Okay, Xander did not know Buffy was confined in a circle. All he knew was that she was in a house with a bunch of watchers who probably weren’t going to let her leave (at least not without a fight). His wording, however, made it possible for Buffy to break free from the magic circle.

 
Thank you Wiccan_Willow for helping me get past my writer’s block! The idea for the Light Bearer energy came from her, guys.

 
Chapter 36

“What do you mean she’s out? Just like that?” Cordelia inquired.

Willow glanced up from the text-o-matic. She nodded. “That is what it says. She‘s no longer in the circle. I don’t understand how, but yeah. ”

“We do.”

Everyone turned to see Xander and Anya emerge from the training room. Willow stepped toward them, a questioning look on her face.

“Anya decided it would be nice to play demon in the backroom,” Xander went on.

“Hey, I just saved Buffy’s butt!” Anya protested. “Isn’t that what you wanted? To save her?”

“Yeah, but, Ayn . . .”

“All right, people, let’s go then.” Spike hoisted up a sword that he must have retrieved when no one was paying attention. He headed for the door.

A sigh came from Giles. “Spike, we can’t barge in there. That is how Buffy got into this mess in the first place.”

A growl was heard from the white-haired vampire. “Bloody hell, watcher. I got a plan. Go in there, kick some counsel ass, get Buffy, leave. Good enough for you?”

“Mr. Giles is right,” Wesley spoke up. “Rash action . . .”

Anger passed over Spike’s features. “Fine, mate, you can stay here and think up your brilliant plan. Meanwhile, I’m gonna go actually DO SOMETHING!”

With that said, Spike exited the shop. The group was silent for a moment, just looking at each other.

Finally, Tara broke the silence. “Sp-Spike might be r-right.”

Willow looked over at her girlfriend. “What was that, baby?”

Softly, the other witch continued. “We can’t sit around and w-waste time.”

“We can’t go in there and start dropping human beings to the ground either,” Wesley acknowledged.

Willow raised her hand. “I could do a spell,” she offered. “Maybe put them out of action. A freezing spell?”

“Yes, that may be sufficient,” Giles stated.

“Come on, guys. I know Buffy is free now, but there is no telling what they might do to her,” Dawn said.

The group prepared to leave. Willow and Tara grabbed a magic book that might help them and the ones that had any fighting experience selected some weapons. Then they began to go. Just then Gunn and Fred came in. Gunn held a white box, which he held up.

“Pizza?” the dark-skinned man asked.

Fred examined them. She pushed her glasses further up on her nose. “Are you all going somewhere?”

|} - - -> <- - - {|

The watcher glanced at the empty circle and then back to Buffy. A smirk crept onto his face. “Quite impressive, Miss Summers. I’m not sure how you managed to escape, but very impressive. You do not fail to live up to your name.”

Buffy smiled. “I’m glad I didn’t disappoint you.”

“You do understand that you will still be stopped,” the watcher told her.

She shrugged. “Maybe. But I’m thinking might not.”

“What are you going to do, Miss Summers, kill us? I don’t think so. It is not in the slayer’s nature to do such things.”

“I’ve been known to break the rules. And as for killing you, well, I’m not too hott on the idea. But if it comes to that. . .”

Another watcher began to come down. He halted in shock. “Bram, what should I do?”

Without looking away from Buffy, Bram answered by saying, “Get the others.”

Buffy’s eyes widened. She rammed into Bram, pinning him against the wall.

“How many of you are there?” Buffy demanded.

She was surprised to see no fear on Bram’s face. “Enough.”

“I’ll snap your neck if they come down. I think you better cancel your order.”

He chuckled. “We are a special unit of the council.”

“Don’t you mean ‘was’ a special unit? The council is gone.”

He ignored her comment. “We were trained to be fearless of death. If we must die for the cause, then so be it. Go ahead, snap my neck.”

Buffy put more pressure on his throat. “Why do you want to kill me? I thought we were supposed to be on the same side. Okay, scratch that, I was never on your side. I always thought that you guys thought so, though. What changed your mind?”

“You don’t understand? We are watchers, slayer. What are we in a utopian society? We would have no identity,” Bram explained.

She blinked, confused. “That makes no sense.”

“Think about it this way. You are the slayer. That is what you are. Take that away and who are you?”

She grinned. “Buffy Anne Summers, USA citizen.”

The sound of footsteps approached. Her head flung to the side and she saw five men come down. One held a gun. Tranquilizer, she thought. Things happened fast then. The man’s finger went for the trigger. Panic built up inside her. On autopilot, she let go of Bram. Her palms thrust outward and white energy spurted forth.

The band of watchers fell to the floor. Buffy stared down at her hands in shock.

|} - - -> <- - - {|

Spike rushed into the house. He reached out and flipped on the light switch. The place was vacant, with no furnishing whatsoever. It didn’t resemble his girl’s dwelling anymore. It was just empty space. Joyce came to his mind and he felt sorry that her house had ended up this way.

He banished his thoughts and started to scan the place. He thought he heard noise from the basement and went in that direction.

He found her standing before five fallen men. He ran to her and flung his arms around her tiny frame.

“Buffy,” he whispered. The sword he clutched fell to the floor, forgotten.

The slayer held him back and then released him. Her attention went back to the watchers. “I- I did that. With my light bearing power. How could I . . .?” She glanced down at her hands as if she expected them to catch on fire.

Spike went over to the bodies. He bent down and checked their vitals. “They’re not dead, pet.”

She took in a shaky breath of relief.

The two were so absorbed with the other five watchers that they didn’t notice Bram. He sneaked over and snatched up the abandoned sword. He held it up and slowing moved toward Buffy and Spike. Before he could do much of anything, however, the weapon flung out of his grasp.

The three of them turned to see Christina. The sword floated over and landed in her hand. “I don’t think so, Bram.”

“Wha . . .?” the watcher began.

“Christina? How did you get here?” Buffy asked.

“The powers have sent me to give the watchers a message.” Her gaze never left Bram. “They are very disappointed. They created the watchers to aid the slayer. Throughout the years the council have thought to reverse that. The powers have overlooked that until now. You have forgotten your cause and turned against the slayer. The powers strip you from your duty. The slayer no longer has need of you.”

Bram’s expression was blank.

“The powers that be shall be watching you. I trust that you shall obey. I bid you goodbye.”

“Wait, Christina, where are you going?” Buffy questioned.

“The powers want me back on the upper plane. They say I am not needed at the moment.”

“Oh. Well, thanks for everything.”

Christina smiled. “It was nice meeting you, Buffy.”

Spike came over to Buffy and put his arm around her. She leaned into his strong form. It felt so nice to relax now that the encounter was over.

“So, luv, guess the battle’s over. Now for the war,” he said.

“Don’t remind me, Spike. I just want to be like this, with you, no worries. Just for a little while. No thoughts of Glory and her dark key.”

“The key of darkness is here!?” Bram exclaimed.

Buffy’s eyes snapped to land on Bram. “Do you know about him?”

Bram swallowed. “Yes.”

“How much do you know about him?”

“All that I need to, and I wish I didn’t know that.”

“Do you know how we can stop him?”

“We hoped it wouldn’t come to this. We wanted to sacrifice you and stop this whole light vs. dark ordeal. Let the world go on like it has been, the world in gray.” He paused. “Yes, slayer, I know how to stop him, but you aren’t going to like it.”

Buffy broke away from her vampire boyfriend. “How?”

Bram met her eyes. “The only way to get rid of the key of darkness is to get rid of the key of light.”

A loud gasp hit their ears. They looked over to see the Scooby gang. Dawn stood before them with a hand over her mouth in horror.

________________________________________________________

What do you think?