Author's Chapter Notes:
Abuse in this chapter
Chapter Two

At 2:30 pm, Buffy was again doing the dishes, only this time she was stuck washing them. She still hadn't had time to talk to Spike since her grandma kept an eye on her all day. She had tried to bring up why grandpa didn't want any cowboys near any of the family, but her grandma refused to answer saying it was "none of your business.'" Buffy hated putting her newly manicured hands in the dirty water. She had already chipped two nails and her hands felt like prunes.

As Buffy was looking out the window, washing the sticky and gooey pan used during lunch, Spike walked by the kitchen window with another ranch hand Buffy had yet to meet. Well technically more like being put to work and this guy looked like he was 250 pounds solid and worked out in the fields, Spike had just kept on walking by without a glance in her direction even with the quick knock on the window since her grandma had gone to the bathroom. Tears were slowly going down her face, and Buffywiped them away not wanting her grandma to see them or Spike.

--------------------------------

"Hey Spike. That girl is trying to get your attention." Brutas said.

He was Spike's best mate here on the ranch. He was the first guy to help him when he looked around amazed at what was expected on the ranch. He even helped him dress in his new duds. Of course, sometimes he thought he looked like an ass without his black tight shirts and black jeans. Plus here he had to cover up his bleached hair and he didn't even slick it back like he did when he was around Cecily and Drucilla. Drucilla was a mate of both of theirs that came out here for the summer. She was trying to decide if she should move here, so Cecily decided to take Dru with her while she visited someone named Liam. While Spike needed a job, he wasn't able to spend the summer with them in Dallas. Maybe during some days off he could drive there and see them.

"Ignore her. Angus is watching us from the barn." When Brutas looked sure enough there he was giving both men the evil eye and watching them. Spike tipped his hat in welcome and walked past the barn. "He was never like that until that girl came." Brutas said.

:That girl is Buffy, their granddaughter. I met her yesterday and almost got caught if it wasn't for David."

"Caught doing what?" Brutas was trying not to smile as he looked at Spike asking the question. Spike just looked at him and smirked.

----------------------------------

While Buffy was still distraught over Spike not responding, the phone rang. Her grandma went to the phone and answered, "Summers Ranch, how can I help you?"

"Can I speak with Buffy please?"

"And may I ask who is calling?"

"Angel"

"i am sorry, but she is not aloud to speak with you. You caused enough problems. Go find someone else. Good Day." and she hung up. Buffy looked at her grandma wanting to know who had called. She could tell that whoever it was wanted to talk to her.

"Who was that?" Buffy asked.

"Someone who won't be bothering you any more."

"Who grandma?" Buffy was pleading.

"Someone named Angel." Her grandma said like it was nothing. Buffy was crushed. She just lost two guys in one day thanks to her grandparents. Buffy had enough and huffed as she walked out of the room and up the stairs, slamming her bedroom door shut. Tears now streaming her eyes, she cried into her pillow. She needed to get out of hell, now.

-------------------------------------

"Buffy, phone for you?" Grandma screamed up the stairs.

She had let her granddaughter cry. Sure she did the right thing by letting that man go away, but she still felt sorry for her granddaughter. After all, heartbreak is still painful. She remembered when basically this same thing had happened to her daughter Susan. Susan was 16 when she fell in love with one of the ranch hands and she remembered how Angus had dealt with it. Susan was sent away to boarding school in Switzerland. Susan never came home. Nobody knew where she was now and now the same thing was happening with her grandaughter.

Buffy came down the stairs looking red eyed, like she just had a good cry. Buffy grabbed the phone from her grandmother. "Hello?"

"Hi baby. How is my girl going?" Joyce Summers asked.

"Oh, mommy," Buffy started crying again. "I wanna come home. I can't handle this. I never sleep. I am sorry for whatever I did." Buffy rambled into the phone.

"You know your father. He said it is good for you to be there and there is no stopping him when he thinks it is the right choice." Joyce was one of those women who pleased their man. She was always perfectly dressed, not a hair out of place, especially when she went with Hank to his parties. Hank was a very respected lawyer in Los Angeles. It seemed like everyone bowed down to him. Especially Joyce.

Her grandma took the phone away from Buffy as she stated sobbing into the phone. "Go relax hunny. No need to tell Angus about this." Buffy slightly smiled at her grandma as she started up the stairs again.

"Joyce, We have to do something before Angus turns Buffy into another Hank." Regina told Joyce.

"What did you have in mind? I don't like hearing my baby girl in so much pain?"

"Well there was an Angel that called earlier and wanted to talk to Buffy. Maybe we can invite him out here so she has someone her age here."

"Anything but him. He caused my baby to do things she would never do."

-------------------------------------

Later that day, Angus walked into the house to see how things were going and found Regina all by herself. "Where is Buffy?" He seemed mad that Regina was giving her time off already.

"She needs time alone. Some guy named Angel called and got upset that I told him to go away." Regina was showing signs of weakness and Angus didn't like it.

"Buffy Anne Summers! Get your ass down here now!" Angus roared. Buffy could be heard running down the stairs, eyes still red and puffy from crying. "Start helping your grandmother cook dinner. I don't like seeing babies who can't take a ligttle work and disappointment. Life is full of disappointment. Get used to it." His hand raised and hit Buffy on the cheek. A hand print was visible on her cheek, as she tried her best not to cry.

Regina tried to go to the freezer to get her an ice pack, but Angus stopped her, twisting her arm. Regina screamed in pain.

"Grandpa stop it, you are hurting grandma." Angus quickly stopped and looked at the damage he had caused. The next thing Buffy heard was the door slam and her grandma crying.

"Don't cry grandma. Its alright, Let me get us some ice packs," Opening the freezer, Buffy took out two packages of pees and gave one to her grandmother to put on her wrist. The other she put on her cheek.

"I am so sorry Buffy that you had to witness your grandfather doing that. He has been like that ever since Susan was caught with Da..." Her grandma shut her mouth quickly, not finishing her sentence.

" So Aunt Susan and David?" Buffy asked. Now this was starting to make sense.