Chapter 39

Blackness spread through the sky. Creatures from the netherworld swarm out of the gloom to bring disorder unto the land. Xander’s attention shifted from Anya to the energy above. He gaped, appalled by the sight.

“We’re too late,” Anya whispered.

Xander looked back down. He couldn’t speak. He ran his thumb over her cheek.

“The salvation has began,” a nearby vampire said.

“It’s the end,” Anya continued. “Evil will rule the world now.”

Xander held her to him. “Nah, don’t be so cynical. We always stop these things.”

A choked laugh came from Anya. “Don’t be stupid, Xander. We’re all gonna die.”

Suddenly Anya grabbed onto Xander’s arm. She let out a cry or pain.

“Ahn, what’s wrong?” he asked with worry.

She took in a few ragged breaths. “Powerful little key. He screwed me up good.”

“Anya?”

Sadness crossed over her face. “This isn’t the way it is supposed to be.” She gazed up at the portal of destruction. “We’re all gonna die. But I think . . .” She winced. “ . . . that I’m gonna be going a tad sooner than the rest of you.”
Shocked and disbelieving, Xander’s eyes widened. “What!? Ahn, you aren’t dying. Vengeance demons don‘t die. ”

A small smile of regret appeared on her mouth. “Maybe not by a sword, but I was hit by magic energy.” She paused. “I didn’t want this to happen. I wanted to live to be wrinkly with you. To have endless orgasms of pleasure. And when we did die, I wanted it to be together. You weren’t supposed to die before me.” Tears formed in her eyes. She cupped his face. “I’m so lucky to have you back. I’m just sorry you don’t love me anymore.”

“I never said that!” he protested.

“It’s all right, Xander. I know you can’t feel the same way about me anymore. Demons will always be unworthy to you.”

He shook his head violently. “I still feel the same way about you. I just don’t know how I feel about myself. Please, Ahn, you gotta understand. . .”

Her eyes fluttered. “I’m so tired,” she muttered.

His eyes began to sting.

“Can you just hold me?” she pleaded.

Xander was already holding her, but he brought her even closer to him. She was so close that he could breath in her sweet scent. She stared up at him with so much emotion that it made him want to burst.

“Don’t forget me?” It was said as a question.

He felt her body go limp. Her lovely eyes closed. He waited a beat for them to open again, but nothing happened.

“Anya?” He shook her, but there was no response. “Anya!?”

|} - - -> <- - - {|

Willow held onto Tara’s hands with all her might. A force was trying to throw them apart.

“Turak han cor mae tu!” the red-head shouted in a form of ancient language.
“Ku yo pay sae!” Tara added.

“Rare be gen su!” Willow finished.

They both shook with the intensity of the spell. It abruptly ended. Both girls fainted from exhaustion.

|} - - -> <- - - {|

As soon as Buffy saw the portal open she snatched Spike and started to run. They rushed through the crowd of vampires, dusting a few on their way. Then they went up the tower steps, heading to the heart of it all.

The couple stopped at the top. A small boy sat on the platform, staring at a silver blade. A trickle of red ran down his arm. Beside him, Dawn knelt. The key of light turned her head toward the slayer and vampire.

“I think he’s human now. That the spell worked,” Dawn explained.

The boy trembled.

“The darkness has left his soul,” Dawn said. “But it’s too late.”

Buffy took in the scene. She stepped forward. “Okay, portal equal badness. But we can stop it, right?” She glanced at Spike. “We’re the prophesy people. All we gotta do is use our gifts.”

“There is more to it than that,” Dawn said. “You have to ‘join’ them.”

“Why couldn’t the power blokes tell us how to do this?” Spike stated with disapproval.

“But they didn’t. All they left us was a cryptic prophesy. No time to dwell on it,” the slayer said. She pondered for a moment. “How about I try to shoot my light bearing energy and you shoot your dark keeper energy? We’ll try to combine them in the air.”

“I don’t know if I can do it again,” Spike confessed.

Buffy sighed. She understood. She wasn’t so sure she would be able to do it either. She had tried to summon her power at will while fighting Glory but it hadn’t worked.

“I got an idea!” Spike exclaimed.

The bleached male went over to the abandoned knife. He picked it up, facing Buffy and Dawn. “Blood! It is always about blood. Blood might be the trigger.”

“Worth a shot,” Buffy said.

Spike took the blade and cut his palm. He handed it over to Buffy, who did the same. They pressed the wounds together, letting their blood mingle. After a long wait they discovered that nothing was happening. Buffy pulled her hand back in frustration.

“Ugh! This is ridiculous.” Buffy raised her head to the sky. “Stupid bastards! You send Dawn down here to be our guides but don’t tell her anything useful. How can she guide us if she is clueless as to how this will work!?”

“Buffy?’ Dawn called in a small voice.

Buffy looked over at her sister.

“I think I know a way to stop this,” Dawn went on.

“How?”

“I’m the key of light, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, the key of darkness made the portal open. I think I can make it close.”

“How?”

Dawn grabbed the knife.

“No!” Spike seized the knife from Dawn’s grasp. He threw it over the edge of the tower.

The vamp got on his knees before Buffy. He craned his neck up. “I’ve figured it out, luv. Blood of yesterday pumps renewal for today. Trickles until gone, and fills up again. Light Bearer for the Dark Keeper. Hand in hand.”

Buffy got down on her knees also. She gazed deeply into his eyes. Suddenly it was all clear. She didn’t know how, but she knew what to do all of a sudden. A thick blanket of fog had been lifted from her vision.

Buffy brushed her golden hair to her left side. She tilted her head, exposing her neck. Spike shifted into game face. He lowered himself to her pumping pulse point. He gave her creamy skin a loving kiss before sinking his fangs into it. At first it stung, but then warmth spread through her. She relaxed, knowing that this was right. This was what was supposed to be.

Spike pulled back. “Mine,” he said in a husky voice.

“Yours,” Buffy acknowledged.

He lifted his wrist to his mouth. He tore into it and then placed it before Buffy. She brought it to her mouth and sucked in the red liquid he offered. She swallowed the substance, not in the least disgusted. She knew when enough was enough, and she released his wrist.

“Mine,” she breathed.

“Yours,” he replied.

The couple held hands. As one, they said, “Darkness to light. Light to darkness. Together as one. . . forever until eternity.”

Bright light shot forth. All they could see was light. All they could feel was heat. When it passed, the sky was no longer dark. It had been replaced by blue. The sun beamed down on them with life.

Buffy grinned. “We did it.”

They both noticed Dawn come up beside them. “That was really cool. . . Yet, entirely gross.”

“Pet?” He said to Buffy. “Look.”

The slayer did as she was told. She looked at his wrist, seeing that the blood had completely vanished.

“Your bruises are gone too, luv.”

She leaned in for a kiss. “We’ve been healed.”

He knew she meant the world in the ‘we’. And he also knew that she didn’t only mean on the outside.

_________________________________________________

Please tell me what you think. There will be one more part after this, along with an epilogue that takes place years later.