over his shoulder, taking one last glance at her bed and its untidy state. Pillows and stuffed animals were everywhere. The bedclothes were more than just a little wrinkled. “Buffy, tonight’s been… Pet, I can’t even put into words--.”

“I know, and the night’s just beginning.”

“Right.” He climbed through the windowsill. He situated his boots into the crevices of the trellis then Buffy said his name. Looking up, he saw her lean through the window before he was caught up in a passionate kiss.

“You just had to wait until I was dangling out here to do that? You trying to do me in, woman?”

“Probably,” she admitted, kissing him again. “If I don’t do myself in first.”

“Pet, don’t make me come back in there. I won’t leave.”

She pulled away licking her lips. She gave him a friendly pat on the shoulder. “I’ll see you later. In fact, if you don’t see me in an hour, come looking for me.”

“You think it’ll be so bad? What can that old goat dish out besides another lecture?”

“Have you been lectured by Giles lately? And to get lectured when your head’s beyond fuzzy and when your conscience isn’t as guilty as it should be… One hour, Spike.”

“Maybe I should stay, if he’s destined to act like a prat about it--.”

“No, thanks, but no.”

He let out a snicker as her hands found their way back into his hair. “God, Slayer, do I look that bad?”

“Honestly? You look…well, you look like someone who’s been thoroughly laid.”

“And I’m guessing you bypassed the mirror in your mad dash to get dressed.”

“What? I thought I looked—do you think he’ll know what we’ve been doing? Just by looking at me?”

“Of course not.” Chuckling, he kissed her again. “One hour, baby, smooth things over with the Watcher. Then, if I need to, I’ll come to your rescue.”

Buffy nodded. She stood by the window and watched him leave.
***