Buffy could not believe that her mother was going back to her grandparents. Just when she was getting excited about being home again and about to spend the day with her friends, her mother had told her yesterday morning that they were headed back to Texas. She wasn't ready for her grandparents to find out about the pregnancy yet. She had begged and begged her mother to stay home with a promise of never leaving the house and not letting anyone in. Her mom just laughed and patted her cheek saying, "Nice Try."

"We are almost there, sweetie. Are you still feeling sick?" Joyce looked over at her daughter, concern in her eyes. Buffy had her first morning sickness incident just three hours into the drive. Buffy had demanded that they turn back so she could be sick in her own home, not on the road. Joyce was thinking about heading back too, but the thought of how much better her daughter would feel when Spike was back with her kept her going.

"If this is supposed to be morning sickness, then why doesn't it stop after the morning is done?" Buffy groaned from the back seat of her mother's blue BMW. Joyce laughed.

"I was sick all the time with you. Mine didn't end until 5 months into it." Joyce laughed some more as Buffy groaned more. Buffy hadn't seen anything yet. She just had a sick stomach. She hasn't dealt with the vomiting or unusual cravings yet.

"How far yet till we get to the ranch?"

"What ranch dear?" Joyce smirked.

"Mom! Grandma and Grandpa's. duh!" Buffy was getting mad. Why was her mother playing dumb all of a sudden.

"Did I say we were going there?" Joyce looked back at her daughter, as Buffy's mouth dropped.

"You did say we were going back to Texas. I know you did because I was talking to Willow on the phone when you dropped that bomb that made me cancel all my plans."

"There are many things to see in Texas." Joyce turned back to the wheel. Buffy's grumbling could be heard about why does she want a bonding moment there after we just left the damn state.

'If only you knew.' Joyce thought.

"Are we there yet?" Buffy was getting impatient with her mother. Why was she being so damn secretive.

"We have only been in the car for 5 hours sweetheart. Texas is a 22 hour drive."

"Well, why couldn't we just fly there? And when are we going to eat? I am so hungry right now, it is making me more sick." Joyce knew Buffy was going to be happy when they arrived at their location. It was just keeping her occupied right now.

"You had me stop 2 hours ago, Buffy. And that is when you starting feeling sick. You really want more food?" Joyce was glad she added on the extra day to the trip if Buffy was going to be doing this the entire way.

"YES!"

"Fine. Next grocery store we come to, I am going to go in and load up on snacks for you."

I don't want snacks. I want a big mac..... and those cheese fries...... and a chicken sandwich and a large diet coke." Buffy rattled off, not even noticing Joyce going pale with all that food being mentioned.

"I would have to stop at 3 different places just for that. One place and that is it. And look at the time. It is only 10 am. Breakfast only."

"Fine. grocery store it is." Buffy grumbled.

-----------------------------------

"Let's get this done with." Joyce hurried into the grocery store. She was sure she was about to pay two times what the food was at any other store since they were at some mom and pop store. Buffy slowly got out of the car and stretched her legs. They had become stiff from being cramped in the back seat. "Now Buffy!" He mother yelled from inside the doors. Buffy huffed before walking into the store.

"Grab a basket and lets go." He mother really seemed to be in a hurry. Buffy grabbed a cart and started walking the aisles. She bypassed all the fruit and vegetables and made her way down the junkfood aisle. Throwing bags of chips and cookies into the cart.

"Buffy!. One bag of chips and one bag of cookies. Then go grab some fruit and vegetables." Here Buffy thought her mom wanted to stop making stops. If Buffy only got the one bag each, she was going to be hungry again in a few hours. She always ate when she was nervous and this pregnancy wasn't helping either.

Buffy quickly chose sour cream and onion chips and a bag of oreos. Walking over to the produce aisle, she looked it over and decided an apple would be the best. Joyce looked at her and raised her eyebrow.

"Only one?" she questioned.

'Yep" and then Buffy walked to the checkout.

Joyce shook her head and walked after her daughter. She knew she would be stopping again.

--------------------------------------

"How much closer now? I need to pee." Buffy huffed at her mother. She knew she shouldn't have gotten the Biggy Slurpie at the last gas station, but it was so good, and now she had to pee again. Ever since consuming it, she had to pee every half hour.

"Can you hold it? We only have 35 minutes left till we get there." Buffy looked around, noticing they were no where near her grandparents.

"Where exactly are we going?" Buffy asked, hoping to finally get an answer.

"I am going to a place called the MacNeil Ranch." Joyce had a smile on her face, one Buffy was sure was of a secret she had yet to share.

"And you had to bring me on this trip for grandpa? Checking out some cows or something?" Buffy was really annoyed. Right now she could be sitting on her chaise in her room, with the tv tuned on MTV.

"I didn't say I was going there for your grandfather, did I?" Joyce said, matter of fact.

--------------------------------------

"Are we there yet?" Buffy asked for the seventh time in a half an hour.

"Buffy! Really. I just stopped not ten minutes ago to let you pee. All I ask is for you to be quiet while I find this address," Joyce yelled.

"Sorry, but..." Buffy tried to speak as Joyce interrupted.

"Buffy please!"

"Fine, but if we are looking for a MacNeil ranch, we passed a sign over a driveway." Buffy said smugly.

"Damn It!" Joyce yelled as she put the car in reverse. Thank god no one was on this road.

---------------------------

Going down the driveway, Buffy looked at the scenery. 'Not much for a ranch, at least not like grandpa's.' Her mother came up to a white stucco house. It didn't seem like it fit a ranch home. 'Maybe these people need a designer and since mom is a gallery owner, maybe they want real art.'

Buffy wasn't even looking at the corral, otherwise she would have noticed a certain british riding a black stallion. Her mother got out of the car and walked toward someone. Buffy didn't care. She kept looking at the awful house. The next thing Buffy knew was her door was being opened and she saw the most wonderful sight.

"Hello cutie."


Chapter End Notes:
one more chapter than the epilogue left