Chapter Sixteen

"Hello Joyce."

"Spike?"

"Yep. It's me." Spike grinned into the phone.

"Oh, Thank God. Buffy has been going crazy with grief. Where are you?"

"I am on a spread just south of San Antonio. The MacNeil Crossing. Its just about 20 miles from the city." Spike whispered into the phone,. He saw Higgins shadow from behind the door. 'Stupid spy'

"Good. Can you get into town and go to the bus station? I will have a ticket ready for you to pick up and come here to L.A." Jpyce could still hear Buffy's sobs through the wall, but they were slowly quieting down.

"Umm, Joyce? I don't have a way to get to town. No car and all." Spike felt bad, but a car was an added expense he didn't need. Here on the ranch, if you use a vehicle, then you were expected to fill it up with gas and clean it. Money and time, Spike didn't have.

"Fine!" He could hear Joyce getting frustrated. "I will be there in 2 days. Be ready." Joyce rambled off before hanging up. Spike didn't even have a chance to ask how Buffy was holding up.

The shadow suddenly opened the door. Yes, it was Higgins. "Well, Well. What do we have hear? Wasting precious phone minutes, are we?" Higgins had a smug look on his face, like he was going to get Spike in trouble again.

"Now you stop it right there. I always pay for the minutes I use." Spike boomed loudly, causing the other cowboys to wake. 'Damn, Grouchy cowboys are even worse.'

"Dammit Spike. We have to be up in two hours. I need my sleep." Cowboy Andrews bellowed. He was a big looking brute and Spike tried to stay away from him as much as possible.

'Sorry man. Just Higgins scared me." Spike lied, hoping the angry glare would get off him. It worked for a second.

"What the hell happened to your nose?" Andrews asked, now with concern in his eyes. He went from Spike to HIggins and looked ready to pummel.

"I fell off a horse. I just got a call from my ex's mother. Seems I'm gonna be a dad." Spike went for the truth hoping Higgins would just drop this whole thing. 'Over stupid phone minutes.'

Andrews got out of bed and walked toward Spike. "I know how that is. I have three kids from different spreads I have worked. Never get to see them though." Andrews looked at Spike. 'What are you gonna do about it?"

"Joyce, that is Buffy's mom, said she is coming to get me and bring me out to their home in L.A. So looks like I have some thinking to do." Spike walked out of the door and into what was left of the night. There would be no sleep for Spike. Spike looked back at the bunkhouse and saw it go dark. Looked like Andrews was going back to sleep and Higgins was walking back to his room in the main house.

-----------------------------------------

When six o'clock finally came, Joyce decided enough was enough with just lying here not sleeping. She got up and went to check on Buffy. Opening the door, Joyce saw Buffy wide awake just staring in space. "Would you like some pancakes this morning?" Joyce asked, with a smile on her face. Buffy smiled back and shook her head yes. "Breakfast will be in 10 minutes them." Closing the door, she heard what sounded like a muffled sob. 'Don't you worry Buffy. Everything is going to get better. I promise.'

-------------------------------

Buffy looked back at the wall she was staring at after her mother closed the door. She tried to keep the sob in, but she knew her mom had heard her. Wiping the tears from her eyes, Buffy sat up and looked around her room. She still had pictures of Angel up. That seemed so long ago too. Getting out of bed, she walked to her vanity and took the pictures off the mirror. She ripped them in half and through them in the garbage. Looking around her room, she noticed how much this looked like a normal teenagers room, not a room for an expected mother. She was definitely going to do something about that.

"Buffy! Breakfast is ready." Joyce yelled from downstairs.

Buffy started walking to the door, but turned around giving her room a last glance over. She definitely was going to talk to her mom about a room makeover. Something both of the Summers women loved to do.

------------------------------

Spike awoke, with his head on a stump, still out in the fields. Telling by the sun, it was way past nine o'clock. Boy was Spike in for it. Getting up, he noticed his sore neck from sleeping the way he did. Also, his nose hurt like hell. He better have it checked out, meaning he was going to have to use a truck.

When he got to where the vehicles were locating, he found them all locked and the keys missing. 'What the hell is going on?'From behind a bale of hay, came Mr. MacNeil and he looked angrier than Spike had ever seen him.

"Someone tells me that you are stealing from me?" Spike was speechless. What did he mean by stealing? SPike hasn't touched anything. All of a sudden Higgins could be seen on the hill with binoculars. 'Damn that asshole!'

"I don't know what you mean? I have not talking anything." Spike finally got his voice, said.

"You cheating everyone on their minutes." Spike could not believe it. This was about phone minutes. Spike always paid his part of the bill.

"I always pay my bill sir. I used some extra last night, but it was a family emergency." Spike was trying to reason with him.

"You don't have any family here boy. Give me another excuse." MacNeil looked like he was about to punch Spike right in the nose.

"When his hand fisted and swung back, Spike whispered, "Yes I do. I am about to become a daddy." He waiting for the strike that never came.

When Spike opened his eyes again, he saw Andrews holding MacNeil's fist from even moving.

'Come on Joyce. Those two days can't come fast enough.' Spike thought to himself.