Chapter Fourteen

"Are you sure you want to leave town before you know if Buffy is pregnant?" David looked at him, while driving into town. David had that knowing look. He also had experience. He may not have been the one to leave, but he did know that leaving quickly costed you and your partner. "Look at me. I didn't even know I had a son until a couple of days ago. I missed his entire life. Maybe it would be better if you just got a room close by until you know for sure."

"How do you know is anything happened to me and Buffy?" Spike raised his eyebrow.

"Come on Spike. It's me you are talking to. Those Summers women are hard to resist." David looked over at him.

"Ok, YES, I slept with Buffy. Happy now?" he grumbled.

"Not even close. What happens if Buffy finds out she is pregnant and you are gone?"

"It won't happen!" Spike grumbled, praying the bus station could come fast enough.

-----------------------------

"I knew we shouldn't have trusted him with her. The minute we turned our back, he violated her." Angus was still roaring twenty minutes later. The dust from the ranch truck had fell back to the ground, leaving no trail that Spike had left. Buffy just sat up in her room, looking out at the window, praying Spike would come back. It never did. Forty-five minutes later David come back with no Spike. Tears streamed down her face. He was gone out of her life for good.

Sobbing harder than she ever had, Buffy fell on the bed putting a hand to her stomach. 'Did we make a baby? God I hope so, then I will have something to remember him by.' Sniffing harder, she knew she wasn't ready for a baby, But having a miniature Spike around would be the next best thing. 'Maybe I should run away and find him? Then we can live happily ever after.' "Happily ever after my ass. I will never have a happy ending." She sniffed into her pillow.

"Can I talk to you for a minute?" David asked. Buffy quickly wiped the tears from her eyes, looking at David hopefully. "He gave me this to give to you." A Letter. She held it in her hands, tracing her name in the blue ink. She looked up at David hoping he could tell her what was in it. "I don't know what is in that letter, but he wrote it before getting on the bus to San Antonio." He winked and left the room.

Buffy tore into the envelope, finding a letter written on an old receipt. All it said was,

I love you and always will.
I will write to you when I get settled.

Love, William

The letter making her cry harder, she through herself back onto the bed. Joyce walked into the room, hoping to calm her daughter down. "Come here sweetheart. Mommy's here." Buffy went right into her mother's arms and cried on her shoulder. After crying for ten minutes, she finally quieted to whimpers. "Now, why don't you tell me what David did to make you cry so hard." Buffy just handed her mother the letter. Joyce read it before going back to rubbing her daughter's back. "He did say he will let you know where he is. That's a good thing." Joyce's smile always used to calm her daughter down, but not today. "I have a great idea. Let's you and me go back home. Then spend a mother-daughter outing."

"Are you crazy? Dad is probably there ready to yell some more and hit me."

"No need to worry about him dear. He is in jail, hopefully to stay for a good while." Buffy's eyes widened in surprise.

"What did he do?" Buffy was shocked. Her dad always got away with everything.

"He brought a gun into the hospital, hoping to get rid of me." Joyce laughed. Hank was a fool and he deserved to be where he is,

"Since daddy won't be there, I guess it is safe to go home." Buffy talked into her mother's shoulder, making it hard to understand, but Joyce got the most of it. 'Go home.'

"I will make the reservations tomorrow." Joyce smiled at her daughter and Buffy smiled back. There will be no more beatings, no more name calling, and no more Hank. Life was almost perfect. All Buffy needed was Spike and he was on his way to San Antonio.

"Mom, do you think we can make a stop in San Antonio and see if we can find Spike." Buffy looked pleading. She wasn't going to upset her daughter anymore than she already had.

"Of course." Joyce kissed her daughter's cheek and walked out of the room again. This time there was silence. Angus had stopped yelling it seemed. Now it was time to tell the Summers that she and Buffy were leaving to go back home.

---------------------------------

"Do you see him anywhere, mom?" Buffy asked, keeping her eyes on the lookout for Spike.

"Sweetheart, we have been driving around for two hours now. I don't think we are going to find him." Buffy started her sobbing again. So Joyce kept on driving, not aware that inside the diner they had just passed held the man in question.

------------------------------

"Do you know of anyone who is looking for some seasonal work?" Spike asked the waitress. He might as well start looking for another job. He might even end up going out of state for the month just to come up with the money needed for schooling. Just thinking about going back there gave him thoughts of Cecily. 'maybe I should just transfer,' he thought.

Looking out the window, he thought he saw Buffy and Joyce in a red truck driving past the diner, Taking a second look, Spike knew it was Buffy. She came for him. Running out of the diner, he quickly tried to catch the truck as it turned the corner, but the truck sped out onto the highway towards the freeway. Buffy went out of his life for the second time today.

------------------------

"Mom", Buffy said looking at her mother with tears still in her eyes, "I just want to go home." Joyce looked at her daughter and shook her head yes. Joyce turned toward the airport to drop of the rental and get the next available flight out to Los Angeles.