Author's Chapter Notes:
I never thought it would be so difficult to wrap this story up. I fear that it's simply impossible and the story will just go on and on and on for ever. *lol*
”So…” Xander cleared his throat, quickly finishing his beer with a grimace. “Was kinda wondering, you know, the other day, when...” He put the empty bottle down on the kitchen table. “That man, who... was he, um...?”

Forcing back a sigh, Spike got up and headed for the fridge, opened the door and pulled out two new bottles. Placing one of them at the table in front of Xander, he remained standing, warily leaning back against the kitchen counter. “What?” He had a sinking feeling he already knew where Xander was going with this.

Xander was fidgeting nervously on the chair, clearly not entirely comfortable. “Buffy said he was your step father. Is it true?”

Opening the bottle he was holding, Spike downed half of the contents in one large swig. “Yeah. So?”

“Nothing, I just...” Xander hesitated a little. “Look, when I was growing up, my parents were fighting all the time. Still do, I guess. I try to avoid them as much as I can, these days.” He kept his eyes on his beer, a thoughtful expression on his face.

Spike frowned. “Your point being...?”

“My point is, I know what it’s like to grow up in a house where you feel unwanted most of the time.” Xander hurried on, not missing the alarmed look on Spike’s face; “Not saying our situations are similar in any way, ‘cause I really don’t know you that well. I’m just saying...” He hesitated again. “...if you ever wanna, you know, talk or something...”

Raising a brow, Spike resisted the urge to let out a bitter laugh. “What, you wanna be my shrink now?”

Xander looked a little hurt. “That’s not... Never mind. Just forget it.”

Spike didn’t respond at first. Instead he focused on his beer, ignoring the uncertain look Xander cast in his direction. Then he put the bottle down, glancing at the fridge as he considered getting another one. However, he reluctantly dismissed the thought, knowing that Buffy wouldn’t appreciate him getting sloshed at her birthday party. He rolled his eyes as he finally looked at Xander again, hating the fact that he actually felt bad for mocking him. “They ever hit you?”

“What?” Xander looked up, startled.

“Your folks.” Spike gave him a patient look.

“No!” Xander quickly shook his head, firmly. “They just yelled a lot, you know? Mostly wanted me to stay out of their way. So, I did.” He shrugged.

“Right.” Spike wasn’t sure how to respond to that. A part of him still had a hard time to take in the fact that he and Xander were able to have a civil conversation. Also, he found himself actually starting to like the guy, which was even more disturbing. He shook his head, as if to clear it. What he wouldn’t do for a smoke right now!

“Well, there was just this one time...” Xander went on, oblivious to Spike’s pondering. “My dad kinda grabbed me and pushed me into the wall. But I don’t think he really meant it. I mean, he felt really bad about it afterwards, he even apologized and everything.” He looked down at his beer, frowning when he noticed it was empty. “Huh. Look at that. Got any more?”

Spike hesitated, knowing that Xander had probably had more than enough already, considering the fact that he was rambling about stuff that he would most likely come to regret in the morning. Then again, the more selfish part of him wanted to hear more. Never in his wildest dreams had he ever imagined that he and the whelp would actually have something in common. His mind made up, he nodded. “Yeah, sure.”


*~*~*


“Something wrong, Buffy?” Willow tried to keep the concern out of her voice, well aware of the absent look on her friend’s face.

“What? No. Of course not.” Buffy smiled, although it came out a bit strained. “I was just...” Her voice trailed off as she saw Faith saying something to her mother before glancing in her direction and then slip into the kitchen. Looking around the room, she immediately noticed that Spike was nowhere to be seen. “Hey, Will, you didn’t happen to see where Spike went, did you?”

“Yeah, he and Xander went into the kitchen a while ago.” The redhead shook her head in amusement. “Poor guys. I think they’d had enough of the girl-talk. Your mom suggesting we’d put on Grease and have a sing-a-long was probably the last straw.” She giggled.

Rolling her eyes, Buffy let out a snort. “Should probably tell my mom to cut down on the sugar. She’s becoming downright scary.” Then she became serious. “Okay, maybe I’m overreacting, but Faith has had her skanky, ho-bag eyes set on Spike all night. I mean, not that I’m worried or anything, but...”

“And you shouldn’t be.” Willow put her hand on Buffy’s arm. “Buffy, anyone who has eyes can see that Spike’s totally in love with you.”

Buffy’s face softened a little. “I guess so.” Of course, deep down, she knew that Willow was right and she didn’t doubt Spike’s feelings for her for a second. Still, she couldn’t deny that it felt good to hear it from someone else as well. She trusted Spike completely. Faith, on the other hand – not so much. Her eyes narrowed. That bitch...

“Besides, as her cousin and the hostess of this party, you’ll have to play it cool,” Willow went on, then smiled like something had just occurred to her. “I, on the other hand, am fully entitled to hate her for you. If you want, I can stalk her around the house and glare at her.”

Staring at her best friend in disbelief, Buffy then burst out laughing. “Thanks, Will, but I don’t think that’ll be necessary.”

“Whatever you say.” Willow shrugged. “Just remember that the offer still stands.”

“I’ll remember.” Buffy once again glanced towards the kitchen, then shook her head as she firmly told herself to push her ridiculous jealousy to the back of her mind and try to enjoy the rest of her birthday party.


*~*~*


“What do you think they’re talking about in there?” Gulping down what was left in his forth bottle, Xander nodded towards the living room. “Hey, let’s eavesdrop!” He jumped up from the chair.

Spike rolled his eyes. “Not like they banned us or anything. You can just go in there.”

“Yeah, but...” Xander got a goofy grin on his face. “Where’s the fun in that?” He was slurring a little, and swayed dangerously when he headed towards the closed door.

Shrugging, Spike made himself busy clearing off the table, carrying all the empty beer bottles over to the sink. He had to chuckle as he saw Xander put his ear to the door, clearly intending to listen in on the conversation on the other side. Not that he would ever admit it, should anyone ask, but he was actually having a good time. Xander wasn’t half bad, and it was kinda nice to have another bloke around to talk to. Male bonding, and all that rot – something he hadn’t even known he had been missing.

Now he raised a brow. “Are you...?”

“Sshh!” Xander waved his hand in the air. “I’m trying to... Ow!” He stumbled back as the door suddenly swung open and hit him straight in the face. Blinking in confusion, he stared at the person who had just entered the kitchen. “Faith?”

The dark-haired girl ignored him and walked past him into the room. Spike looked at Xander, his face a mixture of amusement and concern. “You all right, mate?”

Xander nodded with a grimace, rubbing his cheek. “Yeah, I’m fine.” Then he turned to Faith. “What are you doing here?” he slurred.

Faith shrugged, a smile playing on her lips. “Figured I’d check where you guys had ran off to.” Although her words were directed at both of them, she kept her eyes on Spike. “Tell me, what does a girl have to do to get a drink around here?”

Spike gestured towards the fridge. “There’s beer in there. Help yourself.” He grabbed a dishcloth and started wiping the table.

Looking a little taken aback, Faith nodded and headed for the fridge. Then she stopped, like she had just remembered something. “You know, I talked to Joyce and she said she won’t mind us moving the party over to The Bronze. What do you say?” Again, she was looking directly at Spike.

Looking up from the table, Spike glanced at Xander before turning back to Faith. “What about Buffy?”

Clearly misreading his question, Faith just waved her hand in dismissal. “Oh, she can come, too.”

Rolling his eyes, Spike gave her a patient look. “I meant, what did she have to say about your idea?”

“Oh.” Faith looked surprised for a moment. “I’m sure she’s up to it.”

“Right.” Spike shook his head. “Think I’m gonna have to pass on that. But you feel free to leave any time.”

Faith’s eyes darkened for a moment, however, she quickly covered up and gave him a flirtatious smile. “Come on, blondie. You know you want to. I mean, seriously.” She snorted. “What does Buffy have, that I...”

“He said he didn’t wanna go, Faith. Now leave him alone!” Xander walked up to Faith, stumbled on his feet but managed to remain standing, and looked her straight in the eyes, doing his best to look intimidating.

Sadly, his heroic act didn’t have the effect he had been hoping for, as Faith burst out laughing. “That suppose to scare me? You’re nothing but a pathetic little boy, Xander Harris. You were a lousy fuck-buddy, by the way, but you already knew that. I mean, the chicks aren’t exactly standing in line, are they?” Seeing how Xander lowered his eyes in shame, she got a smug look on her face.

“Oh bloody hell... Hey, that’s enough!” Spike tossed the dishcloth in the sink and glared at Faith, but remained where he was. The fact that the annoying bint was related to Buffy was the only thing that kept him from grabbing her and throwing her out the door. As if she had been able to read his mind, Faith’s smile widened. Xander gave him an apologetic look, mumbled an excuse and hurriedly slipped through the door back into the living room. Spike closed his eyes for a moment, holding back a sigh.

“Well, well... How ‘bout that?” Faith was grinning, widely. “Alone at last...”


TBC


Chapter End Notes:
What? We all knew it would come to this? Right? ;)