Chapter 17

Los Angelus- The Hyperion Hotel

Cordelia felt the body beside her shift. She instantly turned toward him. “Angel?”

The vampire jolted. His eyes went huge, and he cowered away from her.

She reached out to him. “Angel?” she repeated, worriedly.

Shaking his head, he shut his eyes again. “No, no,” he murmured.

“What is it?” she questioned.

“You aren’t real.”

“Of course I am.” Her warm hand touched his cheek. “Feel that? I’m here.”

He grabbed hold of her hand. Tears began to trickle down his face. “Cordy? Is it really you?”

Stroking his palm, she nodded. “Yeah.”

He struggled to sit up. He pulled her against him, wanting to make sure he wasn’t hallucinating. He breathed in the scent of her hair.

After a while, Cordelia pushed away slightly. Her expression was stern. “Now, what were you thinking? Not eating and all! I could, I could . . .”

Suddenly, without warning, Angel locked his mouth with hers. She was so surprised that a tiny squeak escaped her. At first she didn’t respond, but then she surrendered to the kiss. His tongue slipped inside her mouth and she met it with her own. They stroked and twirled in a dance. She couldn’t think the entire time, and she swore she was falling.

When it ended, she was disoriented. Her brain slowly started to work again. Anger built. “What did you do that for!?”

“What?” Angel asked, puzzled.

“You had to have had a reason and I want to know why,” she demanded. She stood up and put her hands on her hips.

“I’m sorry, I guess I made a mistake,” he whispered.

Cordelia’s face softened. “No, that’s not what I meant. I-” She sighed.

“I’ve missed you so much. When you got trapped in that fire . . . I never told you how I felt,” he confessed.

“How do you feel?”

His hopeful gaze fixed on her. “I love you.”

A smile formed on her lips. “I love you too.”

They embraced, savoring the other’s presence. They knew this must have been a miracle.

“How did this happen? Cordelia, you died,” Angel stated.

“I have no idea. Yesterday I was Jewel Witherspoon.”

|} - - -> <- - - {|

Dawn padded into the kitchen. She wore one of Buffy’s nightshirts that pictured a cute bear wearing a nightcap. She found Spike hovering over a frying pan and holding a spatula. She couldn’t hold in her giggle and it exploded into the air.

Spike turned, lifting his scarred eyebrow. “What? Never seen a vamp cook before?”

“No, and I never thought I would. Why are you cooking anyway?” She eyed the scrambled eggs in the skillet.
“Woke up and saw my girls all cozy in bed. Felt I needed ta do somethin for them. Was gonna surprise ya both with breakfast in bed. Guess ya ruined the surprise, though,” he told her. He took a plate lying on the counter and plopped the now done eggs on it. Then he accompanied it with a piece of toast.

“I’m still surprised. Thank you, Spike.”

He handed the plate to her. “There ya go, Sweet Bit. Hope it’s good.”

She hopped up on a stool at the island. She shoveled a mouthful of eggs. It wasn’t half bad actually.

Spike began to crack two more eggs for Buffy. “I’m so glad you came back to us, Dawn. Maybe a bloke really can get rewarded for doin the good fight.”

“I’m happy to be back too,” Dawn commented.

Just then the oldest Summers came in. She was already dressed and her hair was fixed in a ponytail.

“Hey, luv, you aren’t supposed to be up yet,” Spike scolded, playfully. “You never follow the rules, do you?”

She grinned. “Nope.” She went over and gave him a quick peck on the mouth. “Awww, thanks for cooking.”

“What makes you think this is for you?” he teased.

She punched him lightly in the arm. “Like you’d eat eggs,” she said with sarcasm. “If you were gonna consume something it would either be beer, hot chocolate, a blooming onion, or hot wings.”

“I like pizza,” he informed.

“Ooo, pizza, we should get one later,” Buffy chirped.

Spike chuckled. “Maybe I’ll treat my family to the three cheese special with bread sticks later tonight.”
Dawn watched the closest people to her. They seemed so cheerful right then. She felt a stab of guilt. She hadn’t told them everything. She was there for one reason and one reason only. To do her mission. Her job was to tell them about their destiny, set them on the path, and help them accomplish their goal. When it was over . . .

Her plate was clean. She pushed it away from her. She excused herself and went into the hall. The tears came in a rush. Spike said that they were a family. But she couldn’t be part of his family. Because when all of this ended, she would have to go away again.

 
__________________________________________________

Poor Dawn. Sorry this is kinda short. Do you guys still like it?