Chapter 33

Buffy slapped him. “Are you happy now? You get your miracle.”

Spike looked at her as if she had lost her mind. “I wasn’t’ after a sodding miracle, woman.”

She slipped her hand under his t-shirt. She pressed her palm onto his bare chest. His flesh was cold and still. She found that she was only a tad disappointed. All she really cared about was that he wasn’t catching on fire.

Spike raised an eyebrow. “In the mood, luv?”

She removed her hand. “Oh, please! I was checking to see if you were human.”

“Well, I coulda told you that.” He sat up on his elbows. “All quiet and such inside. Which is the way I like it. Not sure what I’d do bein mortal.”

“Then what is going on?”

“Don’t know. It’s an awfully strange experience, I’ll have you know. I haven’t seen the sun in . . . well, ever since the Amara session.” He lifted a hand and moved it around in the sunshine.

“Do you think it has anything to do with my light bearing energy? Maybe I made you some kind of super vamp,” Buffy suggested. “You know, invulnerable?”

“Maybe.”

They were silent for a span. Spike broke it by pulling her down to him. He smashed his lips to hers with passion. A moan escaped Buffy. She wrapped her arms around him, savoring the contact.

When they separated it took a moment for Buffy to recover. “Wow! What was that for?”

He twirled a lock of her golden hair. “Noticed how beautiful you were during the day. Couldn’t resist touching my angel.”

“It was- It was nice.” She lightly punched his shoulder. “I’m still mad, though.” At that, she scrambled off him.

He got to his feet. “Come now, Buffy, you have to understand . . .”

Her eyes widened. “I don’t, and I never will! You were going to leave me.” Her voice trembled. “I could live to be over a hundred with this little curse of immortality the powers have bestowed upon me. And I would have to go through them without you by my side.”

Spike stared in horror. Buffy sounded as if she were about to break. What had he done? He crept over to her side and took her in his arms. She willingly accepted his embrace.

“You know I love you, right?” she whispered.

He stroked her hair. “Heard it once or twice.”

She lifted her head to look into his eyes. The blue orbs were even more intense in the intense light. “No, I’m serious. You do know, right?”

“Yeah, luv, I know.”

She rested against him, taking a deep breath. “Forever.”

He smiled. “Until eternity.”

“And longer,” she added.

They figured that everything had settled down for the moment. The rest of the group most likely had gathered at the magic box. They were probably wondering what was going on, but right then they weren’t thinking of the others. The only thing right then were the two of them. They made love on the hill, overlooking Sunnydale. The newly risen warmth from above absorbed into their glistening bodies, warming them. Many unspoken promises were made during their union. When Spike entered Buffy, she knew that they really were one. They balanced each other: the dark and the light. The light bearer and dark keeper. She knew that Spike was her anchor and she was his. She vowed to be by his side for as long as she possibly could. And in the afterlife, she’d throw a fuss until the powers agreed to let Spike join her.

They entered the magic box with satisfaction on their faces, holding hands. Buffy’s expression fell when she scanned the people inside. Her gaze fell on Xander. She let go of Spike and went to his side.

“Xander, what happened!?” she exclaimed.

The young man had a black eye. He squinted up at her. “Watchers,” he said.

Confused, Buffy asked, “Huh?”

“Christina says the watchers are after you because of your light bearing energy. They ambushed me while you were away. They took Dawnie and left this.” Xander held up a piece of paper.

With a shaky hand, Buffy snatched the letter. She read it hurriedly.

Slayer,

We have your sister. Come meet us alone at your old house tonight. We’ll make the exchange then.

Sincerely,

The Watchers

She crumpled the paper in frustration. “Those bastards!” she shrieked.

Spike took the rumpled paper and read the note as well. A growl came from his throat.

“I tried, Buffy. I managed to get one good too. But then another came and knocked me out with a fertility goddess,” Xander told her.

“It’s all right, Xan, it isn’t your fault,” Buffy commented. Determination set in. “They’re gonna pay. Nobody messes with one of the people I love.”
“This is a trap, Buffy,” Spike said.

She nodded. “I know. But I don’t have any other choice. I have to meet them.”

“Buffy, you can’t risk yourself. You are the light bearer. If something were happen to you then the world is at stake,” Christina spoke up.

Buffy shot Christina a glare. “I will not abandon my sister!”

“Buffy, please be reasonable,” Giles urged. “At least consider what you will do when you get there. Sit down and we will create a course of action.”

“Ok,“ she agreed. Buffy surveyed the group. “If anything happens to me, promise me you will all keep fighting no matter what. And I love you all. I’m glad you’re all back.” She had been addressing the scoobies, but she also turned to Fred, Gunn, and Wesley who were now among them. “Uh, and nice meeting you.”

The bell over the entrance door suddenly chimed. They all looked over to see a woman walk in. She had an expression of irritation on her face.

“What is a closed sign doing on the store?” she demanded.

Xander stood up. His mouth hung open in shock.

“Where are the customers?” the woman went on. “You aren’t going to be making any money like this.”

Willow blinked. “An-Anya?”

“Hello,” Anya greeted. Then she noticed Xander’s condition. She rushed over to him. “Xander, who hit you? Are you going to be okay?”

“Ayn?” Xander choked in amazement.

“Yeah, it’s me.” She pushed Xander back in his seat, gingerly touching his bruise.

“Anya, how’d you know we would be here?” Buffy asked, curiously.

Anya glanced over. “Oh, the underground told me.”

“Underground?”

“You know, the creatures underground. Rumor had it that the slayer and her pals had risen again. It’s been circulating through the vengeance demons for a couple days now. I had to come and see for myself.” Anya moved to sit on Xander’s lap. “I’ve missed you so much,” she told him.

Spike turned around, heading for the door. “I’m going out for a smoke,” he informed.

“Did I just see Spike go out into the sunlight?” Angel questioned.

“Um . . .” Buffy began.

_______________________________________________________

Short, I know. But I gave you something to hold you guys over. To tell you all the truth I really can’t wait to get this done. I’ve been working on it for so long and am needing it to end.