Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm really sorry for the delay, but I'm still struggling with my writing. I promise to respond to all of the reviews as soon as I can, sorry for not doing it sooner. I really appreciate them all.
A couple of hours later, Spike was half lying on the couch in front of the TV when Buffy came hurrying down the stairs. “Hey.” She walked over to the couch, sitting down next to him. “I have to go see Willow and Xander. Just talked to Willow on the phone, and she insisted I’d come over.” A pause. “I’d like for you to come, too.”

“Huh?” Spike looked up, a somewhat startled expression on his face. Then he shook his head. “I don’t think so, pet.” Seeing how she was about to object, he quickly went on; “Some other time, I promise. Just really not in a mood right now. But you go ahead. Tell ‘em I said hi.”

“Spike...” Buffy bit her lip, nervously, the concern evident on her face. “You okay?”

“Course.” He turned his attention back to the TV. “Just kinda tired. Didn’t get much sleep last night.”

“Right. I understand. Um, look, I...” She hesitated, and he realized that she was trying to tell him something important, but didn’t know quite how. He waited patiently, and finally she went on; “I also talked to Gunn. We have an appointment next Thursday, at four-thirty.” She held her breath, waiting for his reaction.

Spike froze in his tracks, but didn’t take his eyes away from the TV. “All right.”

Buffy waited for him to say something more, but he didn’t. She wished he would just look at her. Right now, she had no idea what he was thinking. “Are... are you okay with that? Thursday, I mean?”

“Sure.” He still wouldn’t meet her eyes, and it was starting to freak her out.

She went on, like she hadn’t heard him. “Cause, you know, if you have to work...”

“I don’t.” Spike finally reached for the remote and turned the sound off with a sigh. “Looks like I got fired.”

“What?!” Buffy stared at him in disbelief, and he finally turned to look at her. “When did this happen? And how come you didn’t tell me?”

“Telling you now, aren’t I?” He grimaced. “Sorta took off yesterday and forgot to call back. Apparently pissed my boss right off, ‘cause he left a bunch of angry messages on my voice-mail, all of ‘em saying pretty much the same thing. Don’t bother to come back.” He shrugged.

“That’s just crazy, he can’t do that!” Buffy jumped up from the couch. “Okay, if you’ll just explain the circumstances, I’m sure he...”

“No.” Spike slumped back into the couch. “I really don’t care. Never liked the bloody job in the first place.”

“That’s not the point.” Buffy sat back down, trying to reason with him. “You need that job. How are you gonna get a new apartment without a regular income?”

He was quiet for a moment. That was a damn good question. Going back to live at his apartment was definitely not something he looked forward to, but it seemed like he didn’t have much of a choice. Finally he forced a smile. “I’ll think of something.”

“Like what?” She gave him an incredulous look. “You gonna rob a bank?”

“Hmm.” Spike pretended to seriously consider it. Seeing the look on her face, he let out a snort. “Don’t worry, luv. Doubt I’ll ever be that desperate.” Buffy looked at him, but didn’t say anything. He sighed. “Really, Buffy, it’ll be okay. I’ll figure something out.” He leaned over and placed a soft kiss on her cheek.

She gave him a somewhat uncertain smile and reached for his hand, squeezing it gently. For a moment they just sat there in silence, neither of them speaking. Then Buffy glanced at her watch, a thoughtful look on her face. “I could always call Willow and tell her I’ll come see her some other day...”

“No, you should go.” Spike interrupted her. “Don’t wanna make your mates disappointed.”

Buffy shook her head. “No, really, I don’t have to...”

“Oh bloody hell!” He let out an annoyed sigh. “Seriously, Buffy, think I can manage a couple of hours alone in an empty house.” Seeing the hurt look on her face, he immediately regretted lashing out at her like that, and hurried to apologize. “I’m sorry, luv. I just don’t want you changing your plans for me, is all. I’ll be fine.”

“All right.” She didn’t look totally convinced, but obviously decided to let it go for now. Then she started to get up, but Spike grabbed her arm to stop her. She gave him a questioning look.

She was a little surprised when he wrapped his arms around her, burying his face in her hair. “Love you, pet,” he mumbled. “Know I haven’t said it much lately, but...”

“Shh, I know.” Buffy hugged him, hard. “I love you, too. And I’m sorry for being so overprotective.” She pulled back a little, kissing him gently on the lips, and was happily relieved when he immediately returned the kiss, like he had just been waiting for her to take the first step. Now she really wished that she didn’t have to go. Most reluctantly, she pulled back again. “I should probably...”

“Yeah.” He let go of her and reached for the remote again, turning the sound back on.

“I’ll hurry back. Then we can...” Buffy stopped, having been interrupted by the sound of the doorbell, and frowned. “Who can that be?” Not waiting for an answer, she hurried over to the door and opened. Her eyes widened when she recognized the man standing outside. “Officer? Is something wrong?”

Gunn gave her an assuring smile, but she thought that he seemed a little nervous. “Not at all, I just...” He hesitated. “I’m sorry to just show up like this, but... May I come in?”

Now it was her turn to hesitate. “I was just on my way out...”

He interrupted her before she could finish. “Actually, Miss Summers, I came here to talk to your boyfriend. Is he here?”

Before Buffy got the chance to answer, Spike appeared in the doorway behind her, putting his arm casually around her shoulders. “What’s the problem, Officer?”

“There’s no problem, I just have a few questions.” Gunn looked from Spike to Buffy. “But if this is a bad time...?”

“What kind of questions?” Spike eyed the other man, a little suspiciously.

Gunn opened his mouth to answer, but Buffy beat him to it; “Why don’t I just call Willow, and...”

“Buffy.” Spike gave her a warning look. She looked at him. “Go. I’ll handle this.”

“Are you sure?” He nodded. It was obvious that Buffy wasn’t happy about it, but she put on a strained smile. “All right. I won’t be long.” Giving his hand a final squeeze, she glanced at Gunn again before slipping out through the door.

Spike looked after her for a moment, then held back a sigh as he turned back to Gunn. “Come on in, Officer.”

“Really, there’s no need to be so formal. Just call me Gunn.” Gunn stepped through the door and stopped just inside. “Besides, I’m not here in any official business.” He cleared his throat, nervously. “It’s more of a personal visit, actually. I hope you don’t mind.” Spike just raised a brow and gave him a questioning look, waiting for the other man to go on.


TBC