Author's Chapter Notes:
I wasn't going to post this chapter until tomorrow, but since I still have some last minute Christmas preparations to take care of then, I'll just update tonight instead. I'm so happy you're still enjoying this story, thank you all so much for your nice reviews, and Merry Christmas!
Xander Harris hurried across the dark parking lot outside the night club, angrily muttering to himself. If there was something he hated more than anything, it was to be publicly humiliated. He shook his head in disbelief, still not able to take in the fact that Buffy had chosen Spike over him, like that idiot actually mattered. Xander hated Spike with a passion, for reasons he didn’t quite understand, but he didn’t care. To him it was very simple; Spike – bad, himself – good. Too bad Buffy obviously didn’t see it that way. But hopefully, she would come around.

He knew, and had known for quite a while, that Buffy would never look at him and see him as something other than just a friend. And to tell the truth, he actually believed it was better that way. Buffy was sweet and kind and beautiful, and maybe a part of him would always secretly hope that she would one day see him in a different light. Sometimes he could even fool himself into thinking that he loved her. As far as his best friend; Willow, was concerned, the reason why he ran around chasing after different women every night was to take his mind off of Buffy. He and Willow had known each other since they were kids, and for years there had just been the two of them. Then, when they were about to start their second year of high school, Buffy Summers had entered their lives.

Deep down, he knew that it wasn’t about Buffy at all. It was all about him. Buffy represented something he could never have, just like all the other countless girls he desperately tried to hook up with night after night. Of course, there were other girls, nice girls, who gladly would have gone out with him, had he bothered to look their way. But he never did. He needed to chase after what was unattainable. Because if he didn’t, if he would stop and settle down with some girl, he feared that he would be forced to realize that it wouldn’t be enough. He had told Buffy and Willow that he was tired of being single, and he hadn’t been lying. But even though he refused to admit it, even to himself, a part of him knew that no girl would ever be enough for him.

One night, about two years ago, he had gone to The Bronze without his friends, and had managed to get quite drunk even though he wasn't old enough. The bartenders at The Bronze had never been known for bothering checking for ID's. He had spent the entire night chasing after a beautiful dark-haired cheerleader named Cordelia Chase, and of course, she had turned him down. No surprise there. So he had ended up at the bar, drinking beer after beer and feeling more and more sorry for himself. Then he noticed the blond man sitting on the bar stool next to him, wearing a black leather duster. Xander had never seen him before and figured that whoever he was, he had to be new in town.

He didn’t know why, but for some reason he had found himself unable to look away, which was very disturbing. Had it been a woman sitting there next to him, it had been one thing. But this was a man. After some hesitation, Xander had tried to start a conversation and Spike had told him, more or less, to get lost. Only he hadn’t been so nice about it. At first, all Xander felt was humiliation. Then came the fury, first directed at himself, then at Spike. It was two years ago now, and he still remembered it like it was yesterday.

Having been lost in the memories, Xander didn’t hear the footsteps behind him, but suddenly he felt a strong hand on his shoulder and spun around. His eyes widened when he realized who was standing in front of him, a threatening look on his face. Xander held up his hands in surrender, letting out a nervous laugh. “Hey, Olaf! Look, man, I can explain…” That was how far he got before the huge man punched him in the face, causing him to stumble back with a gasp.

“You think I wouldn’t find out?” Olaf glared at him. “You’ve been after my girl all night.” He raised his fist to strike again and Xander desperately took a step back, only to realize that he was trapped against a wall.

“Wait!” He swallowed nervously. “I swear, I didn’t know Anya was your girlfriend. I’m really sorry.”

Olaf just laughed. “You expect me to believe that?” Xander opened his mouth to respond but Olaf went on; “Even if it was true, I really wouldn’t care.” He pushed Xander back, hard, against the brick wall, and was just about to hit him again when someone grabbed him from behind.

“Hey, big guy! Go pick on someone your own size.”

Olaf’s eyes narrowed and he gave Spike a confused look as he obviously recognized him. “You’re defending him?” He gestured towards Xander.

Spike snorted. “Hell, no! But I do look forward to kick your ass. Have been craving for a fight all night.”

Looking slightly taken aback, Olaf let out a laugh, then stepped away from Xander. “Really? Bring it on!”

Spike casted a brief look at Xander. “Go.” Xander just stared at him, remaining where he was and Spike rolled his eyes. “What are you waiting for, you git?! Get the bloody hell out of here!” Finally Xander reacted, and took off.

He stopped about a hundred feet away, looking back over his shoulder. So far the two men were just circling each other, but he suspected there would soon be a major fight. Maybe Spike was a good fighter, but Xander seriously doubted he would stand a chance against someone like Olaf, who was about twice his size. He got a smug look on his face; suddenly the night didn’t seem so bad after all. It sure looked like Spike would finally get what he deserved. Ignoring the fact that Spike had probably just saved him from getting his teeth kicked out, Xander just shrugged and turned away from the scene. Not feeling the least bit guilty, he just walked away without looking back again.


TBC