Author's Chapter Notes:
I started writing this chapter immediately after I finished the last one, however, it took me a couple of days to finish. Hope you'll like it. :)
”Gotta hand it to you, B.” Faith nonchalantly leaned back against the wall, a half empty bottle of beer in her hand. She looked somewhat amused. “Didn’t see this coming. Some people are just full of surprises.”

Frowning, Buffy gave the dark-haired girl a confused look as she took a sip from her diet coke. “What do you mean?”

Faith shrugged as she watched her cousin, a little curiously. “Just saying. Here I thought you still had a thing for Angel, and it turns out you’ve hooked up with Spike of all people. Have to admit, I never pictured you falling for the whole ‘bad boy’ routine. What, you figured blondie over there could teach you a thing or two so Angel would take you back?”

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest, not pleased with the turn the conversation had taken. “Okay, what the hell are you talking about?”

The other girl went on with a smirk, ignoring Buffy’s question; “’Cause in that case, I’m afraid you’re too late. That train has already left the station, if you know what I mean.” She raised a brow, looking quite pleased with herself.

Staring at Faith in bewilderment, Buffy’s eyes widened as realization finally hit her. “You mean...? You and Angel?!”

“That’s right.” Faith chuckled at Buffy’s shocked expression. “Don’t look so surprised. After all, Angel’s a man – he wants a woman who knows what she’s doing.” Clearly misreading the look on Buffy’s face, she explained; “Yeah, he told me all about your little snog fest outside The Bronze that night. Said you were all over him. Seriously, B, didn’t think you had it in you. I’m afraid he wasn’t too impressed, though.” She tsked and shook her head in mock sympathy.

Buffy glared at her, suddenly remembering why she violently disliked Faith from time to time. Sure, she could be fun to hang with sometimes, but it all came down to the simple fact that she could be a right bitch. However, Buffy suspected that half of the times, Faith wasn’t even aware of it. It was just the way she was; she wasn’t deliberately trying to be cruel. Still, her thoughtlessness often made Buffy furious, and right now was no exception. “I don’t know what Angel told you, but that’s a lie. I never...”

“Whatever...” Faith interrupted her, waving her hand in dismissal. “Just thought I’d let you know you’ve lost your chance there, is all. Then again, you’ve managed to catch a hottie of your own. Have to tell you, though, if I ever get tired of Angel, I wouldn’t mind giving Spike a go. I bet he could just make it hurt in all the right places...” She licked her lips as her eyes wandered over Spike, standing at the other side of the room and talking to Xander.

The way Faith was talking about Spike – not to mention the look in her eyes when she had the nerve to stand there and drool over her boyfriend – made Buffy see red and she clenched her fists in fury. “You stay the hell away from Spike, or else...!”

“Whoa!” Faith laughed, raising her hands in surrender. “Relax, B, I’m just kidding. Really.” Buffy opened her mouth, but she went on; “Have to admit, though, I’m actually kinda impressed. What’s your secret? I mean, I can’t remember ever seeing Spike out with a girl before. For a while there, I almost thought he was gay. Man, that would be a tragic waste! I mean, with a body like that...” She stopped herself, giving Buffy an apologetic shrug. “Sorry.”

Buffy was fuming. “Just shut up! You don’t know him.”

“Unfortunately no, but you obviously do.” Faith let out a chuckle. “What’s the matter, B? You jealous of me and Angel, is that it?”

That was so ridiculous, Buffy would have burst out laughing had she not been so pissed off. “Oh my God, you’ve got to be kidding me!”

“Then what’s your problem?” Faith looked genuinely confused.

Taking a deep breath, Buffy silently counted to ten before hissing between gritted teeth; “Faith, you’re so out of line, it’s not even funny. I’m not jealous, all right? Angel’s a bastard and I wouldn’t cry if he got wiped off the face of the earth. Did you know he tried to rape me that night? I bet he didn’t tell you that!” She stopped abruptly, having not meant to blurt that out.

Faith just stared at her for a moment, her eyes narrowing. “You’re lying.”

“Believe me, I wish I was.” Buffy grimaced. “Look...”

“No, I don’t wanna hear it!” Faith shook her head. “Just stop it, it’s pathetic. You’re just mad ‘cause Angel dumped you.”

“Yeah, okay.” Buffy snorted in disgust. “Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. But Faith?” The other girl gave her a wary look. “The land of denial might be a nice place for a while, but sooner or later, you’re gonna have to step out into the real world.” With that she walked away, leaving Faith to look after her, suddenly not knowing what to think.


*~*~*


“Hey.”

Spike looked up, nodding in greeting as Xander came up to stand next to him. He was still not feeling completely comfortable around the guy, although he had to admit, Xander had actually made an effort of being nothing but polite tonight. He supposed he owed it to Buffy to do the same. “Hey. There’s beer in the fridge if you want.”

“Really?” Xander’s eyes widened and he looked interested. “How did you get Joyce to agree to that?”

Shrugging, Spike took a sip from his bottle. “Made me promise to make sure things won’t get out of hand, which I fully intend to do.” He paused. “That, and keep an eye on Buffy and report back to Joyce if she so much as sniffs – let alone opens – more than one bottle.”

“Got it.” Xander laughed. “Man, responsibility sucks.”

“That it does,” Spike agreed. For a moment, they both stood there in silence. Glancing at Buffy’s friend, Spike got the feeling that Xander had more he wanted to get off his chest. He was just about to say something about it when he happened to raise his head and look across the room, and rolled his eyes at the sight that met him. “Oh, bollocks!”

“What?” Xander’s eyes followed Spike’s, curiously.

Spike grimaced. “Buffy’s cousin keeps staring at me, been doing it all night. Bloody annoying.”

“Who, Faith?” Xander immediately spotted the dark-haired girl across the room. “Right. She’s, um...” He hesitated, searching for the right word. “She’s a man eater. Fucks anything with a dick.” A pause. “A wild, savage beast, who knows exactly how to make a man...” Seeing how Spike’s brow went up, he stopped abruptly, clearing his throat. “Anyway, that’s what I’ve heard.” He suddenly seemed to find something very interesting on the floor, next to his feet.

“Right.” Spike shook his head, deciding that he didn’t really want to know.

“So...” Xander let out a nervous laugh, clearly wanting to change the subject. “She looks happy tonight. Buffy, I mean. At first I thought she might freak, though. Don’t know how much she’s told you, but she has a bad history when it comes to birthdays.”

“Yeah, heard ‘bout it.” Spike nodded, taking another swig from his bottle.

Xander was quiet for a moment. “Don’t let this get to your head, but I really think you’re good for Buffy. Refused to see it at first, but when she came to see me and Will the other day... Well, she seemed different, somehow. Happier. It was nice, you know? Seeing her like that.”

Spike raised a brow. “Right. Who are you and what did you do to the whelp?”

Looking a little embarrassed, Xander chuckled. “”Yeah, well, I’ve kinda met someone. You know what they say; love changes a person. In my case, I’d like to think for the better.”

“That right?” Spike gave him a curious look. “Who’s the lucky lady?”

Xander got a strange expression on his face, like he wasn’t sure how to respond to that. Then he shrugged, as if to say ‘hell with it’. “You already know who it is. Remember when we met at that diner a few weeks ago?” He looked away then, having the decency to look ashamed. “Buffy pretty much told me to go to hell, and I can’t really say I blame her. I, uh, kinda acted like a jerk at the time.”

“No kidding?” Spike let out a snort, then frowned. “Sorry, mate, not sure I’m following.”

“Remember the guy I was with? His name’s Jesse.” Xander looked up, meeting Spike’s eyes.

“I thought you said... oh!” Spike’s eyes widened comically, understanding dawning on him. “Oh,” he repeated, not sure what else to say. “Um, congratulations?”

“Thanks.” Xander looked a little relieved.

Spike suddenly felt like his head was spinning. “Um, no offense, but how come you’re telling me this?”

“Honestly?” Xander shrugged, a sheepish look on his face. “I have absolutely no idea.”

“Right, then...” Spike eyed him, somewhat warily, then cleared his throat. “How ‘bout that beer?”

Xander nodded, eagerly. “I’d say, that’s the best idea I’ve heard all night.”


TBC