Chapter 27

“You do know that you are going to have to kill him, right?” Xander said, after being brought up to date on Spike’s condition.

Buffy remained silent, deep in thought.

“He’s a vampire, Buffy. You’re the slayer. Do your duty.”

“It’s not that easy, Xander,” Buffy commented.

“Because you’re in love with him.” He said this with distaste.

Fury spread across her face. “Yes!” she snapped. “I do love him. And you know nothing about him anymore. He’s changed. This person. . . thing he is now is not him. He’s spent the last seventy-five years helping slayers.”

“So, that makes him a saint, huh? Just cuz he’s obsessed with slayers.”

She opened her mouth, then shut it. She stood up. “I can’t deal with this right now.” With that, she stormed off into the training room.

Behind her computer, Willow gave Xander a look of disapproval.

“What!?” Xander asked, defensively.

“She doesn’t need this right now. She has the world to save again. From a hell god who once killed her.”

“Yeah, well, I don’t want another Angel running around trying to do us in.”

“I know,” Willow agreed. “But she won’t let it go that far.”

“Are you sure?”

Willow bit her lip.

|} - - -> <- - - {|

“What’s your name, ducks?” Spike questioned.

The pretty little girl in the tight leather skirt grinned seductively at him. If he was going to go for a human, which he wasn’t, this would be it. Punkish and damn right sexy.

“Max,” she breathed.

He smirked.

“Want to go somewhere a lil more private, Max?”

She hooked her arm with his. “I’d love to.”

They walked out of the dance club, the Light, out into the black night.

|} - - -> <- - - {|

“So, has he been killing?” Cordelia asked, worriedly.

Willow glanced up from her labtop screen. “There aren’t any reporting of bite mark victims.”

“Oh, good,” Cordy said with optimism. “Maybe he won’t go after us after all.”

“There are, however, a handful of people missing,” Willow informed.

“Oh, darn. At least I didn’t invite him into my car.” She paused. “Wait, we’re staying at a motel. Does that count with the ‘inviting in’? It’s not really a house.”

Just then, Angel walked in catching their conversation. “Actually it does. We’ve been sleeping there for days now. Technically we are living there, even if it is temporarily. ”

Cordy let out a sigh of relief. “Well, that’s comforting.”

“I know my grandchilde,” Angel said. “And if he is going to go after someone it won’t be you.”

Cordy frowned. “What is that supposed to mean? Aren’t I tasty enough?”

Uncomfortable, he said, “That’s not what . . .”

“He meant Spike would be after me. He has no reason to go after you,” Buffy spoke up, coming into the room. She was drenched in sweat from a workout. In her hand was a bottle of water.

Angel turned toward his ex-girlfriend. “Buffy.”

Buffy met his eyes. “You said you knew him, but you don’t. We don’t know what this ‘Spike’ will do. Look, I have a connection with him and I felt it. Whatever Glory did to him screwed him up good. I don’t even know if our Spike is even in there anymore.” The last part she said with remorse.

“Buffy?” She raised her head to acknowledge Angel. “I don’t like Spike much. But I can see that he means a great deal to you. So, we’ll get him back for you.”

“Yeah,” she whispered. But her eyes were empty and her tone was hollow.

|} - - -> <- - - {|

Dawn knocked on the apartment door. After a moment, Willow opened it. She smiled out at the teen, warmly.

“Dawnie, what can I do for you?”

Dawn snuck a glance inside. Boxes were set on the ground. “Unpacking?”

Willow cracked the door wider for Dawn to enter. “Yeah. It’s kinda fun. You get a reminder of everything you own.”

A giggle escaped Dawn. She plopped down on the blue couch. “I’m so glad you decided to move here permanently,” she said.

Beaming, Willow replied, “Me too. Now that I’ve got my friends back I couldn’t stand being apart. I’m thinking of going to college here too.“

“That’s great!”

“Mom says she’s happy that I’ve found a place for myself.”

Dawn crossed her legs, sitting Indian style on the cushion. “Is it weird? Having different parents, I mean?”

Willow thought about that for awhile. Finally she said, “Sort of. But I was never close to my other mother and father. Mine now are so much better.”

Sadness and longing came on Dawn’s face. “I miss my family.”

“I miss Joyce too sometimes, Dawn,” Willow told her.

Dawn shook her head. “That’s not what I mean. Sure, I miss Mom. I’ll never stop missing her. I’m talking about my husband and daughter. The powers put me in this body without thinking about what it would do to me. They could have at least took away my memories of them. It‘s too painful.”

Stricken, Willow stopped taking books out of a box. “Rebecca,” she muttered.

Tears accumulated in Dawn’s eyes. “Yeah.”

Willow moved to sit next to the teen. No, not a teen. A woman, despite her appearance. She put an arm around her.

“Have you thought of contacting her?”

“I can’t,” Dawn said. “Not with all this going on.”

“Afterward then. You can call her and get together,” Willow announced.

Dawn nodded. But I won’t have the chance, she thought. When this is over, I’ll be gone. She fought to stifle the sobs that wanted to rip out of her chest.

|} - - -> <- - - {|
Kantu late masu pe (From the night I call upon thee)
Reptu yake su na le (To make thyself as I will it)
Cerx menti lemni (Bend flesh to bone)
Hant hant (I wish, I wish)
Yu men ren (So it shall be)

Inside the circle of chanting vampires, Glory doubled over. Pain shot through her veins and she cried out. She changed form to Damien and then back again. This went on and on. Finally it stopped, Glory collapsing to the floor.

After a few moments, she picked herself up. She examined her arms, then looked down at her designer outfit. She smiled.

“Well, I guess that worked. No pesky Damien to tell me when and when not I can be around.” She turned to Spike. “Thank you.”

He on his cigarette. “What, me? Didn’t do the spell, luv.”

She gestured to the vampires around her. “No. You got me my army.”

He smirked. “That I did.”

_______________________________________________

Whew, I’m on a roll here! I’ve gotten the last 3 parts out pretty quick wouldn’t you say?

Oh, hope you liked the angsty Dawn part. I know you probably feel sorry for her, I do and I’m the one writing it. Remember, I said there would be a happy ending. : )