Author's Chapter Notes:
I just found out that High School Outcasts has been nominated for Lonely School Award (Best High School Fic) at the Cradle Of Humanity Awards round 2. A huge thanks to whoever nominated it! :)
”Hey, Buffy, come on in!” After taking a step back to allow her friend to enter, Willow closed the door behind her. “You just missed Xander; he left about ten minutes ago.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Good for me, then.” It was still early in the morning and she wanted nothing more than to just go back to Spike’s place and spend the rest of the day with him. Unfortunately, they both had to work today. Well, at least Spike would be going to work. Buffy had called in sick as soon as Spike had left the apartment. There was something else she needed to do today, and she didn’t want Spike to find out.

“Buffy…” Willow now gave her a sad smile. “I know you and Xander don’t exactly get along these days, but try to remember that he was one of your best friends a few months ago.”

“I know, Willow. And that’s why it hurts so much.” Buffy sighed. “Xander’s supposed to be my friend, like you say, but he refuses to accept my boyfriend.” Willow opened her mouth, but Buffy went on; “I’ve never said anything mean about the girls he’s dated over the years. Which I could have, I might add, since they’ve all been major psychos. You remember that girl with blue hair and the piercing thingy in her…?” Willow nodded, blushing slightly. “What was her name? Bethany? I’m telling you, Will, she made my cousin, Faith, look like a saint.”

“I guess.” Willow smiled a little. “I wish Xander would just find a nice girl already.”

Buffy snorted. “Yeah, me too. Maybe then he’d stop acting like such a jerk.”

Willow’s smile disappeared and she was quiet for a moment. “Buffy, Xander misses you. He told me how he wished things could just go back to the way they were before.” Seeing that Buffy was about to interrupt, she hurried on; “He knows he messed up. I know he’s really sorry. He just wants you to forgive him.”

“Forgiveness is something you have to earn, Will.” Buffy could feel a headache coming up. “I can’t help him with that. Now, can we please just change the subject?”

The red-head looked like she was about to object, then seemed to decide against it and nodded. “Yeah, of course.”

“Thanks.” Buffy let out a relieved sigh. “Look, Will, about this other thing… I can’t tell you how much it means to me that you’re willing to help me.”

Suddenly, Willow didn’t seem to want to meet her eyes. “Yeah, about that…”

Stopping in her tracks, Buffy gave her friend a worried look. “Willow, you said you’d do this when I called you earlier. I can’t do it without you.”

“I know what I said, I just…” Willow hesitated. “Buffy, what you’re asking me to do… I’d be breaking the law here. You’re asking me to commit a crime, and you won’t even tell me what it’s about.”

“I know, and I’m sorry.” Buffy sighed. “Look, I promise I’ll explain everything, just not right now.” She paused. “And it’s really not that big a deal. I mean, it’s not like I’m asking you to dig up any top classified secrets or anything. All I need is an address.”

“Yeah, but still…” Willow let out a nervous laugh. “Hacking into any non public computer system is still illegal, Buffy. Even if it’s just a record of guests staying at a motel. I’d be seeking out personal information, like birth dates and stuff. People have a right to their privacy. Otherwise, that information would be available to everyone.”

“Trust me, Willow.” Buffy laughed, bitterly. “The man I’m trying to find? He has no such rights.”

Willow didn’t look totally convinced. “But…”

Buffy interrupted her. “Will, this is important. Can you do this, or not?”

“Well, sure.” Willow looked almost offended. “I can do it. But it doesn’t feel right.” She sighed. “All right, fine. But I’m going to need a name.” She walked over to her computer and sat down.

“Ethan Rayne. Rayne with a ‘y’ and an ‘e’ at the end.” Buffy let out the breath she had been holding. “Thank you, Will.”

“Don’t thank me just yet.” Willow quickly typed something and then looked up, a serious look on her face. “There are no guaranties, Buffy. I mean, I’ll give it a try, but I may not be able to find this guy. You’re not even sure he’s really staying at a motel. He might be renting an apartment instead, and if that’s the case, I have no way of finding out where.”

Buffy nodded. “I understand. I’m sure he’s staying at a motel, though. He’d probably want to be able to leave town quickly.”

“Even so.” Willow turned her attention back to the screen. “He could’ve signed into the motel, not using his real name. I can’t exactly do any miracles.”

“I know that!” Buffy took a deep breath, forcing herself to calm down. The fact that Ethan could have used a different name had never even crossed her mind and she silently prayed that Willow was wrong. “Just give it your best shot, Will. I have total faith in you.”

“You know what, Buffy?” Letting out a tired sigh, Willow then typed some more. “Sometimes I really wish you didn’t.” Buffy had no idea how to respond to that, so she remained silent. Willow glanced at her again. “I just wish you would tell me what’s going on. What have you gotten yourself involved in?

“Please, Will, do us both a favor and don’t ask.” Buffy gave her a pleading look.

“Buffy, you’re my best friend.” Willow’s face was a mixture of sadness and frustration. “I’m just worried about you.” A pause. “This guy… Is he dangerous? Is there any chance he might hurt you?”

Buffy thought about it for a moment. “Yes, and no. Yes – he’s dangerous, and no – I won’t give him a chance to hurt me. And I’m gonna make sure he’ll never be able to hurt anyone else again, either.” Willow opened her mouth, but Buffy beat her to it; “Speaking of which, that’s why I need that other thing I told you about. Do you have it?”

Willow nodded, gesturing towards a small bag on the table. “It’s in the bag. Do you know how to use it?”

Buffy stepped over to the table and picked up the small object inside the bag. “Can’t be that hard, right? I’ll figure it out. Thanks for letting me borrow it.”

Shrugging, Willow turned back to the computer. “No big. Not like I use it anymore.”

“Still…” Buffy walked over to Willow and put her hand on her friend’s shoulder. “Thanks for everything.” She was quiet for a moment. “I’m doing the right thing here, Willow.”

Willow gave her a small smile. “I’m sure you are. I just don’t want you to get into trouble.” A pause. “You don’t have to answer this, but has it got anything to do with Spike?”

“No.” Buffy frowned. “Well, in a way. But he doesn’t know I’m doing this. I fact…” She gave Willow a serious look. “He can’t find out about this, Will. I mean it. He wouldn’t understand.”

For a moment, Willow just looked at her. Then she nodded. “Okay.” For a couple of minutes, neither of them said anything. Suddenly Willow sat up straight on the chair. “I think I got something.”

“Really?” Buffy was almost afraid to get her hopes up. “Did you find out where he’s staying?”

“Yup.” Willow nodded. “Ethan Rayne is staying in room 21, at the Sunnydale Motor Inn.


TBC


Chapter End Notes:
Before I forget; I'd like to say thank you to the person who e-mailed me to let me know about that typo in the end of last chapter. It's taken care of now. I tried to respond to your e-mail but couldn't for some reason. :)