Author's Chapter Notes:
I realize some of you found last chapter kinda upsetting. That's fine. It was really interesting to see the reactions. Here you go - another chapter. Hope you'll enjoy!
”No way. I don’t believe you.” Buffy shook her head firmly, giving Faith a warning look. “Tell me what really happened.”

“I just did!” Faith avoided Buffy’s eyes as she stubbornly repeated her words. “Your precious boyfriend tried to kiss me, and...”

“No, he didn’t.” Seeing how Joyce opened her mouth to say something, Buffy went on before her mother got the chance; “I’m asking you one more time, Faith. What? Happened?”

Faith’s eyes widened in an attempt of looking innocent. “Don’t know what you’re talking about, B. It’s not my fault that guys find me so damn irresistible.” She smirked.

Buffy stared at her in disbelief, then let out a snort of exasperation. “Yeah, right... You wish! Like anyone in their right mind would find a ho-bag like you irresistible.”

“Buffy!” Joyce’s face was a mixture of shock and disapproval. “I realize what Faith is saying is hard for you to accept, but...”

“But she’s lying, Mom!” Buffy glared at her mother. “Spike would never in a million years do anything like that. She’s the one who’s been oogling him all night! So, unless she forced herself on him, there’s no way in hell...” She stopped abruptly and froze dead in her tracks as realization was starting to dawn on her. Blind fury welled up inside her as she turned back to Faith. “You didn’t! Oh God! You lying, selfish bitch!”

Faith’s smile disappeared and she quickly jumped back as Buffy started towards her, attempting to throw herself at her. “Whoa, B, chill! Fine, I tried to kiss him. Big deal. He hit me!” She brought her hand up to her swollen nose, grimacing.

“Good!” Buffy glared daggers at her cousin. “I can’t believe you did that, you – you slut!”

“Buffy, that’s enough!” Joyce spoke up, her expression turning dead serious. “I don’t care what Faith did; he had no right to hit her. That’s just inexcusable. I don’t want you to keep seeing Spike, do you hear me? He’s clearly unstable. Any man who is capable of hitting a girl... I mean, who knows what else...”

“Shut up, Mom!” Buffy forced back a sob, but was unable to keep the tears from streaming down her face. “You don’t know him. You have no idea what he’s been through.” She swallowed. “You can’t stop me from being with Spike.”

“What do you mean, ‘been through’?!” Joyce was obviously trying to calm down, but not quite succeeding. “I don’t see what could possibly excuse such a violent behavior. What could be worse than a man capable of abusing a woman physically?”

Buffy furiously wiped her eyes. “I don’t know.” The words were out of her mouth before she could stop them. “How about a man capable of abusing a little boy, sexually?” Her eyes widened as she realized what she had just blurted out.

“What do you...?” Joyce’s voice trailed off and she became silent. Her expression changed, and suddenly she looked confused. “Buffy, what are you saying? I don’t understand.”

Buffy opened her mouth, then suddenly remembered that Faith was still in the room. She turned to the dark-haired girl, a cold look on her face. “Get out.”

“All right, just wait a minute...” Faith looked at her with wide eyes, her mind obviously starting to take in just what Buffy’s words were indicating. “Look, I didn’t mean to...” She hesitated. “It was just a...”

“Just a game, right?” Buffy finished the sentence, shaking her head in disgust. “Everything’s a game to you, isn’t it, Faith? You see something you want but can’t have, so you just have to take it, no matter how many people you hurt in the process. Well, this time you’ve gone too far.”

She grabbed the other girl by the arm and shoved her towards the door. “I said, get out. The party’s over.” Faith opened her mouth to object, then – wisely enough – decided against it. Realizing that Buffy was indeed serious, she just nodded and slipped out through the door.

Joyce was quiet for a moment, silently watching as her daughter closed the door with a grim expression on her face. Finally she spoke, a worried note in her voice; “Buffy, why did you say that? I mean, sexual abuse is absolutely horrible, of course, but what does that have to do with Spike?”

Wishing she could just take those dreadful words back, Buffy lowered her eyes in shame. Of course, it was too late for that. “Never mind. Just forget it.” She swallowed, hard. “I gotta go.”

“What?” Joyce shook her head, firmly. “You’re not going anywhere, young lady. I want an explanation.”

“Mom, please...” She gave her mother a pleading look. “It’s my birthday. You promised this year would be different.” Joyce opened her mouth, but Buffy went on; “If you really meant that, then you’ll let me go see Spike.”

The older woman sighed. “Buffy, I don’t think...”

Buffy interrupted her. “Did you even give him a chance to explain what really happened?” She was quite certain she already knew the answer to that, but felt the need to ask, anyway.

Joyce looked a little guilty for a moment, her face softening. “Does it really matter? Buffy, I know you love Spike, but...”

“Yeah, I do.” Buffy let out a sigh. “Look, Mom, I’m sorry, but I don’t have time for this. I need to find Spike, make sure he’s okay.”

“Why wouldn’t he be...?” Joyce stopped, an uncertain look on her face. Suddenly she got the sinking feeling that her daughter wasn’t just referring to tonight’s events, and for a moment, she couldn’t help but wonder if maybe she had been jumping to conclusions when she had told Spike to leave. Was it possible that she had been misreading the situation somehow? As far as she was concerned, any kind of violence was simply unacceptable, but still, she was starting to suspect there might be more behind Spike’s unpredictable behavior than she first realized.

Maybe Faith wasn’t the only victim here after all. Suddenly Joyce was hit by the realization that Buffy hadn’t seemed to be very shocked when being told about what Spike had done, like a sudden fit of rage was no real surprise to her when her boyfriend was involved. Instead she had lashed out at Faith, but not as much out of jealousy – like Joyce had first thought – as of horror. For a moment, she didn’t know what to think.

Finally she nodded, not sure if she was really making the right decision, but not thinking she had much of a choice. “All right. Go. But we will talk about this when you get back.”

The relief on Buffy’s face spoke volumes. “I promise. Thanks, Mom.” She gave her mother a quick hug, and a moment later, she was gone.


*~*~*


“Where’s Buffy?” Willow sat up straight on the couch as Joyce entered the room. “Is something wrong?”

“Buffy had to...” Joyce was interrupted by a loud hiccup, coming from Xander who was half lying on the couch next to Willow, looking drowsy. She frowned. “Xander, are you drunk?”

Eyes widening in alarm, Xander shook his head and waved his hand in dismissal. “Nah, I’m fine.” Another hiccup, followed by a quite unmanly giggle. He gave her a sheepish grin. “Maybe juscht a little...” Frowning, he corrected himself; “Just a little.” A pause. “Or a lot.”

“I can see that.” Joyce sighed, shaking her head. “All right, listen. Buffy and Spike had to leave for a while...” Raising a hand to keep anyone from interrupting, she hurried on; “I’m not sure what’s going on, but I’m certain everything is just fine.”

“Whatabout Faith?” Xander asked, slurring on the words.

Joyce hesitated for a moment. “Faith left as well.” She paused. “She won’t be coming back.”

“Well, isn’t that a pity?” Xander let out a snort. “Schtupid bitch!” Seeing the look on Joyce’s face, he quickly apologized. “Sorry.”

Hank took a step forward and turned to Joyce, looking quite annoyed. “Buffy had to leave? What’s that supposed to mean? It’s her birthday. We are all here to celebrate her, and she just decided to take off with her boyfriend? Really, Joyce, have you no control of your daughter?”

Losing the last of her temper, Joyce glared at her husband. “Oh, she’s just my daughter now? That’s it, Hank, I’ve had enough. You don’t wanna be here? Fine! You’re welcome to leave. Don’t let the door hit you in the...!”

“Okay!” Willow jumped up from the couch. “I think it’s time for us to leave, too.” Tugging on Xander’s arm, she managed to pull him up on his feet.

Xander groaned in protest. “Don’t wanna leave. Couch comfy.” He yawned. “And we didn’t get to give Buffy her present. She’ll be pissed!” A drunken giggle escaped him. “Hey, did you know ‘pissed’ means ‘drunk’ in British? I didn’t. Spike told me.” He burst out laughing. “Hey, I’m pissed! And Buffy’ll be pissed. We’re all pissed!”

“You got that right.” Willow glared at him in disapproval. “Xander, I can’t believe you got drunk at Buffy’s birthday party! What were you thinking? Did you even think at all?” She started towards the door, not bothering to check if he would follow.

“Hey, wait up!” Xander hurried after her. “Buffy’s not here. She won’t have to find out...” The two friends left the house, still arguing.

Joyce closed her eyes, feeling an upcoming headache. She realized that Buffy had been right all along. If only she had listened. Next year, there would be no celebrating, that was for sure. Sighing deeply, she headed back to the kitchen to pour herself a drink.


TBC