Author's Chapter Notes:
Still with me?
”I can’t believe you did this.” Storming into the kitchen, Buffy knew her mother would follow. She spun around, arms crossed over her chest. “You know how I feel about these things.”

Joyce sighed. “Yes, I do. And that’s why I decided to surprise you, because if I had told you about this, you wouldn’t have showed up. This year will be different, you’ll see. I’ll make sure of that.”

“That’s not the point, Mom.” Buffy could feel a headache coming up. “Look, I realize what you’re trying to do and I appreciate the thought, but you shouldn’t have gone behind my back like that. Now everyone’s gonna think I’m some kind of ungrateful bitch for not jumping for joy over this.”

“I’m sorry you feel like that, honey.” Joyce watched her daughter for a moment before she continued. “I always loved my birthdays when I was a little girl. I used to look forward to that one special day for months. I guess it just breaks my heart that you don’t feel the same way.”

“Well, that’s the thing. I don’t.” Buffy struggled not to let her irritation show, hating to hurt her mother’s feelings. “I’m sorry, Mom. But I really wish you hadn’t gone through all this trouble.”

“Just give it a chance, will you? For me?” Joyce smiled a little. “You might actually enjoy yourself.”

Buffy closed her eyes for a moment, then nodded in defeat. “Fine. I’ll go back in there with a smile on my face, eat cake and pretend to be happy.”

“Oh, don’t be so dramatic.” Joyce gave her a look of disapproval. “It’s just your friends in there.”

“And Faith.” Buffy rolled her eyes. “Really, Mom, why did you have to invite her?”

Joyce got a surprised look on her face. “Buffy, Faith is your cousin. Besides, I know you two haven’t always gotten along in the past, but I thought things were different now. After all, you did go to that club together last month when you spent the night at her place.”

“Yeah, about that...” Buffy’s voice trailed off as she suddenly recalled the events of that night. Last month, her mom said. Strange. It felt like a lifetime ago. The memories came rushing through her mind, playing up like pictures in her head.

She and Faith taking over the dance floor, pretending to be unaware of the attention they were getting from practically every single man in the club.

Angel coming up to her, looking her deep in the eyes before taking her hand, leading her down from the dance floor towards the exit.

Angel kissing her fiercely in the dark alley behind The Bronze, right before ripping her clothes off and pinning her to the ground.

Spike showing up, kicking Angel’s ass and changing her life forever.

Spike...

They had been nothing but strangers to each other back then; two strangers who just happened to be at the same place at the same time. And Buffy knew that if she hadn’t followed Angel outside that night, they would most likely still be. It was a horrible thought, being grateful for almost being raped in an alley. But in a way, that was how she felt.

Sure, they could have met under better circumstances, no point in denying that, but what really mattered was the fact that they had met at all. For that, Buffy would always be grateful. And she knew without doubt that Spike felt the same way. Speaking of Spike...

Buffy snapped out of her thoughts and looked at her mother. “Wait a minute. Spike’s not here? You invited my friends, but somehow you forgot to mention this to my boyfriend?!”

Joyce opened her mouth, but Buffy went on, an incredulous look on her face; “What, you didn’t think I’d want him to be here? You go on and on about this being such a special day, and you don’t think I wanna spend it with the one person who means the most to me?”

“Hey...” Buffy jumped, startled by the voice coming from behind her, and spun around, only to find herself looking into the deep blue eyes of her boyfriend. Spike looked amused. “Give your mum a break, yeah? Wouldn’t miss this for anything, you silly bint.”

She stared at him, mouth open. “Spike? You know what day it is?!” Okay, that sounded stupid, even to her own ears.

“Saturday?” He smirked.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “You know that’s not what I meant, smart ass!” She couldn’t help but giggle. Then she met her mother’s eyes, and her smile faded. “Okay, feeling kinda stupid now.”

Joyce crossed her arms over her chest, giving her daughter a stern look. “Buffy Anne Summers, I’m deeply disappointed in you! Did you actually believe I would throw you a birthday party and not invite Spike?”

“I... No, of course not, I...” Buffy cringed with embarrassment. “God, I’m sorry, Mom, I didn’t mean...”

“Relax, honey, I’m just giving you a hard time.” Joyce smiled, making it clear that she wasn’t really upset. Then she became serious. “Buffy, I know this is not what you wanted for tonight, and I’m sorry you feel like I went behind your back. But I want you to know that I only did it because I love you. I just want you to be happy, sweetie.”

Buffy swallowed, suddenly feeling like the most horrible person ever. “I know, Mom. I love you, too. And this is... it’s really nice. Really. Thank you.” She forced a smile. Then she glanced at Spike. “Um, I don’t know if I should be mad at you for tricking me, or apologize for not telling you about my birthday. Is it okay if I do both?” She gave him a sweet smile.

Spike let out a snort. “Oh, we’re gonna have a nice little chat when this party’s over, pet. But right now...” He ran his fingers gently down her face and leaned in as if to kiss her, smiled to himself as she closed her eyes, and then gave her a quick peck on the cheek. “Happy birthday, luv.” Holding his breath, he waited for the explosion. He just couldn’t help himself; he had to tease her a little.

He wasn’t disappointed by her reaction. Buffy’s eyes immediately snapped open and she stared at him in disbelief. “You call that a kiss? How lame was that?!” Joyce cleared her throat to remind her daughter that she was in fact still in the room. She pouted, giving her mom a pleading look.

Taking the hint, Joyce rolled her eyes and discretely slipped out of the room. Buffy smiled in triumph, turning back to Spike with an expectant look on her face. He chuckled. “You want something?”

“Yes!” She mock glared at him. “How about a proper kiss, for one thing?”

“Hm...” He pretended to give it a lot of thought. “Dunno. Should probably get back out there. Don’t wanna keep your guests waiting.”

“Spike!”

He laughed. “Right. A kiss it is, then. Think that could be arranged. Come here.” Wrapping his arms around her, he felt her letting out a pleased little sigh as she happily melted into his embrace. He brushed a strand of hair out of her face and gently caught her lips with his, kissing her with as much passion as he could muster.

Unfortunately, breathing soon became an issue and Spike reluctantly pulled back. He smiled. “Happy birthday. That better?” She just nodded, still a little out of breath, grinning happily. “Right, then. Um...” He hesitated, suddenly becoming serious. “Look, I realize this probably came as a total surprise – which, I admit, was the whole point – but you’re not really mad, are you?”

Buffy’s smile faltered a little when she noticed the worried look on his face. She sighed. “No, I’m not mad at you. I’m not really mad at my mom, either. I just...” Now it was her turn to hesitate. “I’m kinda sensitive when it comes to my birthday, okay? I know it’s stupid, cause hey, everyone’s got them, right? It’s just that I haven’t exactly had the best of luck with my birthdays in the past.”

Spike nodded in understanding. “Your mum told me. I’m sorry, luv.”

“Don’t be, it’s no big deal.” Buffy waved her hand in dismissal. “Told you it was stupid.” He opened his mouth to object, but she firmly shook her head, suddenly feeling like a total bitch for whining about something as trivial as a couple of ruined birthdays. At least she had – unlike Spike – been lucky enough to grow up with two loving parents who actually gave a damn whether it was her birthday or not. Well, one parent, anyway, at least the last couple of years.

“S’not stupid, pet.” Spike took her hand and pulled her back into his arms, resting his forehead against hers. “Your mum’s right, though. Could be different this year.”

“Mm.” Buffy wrapped her arms around his waist. “Think it already is.” They stayed like that for a moment, then she pulled back a little and their eyes met. She could just lose herself in his eyes.

“So...” Spike slid his arm casually around her shoulders. “Feel like going back to your mates?”


TBC