Author's Chapter Notes:
Cecily and Dru make an appearance in this chapter. Just remember this will be Spuffy, eventually.
Chapter Three

Spike had been busy moving the cows out of the east pasture all day and had no time to explain to Buffy on why he snubbed her. He couldn't afford to lose this job and not see Cecily again. Being here near Buffy was like having Cecily with him, well except having the romantic part. He wanted to become good friends with Summers and hoped she knew that. Why else would a 17 year old be wanting to spend time with him?

"Spike, I need your attention over here. The cows have a mind of their own today." David said.

"Sorry." bringing his thoughts back to business. He could find Buffy later, now was time to get to work.

-------------------------------------

"Buffy, please don't tell anyone about this. Your grandfather hasn't been the same since Susan left." She seemed to let the words sit there, not confirming what Buffy had said earlier.

"Why not? Grandpa needs help. I mean he hit me." pointing to her still red welted face,

"You can't tell me your father has never hit you or your mother." Buffy looked down guiltily.

"He usually just hits mom when she doesn't listen to him or she talks back. I have learned to shut up around him and disappear."

"So that is why you started this partying last year because you didn't want to be near the violence." Her grandma looked like a light bulb went off in her head. "I need to ask you something. Are you sexually active?"

Buffy turned beat red before saying, "No Grandma. I swear." Thank god her grandma nodded her head and turned away to continue dinner like nothing ever happened. Buffy decided she better help before her grandpa came back in and started yelling some more. If he was anything like her father than he will come back in here and act like nothing ever happened.

--------------------------------

After cooking the roast, potatoes, and homemade rolls, Buffy was told to ring the dinner bell. "Make sure you yell it to or your grandpa might start in again."

Buffy nodded her head and walked to the front porch where the god awful bell hung. It was a rusty old thing that probably had been around awhile. Buffy picked up the metal stick and rang the bell. "Dinner!" she made sure to yell it so her grandpa could hear her behind the barns. At least that is where he was an hour ago when David had come inside to get papers out of her grandpa's office. He didn't even seem to care when he saw her imprinted cheek or her grandma's iced arm and yet again he probably witnesses it all the time, especially if he was involved with Susan.

Buffy went back into the house waiting for the house to become filled with the cowboys of the ranch. She had only actually met three, and her grandfather made nothing to change that, She wasn't even have supposed to have met Spike and since Spike was still working here, she didn't think her grandpa knew.

David and her grandpa were the first to walk in to the kitchen. Buffy's face quickly changed from happy to a face hiding fear. It seems David noticed the change and looked Buffy over. When Buffy met his eyes, he showed sadness in his eyes and his smile didn't quite shine the way it did before. He pointed to her cheek and silently asked if she was okay. Buffy smiled weekly. So maybe David did care. Maybe he was just so used to seeing her grandparents fight that he became immune until he saw the look in her eyes. She still needed to talk to him about Aunt Susan. Maybe he knew where she was and hopefully her aunt could help her get out of this family, like she did.

"Start serving Buffy." her grandpa snapped to get her out of her daydream. Buffy just jumped from being startled, but quickly went to get her grandfather some food before he did anything in front of anyone.

----------------------------

When Spike walked into the house, he noticed everyone was in sour moods including Angus. What had happened while he and Brutas were checking fence? He figured it out as soon as Buffy brought him his dinner. Her face contained a palm print of what looked like a large man, a man the size of her grandpa. Spike was getting angry, Was this why everyone was mad? Because this time he took his anger out on his granddaughter, a granddaughter who was doing everything he asked. Spike looked around the room to where Regina Summers sat. Her right arm seemed to be bruised where it wasn't before. Why couldn't someone teach Angus a lesson that involves not hitting women.

"What are looking around for boy?" Mr. Summers seemed to now directing his anger at Spike. Spike just smiled and said, "salt." With that Mr. Summers nodded and went back to his food. A salt shaker appeared to the right of him. He looked up and met her gorgeous green eyes, except this time they were dull. He smiled at her, but she refused to smile back. Something was definitely going on in this house when nobody else was around.

---------------------------------

Spike seemed to be eating slow tonight, but Regina didn't seem to mind. Once her husband had left to go back outside with David, the rest of the table was able to breath again. The men even took their plates to get second and third helping and took the plates to the sink. No body had bothered Buffy or herself for anything. It was like they knew that Buffy and herself needed sometime to themselves and eat their meal in peace.

Buffy had begun doing the dishes as soon as she was finished eating, which wasn't much, not even a quarter of her food. Her granddaughter sure did look pale after her encounter with her grandfather. Regina watched Spike pick up his plate and bring it to the sink. He whispered something to Buffy and left. She watched as Buffy got a smile to her face before it disappeared again when Angus had walked by the window. Regina thought, 'Maybe Spike will be good for Buffy while she is in this hell I live everyday.'

"Buffy?" Her grandma asked. Buffy turned around and looked at her grandma. "I will let you go meet him tonight for an hour as long as it stays platonic. Please be back her by 11 or your grandpa will have both of our heads." Buffy smiled shyly then ran to her grandma giving her a big hug. "Thank you so much."

"What are grandma's for" Regina returned the smile to her granddaughter. "Now lets finish these dishes so tonight can come faster for you."

-----------------------------

At exactly 10 pm her grandma stuck her head into the room. "Buffy your grandpa is asleep. Remember one hour." She reminded.

"Thank you so much." Buffy said as she slowly walked down the stairs and out the door, making sure to take a light jacket. She was so busy concentrating on not getting caught, she didn't even notice a strange black car parked out by the bunks. She just kept walking to the creek until she heard voices. Quietly approaching, she looked between two trees and saw spike, her spike, with two other women. One had dark hair and one was a blond. When she tried to get closer, a branch broke and cracked, letting the group by the creek alerting them.

"Who's there?" Spike asked. Buffy came out of the shadows trying not to show how crushed she was. "Buffy." Spike sighed in relief. "Buffy I would like you to meet my girlfriend Cecily and good friend Drucilla." When Buffy heard the word girlfriend, there was no stopping the tears. She turned and ran back to the house, not even hearing Spike yell her name.