Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm amazed! I never thought I'd get so many reviews for my last chapter, I can't tell you how much it means to me. I'm so very happy I haven't lost my readers after all, thank you all so much! As a thank you for all your wonderful support; here's the next chapter a couple of days early. Hope you don't mind. ;) Oh, and a special thanks to Zoe for helping me out a bit with the grammar!
Buffy woke up with a frown, looking around the room in confusion for a moment before remembering were she was. Spike was still sleeping next to her on the couch, so she carefully untangled herself from his arms and slowly sat up. Her back and neck hurt and she winced, not being used to sleeping all night on a couch. Still, she couldn’t help but smile as she recalled the feeling of falling asleep in Spike’s strong arms, hearing him whisper sweet words of love and affection in her ear as she felt herself drifting away. For the longest time, they had just been lying there on the couch, clinging to each other almost desperately before finally allowing sleep to claim them.

Now Spike stirred on the couch, mumbling something she couldn’t make out. Reaching out for her, his eyes immediately snapped open when he couldn’t find her. “Hey, get back here.”

Smiling, Buffy leaned over and gave him a soft kiss on his lips. “Be right back.”

She tried to get up, but he grabbed her arm to prevent her from leaving. “I said get back here, m’lonely!”

Buffy gave him a patient look, although she was still smiling. “I really need to pee.” He let go of her arm with a pout, and she giggled. “Are you pouting?”

“No!” He glared at her. “I don’t bloody pout.”

She giggled again, knowing that it was exactly what he had been doing. “You know, you’re really cute in the morning.” His eyes narrowed and he opened his mouth to object, but she beat him to it; “In a very manly way, of course.” She ignored his snort and got up. “Mind if I take a shower?”

Spike finally sat up. “Go ahead. I’ll fix us some breakfast.” Then he spotted some leftover pizza on the coffee table and grabbed a slice.

Buffy stared at him. “Okay, that’s just gross.”

“What?” He took a big bite.

“Spike, that pizza’s been there all night!” She grimaced.

He shrugged. “So? I’m hungry.”

She rolled her eyes, an amused look on her face. “Whatever.” Trying to run her fingers through her hair, her eyes widened in horror. “Oh my God! Why didn’t you tell me?!”

“About what?” He put the pizza down, looking at her in confusion.

“About the dead cat on my head!” He chuckled. Buffy glared at him and stormed off towards the bathroom, muttering angrily to herself.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~


When Buffy returned, about twenty minutes later, she found Spike in the kitchen, making toast and coffee. He looked up when she entered the room. “Working today?” She shook her head, happily accepting the cup of coffee he offered her. “Me neither. Wanna go shopping?”

Buffy stopped with the cup in mid air, raising a brow. “Wow! You really are the perfect boyfriend, aren’t you? I could always use a new pair of shoes!” She smiled, widely.

He rolled his eyes. “I bet, but then you’re on your own. I’d follow you to the end of the world, pet, except to some bloody shoe store where I’d be spending the rest of the day watching you trying on different kinds of footwear.” Now it was her turn to pout and he cocked his head to the side. “Look at that lip… gonna get it!” Buffy giggled as he pulled her close and attacked her lips with his. Then he pulled back and glanced at her, almost shyly. “You, um… think you might wanna spend the night here again some time?”

She gave him a soft smile. “Of course.” Then her smile faltered a little. “I mean, if you want me to?”

Running his fingers gently down her cheek, Spike looked her right in the eyes. “Don’t have to ask, luv. I won’t let you go now.” The smile on her face was back. He gently brushed his lips against hers again, then walked over to the kitchen table, putting some distance between them. When he spoke again, he kept his eyes on the floor, not wanting to look directly at her. “Kinda need a new bed. It’s too small for the two of us, and, um…” He hesitated. “Just wouldn’t feel right, you know, sleeping there after…” He stopped, clearly uncomfortable with the serious turn the conversation had suddenly taken.

“Oh.” Buffy bit her lip, slowly walking over to him. “Of course, I understand.” She took his hand and squeezed it, softly.

Giving her a grateful look, Spike slipped his free arm around her slender waist. He was quiet for a moment, enjoying the way she was leaning closer to him. “Thought about moving, you know, finding a new place.” She looked at him but didn’t say anything, so he went on; “I mean, he’s been here. And…” He let go of her, abruptly, and started pacing the room. Then he stopped, looking down at his feet. “I left London to get away from him. But now he’s here. And I feel like…” He hesitated, not sure how to go on since he just wasn’t used to having to put his feelings into words.

She gave him a sad smile, understanding dawning on her. “You feel like by showing up here, he’s taken something from you.” He glanced at her, but didn’t say anything. Still, she had come to know him well enough to realize that she was on the right tracks. She took a hesitant step towards him. “Spike?”

“Yeah, well, he’s been doing that my whole bloody life,” he muttered, angrily. “Don’t know why I was stupid enough to think it would stop just because I got out of the country!” He let out a frustrated sigh, then glanced at Buffy again. “Sorry, luv, I just…”

“Don’t.” She gave him a firm look. “Never apologize for how you feel. I want you to talk to me, remember? I just wish there was something I could do to make it easier for you.”

Spike stared at her for a moment before walking over to her, pulling Buffy into his arms and hugging her close. “You do,” he mumbled into her hair. “Don’t ever doubt it, pet. If it weren’t for you, I…” He swallowed, not sure there were even words enough to explain to her how much she had already done for him. He may have saved her the first time they met, but it was really Buffy who had saved him, from a life in total loneliness and isolation. He had been dead inside before he met her, and she had brought him back to life. And for that, he didn’t think he would ever be able to repay her. But he was willing to spend the rest of his life trying.

Suddenly he pulled back. “Let’s go out tonight.”

Buffy stared at him like he had just grown a second head. “What?”

“I said, let’s go out tonight.” He gave her a pleading look. “Buffy, I don’t wanna spend all my time sitting here wondering when that bastard will be back. And you deserve to have some fun. We could…” He stopped when he saw the frown on her face. “What?”

She sighed. “What about you, Spike? Don’t you deserve to have some fun as well?” Crossing her arms over her chest, she silently dared him to object.

He opened his mouth, then closed it again. Finally he let out a sigh. “Fine. We both deserve to have some fun. Happy?”

Giving him a sweet smile, Buffy placed a soft kiss on his cheek. “Very.”

Spike gave her an uncertain look. “So, what do you say?”

“Oh.” She giggled a little. “Sorry. I’d love to go out tonight. But…” She bit her lip, nervously, then glanced at him. “Spike, you know I love you, right?” He gave her a somewhat worried look, but nodded. “Well, there is one thing I’d like you to do for me.”

He raised a brow. “I’m not going bloody shoe-shopping with you.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “That’s not it.”

“Oh, thank God!” He smirked when she mock glared at him. “You know I’d do anything for you, luv. What is it?”

She took a deep breath. “I’d like you to meet my parents.”


TBC