Chapter Four

When Buffy awoke the next morning, she looked at her alarm clock. "Damn, its 7! I am going to be in so much trouble from grandpa." Buffy quickly dressed in Levis jeans and a UCSD t-shirt. The shirt could have been used as pajamas since it hung down past her knees, She decided to tuck the shirt in to at least look somewhat presentable. When Buffy walked down the stairs, she realized it was quiet. She searched the whole house and found no one, Then she looked outside and saw her grandma walking back to the house with a basket of eggs.

"Hi, Buffy. How did things go last night?" Her grandma looked at her knowing something was wrong. Her granddaughter didn't look so good. She looked like she had a good cry last night. She thought she had heard her crying, but didn't want to alert Angus.

"I''m fine. Why was I allowed to sleep in?" Buffy looked around out the window looking for her grandpa. She saw him in the far away pasture with Spike. Buffy's anger surfaced again. "UGH!"

Ignoring her granddaughter's ugh she said, "I told your grandpa that you were not feeling too well so he let you sleep in just so you can help tonight with the branding." "Yuck! I am so not hurting cows or horses." Buffy looked horrified at hurting animals. Grandma, I don't think I can do that?"

"You better little girl!" Her Grandpa had walked in the door and had heard her whining about branding, "Now that you are up and feeling better, go see Spike and he will help you with your riding skills."

Buffy wasn't too happy about having Spike teach her, but she didn't want to alarm her grandpa about Spike and she didn't feel like getting a beating either,

-------------------------------

"Spike." Buffy whispered when she walked into the horse barn looking at Spike rubbing down the black horse named Midnight. Spike turned around with a huge smile on his face. "Buffy. Thank god. I wanted to talk to you since you ran last night." "Shut up" Buffy screamed. Spike looked at her stunned. " I don't understand. I thought we were friends or at least trying to be. Then When my girlfriend showed up, you turned into a bitch."

'A bitch?!?" Buffy screamed. "You haven't seen me as a bitch yet." Buffy was trying to hold her tears in. "And friends? I wouldn't be friends with you if you were the last man on the planet." The barn became silent. "Just teach me to ride and then you can stay away from me after this." Buffy said tiredly.

"fine!" Spike said as he threw a brush at her and told her to rub down the white horse named Alfonso.

---------------------------

"Put your feet in the damn stirrups." Spike yelled again for what seemed like the 10th time. "I am doing just fine the way I am. Thank You very much." Buffy snipped back.

"Why do I even bother with you." Spike rode off leaving Buffy in a cloud of dirt. "Hey! How do I get off this thing?" Buffy screamed back at him. He just kept riding off. "Fine then! I will do it myself!" Buffy tried tp get off the horse, but forget to put her feel in the stirrups causing her to fall flat on her ass in the muddy dirt. "I am so gonna kill him."

-----------------------------

When Buffy walked into the house, she was dragging mud inside as it dripped off her boots and shirt. "Buffy what on earth happened to you?" Her grandma looked astonished at the mess her granddaughter was in. "Go upstairs and change before you get more mud everywhere."

Regina Summers just chuckled after her granddaughter went upstairs. Spike and her granddaughter sure had the same spitfire attitude toward each other as Susan and David. Just thinking about Susan made her sad. Her daughter disappeared when she was 18 and never heard from again. Susan would be 35, probably have a husband and family who knew nothing about their grandparents. Not that she didn't blame her daughter for Angus's behavior. Regina was not going to have the same thing happen to her granddaughter.

------------------

When Buffy came downstairs, Regina was mopping the floor to get rid of the mud her granddaughter brought in. "Let me help grandma. Its my mess."

"You never did tell me why you got muddy?" Regina said with an eyebrow lifted, giving Buffy her curious look.

'Spike and I were fighting and he took off without telling me how to get down so I tried to jump and landed on my butt in the mud by the troff." Regina then laughed deeply. 'Its not funny grandma." Buffy looked embarrassed yet mad at the same time,

"You know your grandpa still expects you to help him brand today and if you can't help gather the cows on horseback how do you expect to help?" "I don't know, I will think of something." Her grandma still chuckled as she started mopping again.

-------------------------

"Buffy!" Angus yelled inside the house. "Get down here and get ready to start branding."

Buffy came down the stairs, dirty from dusting Susan's old room. The room had at least 6 inches of dust on everything and had not been touched till this day. Her grandma thought it would be a good idea to finally clean the room as a spiritual thing asking for forgiveness thinking maybe Susan would finally home.

"Hurry it up. We are losing daylight here." Angus went outside to the horse barn and got his horse ready. He had the biggest horse on the ranch. His name was Stallion since the horse thought himself as one. As Buffy was coming out, she noticed Alfonso was waiting for her. Someone must have saddled him up already for her. When she walked over to the horse she kept chanting, "Do not fall off. Do not fall off."

She walked up to the horse she remembered Spike's words about using the stirrups. One foot in and the other goes over. " I did it!" Buffy shouted.

"Good to see that NOW you listen." Spike said as he put the horse into a trollop. "Come on Princess." Spike yelled.

Buffy was getting furious. " I will show him a princess." Buffy then kicked the horse a little too hard which sent the horse running with Buffy screaming "Stop you damn horse."

Spike and Angus just laughed until Buffy was thrown from the horse. Angus rode over to her and saw her bleeding and not moving, "Spike, go get help!"

Spike tore off to get back to the house.