Chapter 14

Buffy awoke with a moan. A headache pounded through her skull. She closed her eyes for a moment before opening them again. She was in some abandoned house. Not the one Spike and she lost control, she noted, but one she had never been in.

Her wrists were tied to the stairs with rope. She was pretty sure that she could break free. Struggling with the binding, resulted in no success. Did the rope have a spell on it? No. She was just too weak, she could feel it. All her slayer strength was gone.

A sound of frustration escaped her throat. Being helpless was definitely not one of her favorite things. Memories of her last encounter without strength passed through her mind. She hadn’t even been able to open a jar on her own thanks to the council. But she had been able to save her mother and vanquish the bad-ass vamp. And she would be able to escape this situation as well. All she needed were her wits . . . and a miracle.

Hysterical laughter filled her ears. Oh no, I know that sound, she thought. Not this. Please I don’t want this.

Out of the shadows, stepped Drusilla in a long white gown. She looked healthier than she ever had: not so pale and thin. As she came nearer, she started to clap. “The naughty slayer has awoken from her long slumber,” she sang.

“What did you do to me!?” Buffy spat. She wriggled with the rope again. It dug into her skin as she did so.

“My enchanted arrow made the slayer go night-night, while sucking her spinach away.”

“What do you want from me, Drusilla? Did you come to get your boy-toy back?”

There was a hint of sadness that hit Drusilla’s expression. “I fear my William is too far down the rabbit hole. He’s lost to me.”
So she had given up on Spike. Then what was she after? Was it just to kill her? Buffy almost laughed. If only she knew that nothing could do that anymore.

“The stars whispered in my ears that the slayer had returned. I danced among them while they told me you were one of them.” Dru spun around with her arms outstretched. “Sparkling forever and ever.”

Did she know that I’m immortal? Buffy worried. Then what was she wanting to accomplish?

When Drusilla didn‘t stop dancing, Buffy rolled her eyes. “Okay, you better hurry it up with whatever you’re wanting to do. You know, Spike is going to come looking for me, don’t you?”

The vampiress stopped her spinning. Her dark eyes shifted to focus on Buffy. “They sang the most loveliest song to me. If I kill my childe there will be no more nasty slayers in my way. The fires will burn them to ashes.”

Buffy wished she understood Drusilla language more. Then it hit her. Childe. She was going to kill Spike?

Drusilla came up and touched Buffy’s cheek. The vampire’s nails brushed across her skin. Buffy turned her head in disgust. The nails traveled down to her neck.

“The blood will mix and the wood will penetrate. The slayer will be no more. She will go to the flames beneath.”

Buffy’s eyes widened. Mixing blood. Wood. Oh God! Drusilla was going to turn her into a vampire and then stake her. She was going to be the childe she had spoken of.

Flames beneath. Buffy unwillingly whimpered. She didn’t want a trip to hell. Staying here on earth for an eternity had to be better than that.

|} - - -> <- - - {|

Spike blinked a couple times, trying to figure out if he was imagining the girl in front of him. “Nibblet?”

She smiled. “Hello, Spike.”

The Dawn in front of him wasn’t the woman who had gone through chemo-therapy, this was his ‘lil bit’. The fifteen year-old who snuck out of the house to go meet boys. Who spent hours talking on the phone, gossiping. Who went through her stealing phase to get attention. This was Buffy’s little sis. The one that gave the slayer so much trouble, but loved so much. The reason Buffy jumped off the tower, surrendering her life.

Spike reached a hesitant hand out to touch her. Her long brown hair felt silky and soft. He stroked it, lovingly. Tears sprung to his eyes, and he didn’t care. “Are you real?” he whispered.

She nodded her head. “Yeah, Spike, I’m real. I’m the key, and a tad bit more, but I’m also a fifteen-year old girl.”

He took her solid shoulders, and pulled her to him. They hugged, tenderly.

“I missed you so much,” Spike confessed.

“Me too,” she replied.

“How did this happen. I don’t understand. “

He was so lucky to have both his girls back. And he feared that something would happen to take them away again. He didn’t deserve this. He was a vampire, a demon. This happiness couldn’t possibly last forever. His hold on Dawn tightened, afraid she would disappear before his eyes.

“That is kind of a long story, which I’ll be happy to tell later. Right now, all you need to know is I’ve come to help you. And right now, you need my aid in finding Buffy,” Dawn explained.

“Buffy.” That’s right, he needed to find Buffy.

Dawn grabbed is hand. She tugged him out into the hall. “We don’t have time. She’s in trouble. Follow me.”
“How do you know where she is?” he asked. “And what happened to her?” Worry filled his chest. Images of her being ripped to shreds by the dino demon went through his mind. Please, no, nothing like that again, he prayed.

“Just trust me. I can’t explain things right now. As for Buffy . . . Drusilla has her.”

His eyes widened. “Dru?” He thought Drusilla was long gone, never to be seen again. “Buffy can handle her.”

Dawn quickened the pace. “Not without her slayer ability.”

“Her strength is gone!?”

“Yeah. And her inner power hasn’t awakened yet, so she’s pretty much a regular human right now.”

There was something about Dawn that was different. She had this aura of wisdom and understanding. Like she knew a whole lot more than he did. He didn’t like it. In the past, he had always been the one to teach her things.

“Inner power. What the bloody hell are you talkin about?”

She gave a great sigh. “Stop asking so many questions. We don’t have time. My sister’s in trouble, and we need to save her.”

“All right, all right. Lead the way, I’ll shut my trap.”

___________________________________________________

I’m going to write more today, but I thought I would send this out now.