Chapter 26

Buffy sank to her knees. She dug into the grass beneath her. She couldn’t do this. She couldn’t face another ‘Angelus’. It seemed like whenever she found something to hold onto it got taken away. She stared up at the hell bitch with disgust.

“What did you do to him?” the slayer demanded.

Glory grinned with mischief. “I made him into what he really is. A demon.” Her painted nails brushed over Spike’s perfectly sculpted features. “That little spark of humanity you love . . .” She met Buffy’s eyes. “It’s gone, sweetheart. And it aint coming back.”

Buffy took in a shaky breath. Behind her, she heard someone approach.

“Spike!?” Dawn gasped.

Glancing back, Buffy warned, “Don’t come any closer, Dawn!”

Confused, Dawn took in the scene. “What is going on?” She looked at Spike, a gasp escaping her throat. “What are you doing with Glory?”

Cold blue eyes focused on Dawn. “Ello, bitty slayer. Came lookin for the big bad then, huh? I’m touched, really.” He placed a hand over his unbeating heart, mockingly.

Hurt spread over Dawn. “What is wrong with you?”

“The great Glorificus showed me the error of my ways, she did.”

“Error of . . . Huh?”

“Do I have to spell it out to you, pet? I’m evil again.”

Dawn shook her head in disbelief. Her head snapped toward her sister, who was frozen on the ground. Then her gaze came back up, this time with horror on her expression.

Glory studied the fallen slayer. Pleased she said, “I think we broke her, dear, Spikey. Come on, we have an apocalypse to start.”

Spike waved at the Summers girls. “Bye, it’s been fun.”

As they left, Dawn gave Buffy a concerned look. “You’re just going to let them go?”

Buffy picked herself up off the ground. “And what do you suggest I do!?” she shouted. She grabbed her discarded stake. “Huh!? Should I run up and embed Mr. Pointy into his heart?”

“What? Of course not!”

“Well, what do you want me to do? Cuz, I’m at a loss here.” Buffy began to cry, her lips trembling. “Oh God, tell me I don’t have to kill him? Please, Dawnie, I can’t kill another man I love.”

Dawn came forward. She took the stake out of Buffy’s hands, and gave her older sister a hug. “We’ll find another way. But we have to stop this apocalypse.”

Buffy nodded. She pulled back, wiping her eyes. “Yeah, I can‘t fall apart. Gotcha.”

Just then the pair of witches ran up.

“Buffy, Dawn! We didn’t know where you two were,” Willow said, breathlessly.

Now under control, Buffy turned to face her friend. “We’re fine, Will.” She paused. “At least, we’re not hurt, that is.”

“Good,” Willow replied.

“Buffy, we couldn’t find Spike or any signs of Glory,” Tara informed, sadly.

“Unfortunately, we did,” Buffy murmured.

By Buffy’s tone and her words, Willow knew something was up. “What is it? Is he . . .?”

“He’s not dead,” Dawn offered.

“He’s just as undead as he always has ever been,” Buffy said. “Something happened to him. He’s not himself.”

“Wh-what do you mean not himself?” asked Tara.

“Glory turned him evil. In her words, ‘took away his humanity’. He doesn’t even act like he did before the chip.” Buffy sighed.

“What are we going to do?” Willow questioned with worry.

Tiredly, Buffy said, “I dunno. I seriously don’t know.”

|} - - -> <- - - {|

Las Angelus airport

Karen Kensington stepped off the plane at the Las Angelus airport. She glanced around her, being cautious. She went and retrieved her bag. It was green and light, with not much in it but a few garments of clothing. She waited until she was outside to get out her cell phone.

“Gregory, I made it. I’ll be grabbing a bus to Sunnydale in an hour.”

|} - - -> <- - - {|

A hotel, the nearest to Sunnydale/ the dining room

(AN: I just don’t see the watchers going to a motel, and I don’t think there is a hotel in SunnyD)

A man in a brown suit sat at the head of the table. “I know that we are all full of remorse with the news of our comrades back at headquarters. But we have a job to do, and we will still do it. There is enough of us left to save the council.”
|} - - -> <- - - {|

Buffy stood in the magic box. It would be a miracle if it ever actually opened again, she thought. No time for business when the world was at stake.

She eyed the gang. Or, army, if Dawn was correct. And she was their leader. At that moment Buffy wished she could go back in time to when she was twelve, before her calling. Her mother and father were together. She lived in Las Angelus, away from the hellmouth and baddies. She had had a normal life. She sighed. Oh well, no use wanting the past. This was now, and that was what she should be worrying about.

“Okay,” Buffy announced. “We need a course of action. Anybody got any ideas?”

“Oh!” Cordy exclaimed. “We could curse him!” Eyes fell on her. “Okay, I know Buffy would like to keep him without a clause and all. It’s no picnic having a boyfriend with a curse, believe me, I know. But, if their isn’t another option. . . Or maybe not.”

“No, no. Cordelia, has a point. If we can’t find a way to save him, we could always curse him with a soul.” Last resort, Buffy added in her head. At least, I have an option other than dusting him. “Any other suggestions?”

Willow raised her hand. “A spell. To, ya know, figure out how Glory made him like this in the first place. If we know that, we might know how to undo it.”

“Yeah,” Dawn agreed.

“Thanks, Will, that’s a good idea. Ya think you could find one?” Buffy inquired.

“I think so,” Willow stated.

The bell rang on the door. Everybody turned their heads, curiously. The store had a ‘closed’ sign outside. Who was . . .?

“Is there a party going on? Why wasn’t I invited?”

“Xander!” Willow shrieked. She jumped to her feet.

“Xander!” Buffy yelled at the exact same time.

Both females rushed toward him. They rammed into him, giving him a hug, and making him go, ‘oof’. The three original scoobies embraced for what seemed like hours.

Finally, Xander muttered, “Not that I’m not flattered to have two beautiful girls fall into my arms, but I’m having a difficulty breathing here.”

They backed away slightly.

“Sorry,” Buffy apologized, a giant grin on her face.

Willow pointed to Xander, addressing the entire crowd that was collected in the store. “Look everybody, Xander!”

Dawn and Tara were smiling. Cordy seemed as if she didn’t care. Angel looked ‘grrr’, not having any fuzzy feelings for the boy. The rest of them looked on in interest, not really knowing this Xander that just burst in.

Xander studied Buffy carefully. “Wow, Buffster, like the new look.”

Suddenly, Buffy hit Xander in the chest.

Puzzled, he asked, “Huh? What was that for?”

She crossed her arms. “For making me think I would never see you again.”

“Yeah, mister,” Willow piped up. “What was up with the ‘I’m not going with you and I don’t care what happens’ routine?”

He gave her a remorseful smile. “Sorry about that, Will. I had some time to think and figured out what a jerk I was being. Forgive me?”

“Mmmmm. . . I guess so,” Willow said.

“I’m so glad you are here, Xan,” Buffy told him.

He must have seen the sadness she was trying to conceal. “Buff, what is it?”

She shrugged. “Oh, just a tad of apocalyptic fun. Glory’s back. And Spike turned evil.”

Xander blinked. “When was Spike ever good?”

____________________________________________

There you guys are, chapter 26. Hope you all enjoyed it. I know I don’t have Glory in character. To tell you the truth, I really don’t know how to write her. So, if stuff she says doesn’t fit, I’m sorry. Maybe I should have just created my own villian.

Thanks for the reviews! Have a happy Buffy day on Tuesday with Showtime. Can’t wait.