Chapter 5

“You heard me right. I don’t need any instructions on finding the slayer, we already found her,” Fredrick spoke into the receiver of the phone. “Yes, we’re positive it is her.” He waited for the other end to reply. “I know I should have called first thing but it was two o’clock in the morning.” Another pause. “Yes, I’ve made some progress on the prophesy. I’ll contact you as soon as it is unscrambled. Ok, goodbye.”

Fredrick put the telephone back in the cradle, relieved to have gotten the call over with. He was always nervous when talking to the council. The fact that they had so much power over him scared him a bit. If he did something to their dislike they could even exile him to Bermuda if they desired to.

Sounds of fighting came from downstairs. Fredrick went down to check on the younger (well, on appearance standards, afterall Spike was over 2 hundred) occupants. He caught them sparring, sweaty and having a grand time.

“That’s it slayer,” Spike commented. “Where did you learn this stuff? You have the skills of an active slayer when you were only awakened last night.”

She shrugged. “I am just fit, I guess. I exercise regularly and do ti-chi and yoga.”

“You’re good, I have to admit. With training you could maybe make it.”

Suddenly she halted. She brushed a strand of hair out of her eye. “What do you mean ’make it’? You sound like I’m destined to die. Well, that’s not going to happen if I have anything to say about it.”

Spike smiled. “It’s not. I’m not going to let it. You‘ll be 92 in a nursing home eating chocolate covered cherries and playing bingo in the lounge.”

Angela wrinkled her nose. “Too much imagery. I don’t wanna think about being a wrinkled prune.”

At that moment Fredrick made his presence known. “I informed the council of Angela,” he told Spike.

The vampire nodded his head. “Right. They give us any orders?”

“Not accept for to decipher the prophesy as soon as I can. All you have to worry about is training her.”

“Can do that, mate. What I‘m here for,” Spike said.

Angela sipped her water, cooling down from her workout. She was slightly annoyed at the fact that the two males acted as if she was not in the room.

“Can I use the shower?” Angela spoke up.

“Oh, uh, sure. You should make it a habit of bringing extra clothes to change into,” the watcher advised.

“Thanks. And I’ll keep that in mind.”

Spike watched as she stepped up the stairs. A feeling rose up inside him that he hadn’t sensed in . . . a long time. When they had been fighting he felt a union between them. Equals.

|} - - -> <- - - {|

That night, Angela rummaged through the fridge. She gave a great sigh of defeat. “I need to get groceries,” she declared.

Spike nodded from the sofa. He was flipping through the channels on the TV she had finally hooked up.

“Anything you want? I mean, I know you are on the liquid diet, but you can eat other stuff if you want to, right?” She grabbed her purse off the kitchen counter.

“Cocoa. Get me some mix in a box,” he answered.

“Okay. That all? How about some little marshmallows to go with it?” The thought just popped in her head. It was only natural, afterall. Marshmallows went in hot chocolate.

“Yeah!” He turned his head toward the kitchen. “You really are an angel, saving blokes like me. I completely forgot about that. Can’t have my cup without them.”

“One bag of sugary goodness. Check.” She came into the living room. “That it?”

He took a moment to think. His eyes widened. “Could you get a box of those chocolate covered cherries?”

Surprise came over Angela. Why would he want that? “I - I think I can do that. Got a sweet tooth?”

“Oh, they aren’t for me. I want them for a lady friend I have. Got money to pay for it if you like.” He hardly glanced up from the show he was watching.

“Lady friend? Girl friend, you mean?” She wondered where that tinge of jealousy came from that rose up in her chest.

He snorted. “Nah. She’s seventy-six years old, pet.”

“Oh.” She laughed. “That’s so sweet of you, Spike. Of course I’ll get a box.”

“Thanks, luv. I really appreciate it. And before you go, can I use the phone?”

“They haven’t connected the line yet. I have my cell, though.” She dug in her purse for the cell-phone. Her hand emerged with it. She set it down on the coffee table. “There you go. Ok, I’m going now.”

“Bye, Angel,” he called. She was rewarded by his piercing blue eyes. She smiled, giving him a slight wave before shutting the door.

Spike was supposed to be looking for a house of his own, but the more she spent with him, the longer she wanted him to stay.

|} - - -> <- - - {|

Spike dialed the number by heart. He ran a hand through his peroxide hair, listening to the rings. On the fourth, someone picked up.

“Hello?”

“Ello, Red,” Spike said.

“Spike!” The reply was cheerful and excited.

“Care if I stop by tonight? Got more of those candies you like.”

“Oh, Spike, you don’t have to give me stuff. I still got some of those éclairs you got me last time. You coming over to keep me company is enough.”

“Yeh, but I want to.”

“I have satellite, Spike. Did you know they have reruns of Passions on the soap network.”

“Is that so?”

“Yes. I’ve been recording some for you. When you come over we can stuff our face with popcorn and scream at Timmy to watch out.”

Spike laughed. “Sounds like fun. It’s a date then. How bout seven?”

“Great.”

“See ya then, luv.”

“You too. Bye, Spike.”

“Bye, Red.”

Spike waited for the click indicating Willow had hung up. He placed the phone back on the coffee table with a grin on his face.

____________________________________________

 
 
He he he. Did you guys see that coming?

I’m getting so many ideas for this story. Don’t know what length this will be. Could end up being long. Lots of cool stuff is gonna happen, including a huge battle. That is, if you stay with me for that long. That is why I’m getting this out fast, so you and I don’t get sick of it. I don’t know about you but if I go for very long without working on or reading a fic I tend to lose my enthusiasm over it.