Chapter 7

“Katie!? What are you doing here? How did you know I was here?” Spike demanded. He crossed his arms, trying to go for the stern approach.

Surprise came over Angela. “This is your Katie?”

Spike nodded. “The one and only.”

“I don’t think she knew you were here. I saved her from a vampire on my way home. Thought it best to bring her back here so she could call her parents. ” She gasped. “Damn, I forgot the groceries! I left them lying there in front of that store.”

“We’ll get them after we take Katie home.” Spike met the teen’s eyes. Her gaze fell to the floor. “So, what happened to make you sneak out, huh?”

“How’d you . . .?” Katie whispered.

A snort came from Spike. “Please, Rebecca would never let you out at this hour.”

“Yeah,” the girl squeaked. She raised her head. “But I had good reason to. They were yelling so loud. And Dad was pounding on my door. Mom actually called him an asshole. She never cusses. This was bad. Real bad. I’ve never heard them fight like this before.”

Spike frowned. Rebecca and George fought a lot, and Katie had gotten used to it by now. If it was enough to cause her to freak, this one must have been the worst. Worry filled him. Would George hurt Rebecca? He never had before, but if this one went further than the others . . .?

He snapped into action. “We have to go over there. I’ll get my shirt.” He rummaged in his duffle bag, bringing out a clean red t-shirt. With that, he went to put it on in the bathroom.

Angela suspected why he was in a hurry to get to Katie’s house. She wondered what kind of man Rebecca married. She would never stay with someone abusive. Or even one who couldn’t stop yelling at her, for that matter.

After a moment, Spike returned. They left the building, the vamp leading the way. He was so infuriated over George. If the wanker laid a finger on Rebecca he’d tear him to pieces. He wouldn’t even hesitate for a second.

“Cor, I wish I had my Desoto,” he muttered.

“That thing was a piece of junk,” Angela said without thinking.

He stopped. He swiveled to face her as she came up.

“Why’d you stop walking,” she said, not processing her words before.

“How’d you know about my car?” The look he gave her was challenging.

“I . . . I don’t know.” She was quiet for a span, then added, “I’ve never seen it.”

“My thoughts exactly. So, why did you say that? It could have been brand new for all you know.”

Angela laughed. “Yeah, right. It was probably black, with the bumper coming off. Made putt-putt noises too.”

He glared. “The thing was a classic,” he defended.

The two continued walking. “Bet you never had a new thing in your unlife,” Angela teased.

“That’s not true! I stole a TV out of the store once. And my refrigerator in the crypt!”

Katie shook her head. Geez, she could practically see sparks coming off them.

Soon, they made it to Katie and Rebecca’s house. Spike strode up the steps to the porch. He rang the doorbell. His keen hearing detected that the house was silent within. He didn’t know if that was a good sign or not.

Rebecca opened the door. To Spike’s relief she appeared to be fine physically. Mentally was a different matter entirely. She seemed worn and very upset. She had clearly been crying.

Katie barged forward to hug her mother. “Mom! Are you okay? Is Dad calmed down?”

Startled, Rebecca held her daughter back. “Honey, did you leave? I didn’t even realize. God . . .!” Tears began to fall down her face. “Best you did. The things your father said to me. . .”

Spike’s hands formed fists. “Where is the whelp!?”

“Spike?” Rebecca acted as if she just noticed he was there. “He left. Maybe for good.”

“I hope so,” Spike growled. “Because if I get my hands on him . . .”

The group came inside. Angela felt a little out of place. She didn’t even know Rebecca and Katie. This was personal business that she shouldn‘t be intruding on. Should have stayed at home, she thought.

Rebecca offered to make them all hot chocolate. In the kitchen, she gathered mugs. She turned to Angela. “Any, my dear?”

Angela shook her head. She wasn’t in the mood to consume anything. “No, thank-you.” She smiled.

Spike and Katie took seats at the island. It was their special spot.

“So, did you kick Daddy out?” Katie asked. She didn’t sound like she was sorry that he was gone.

Rebecca put on the kettle. She sighed. “No. It was his idea to leave. Besides, it was about time for him to go to the hospital. ” George’s profession was a doctor.

The woman got out the chocolate. “Oh, can someone get Spike’s marshmallows?”

“I will,” Angela offered.

“In the pantry,” Rebecca informed.

Angela opened the pantry door. She spotted two bags of marshmallows, side-by-side. One was full of the big size, and the other bite-size. “Tiny ones, right Spike?” she called. She grabbed those before he even replied.

“Yeh, those are the ones,” he said.

She gave him the bag with a grin. Then she asked, “Where is the bathroom? I sort of have to go.”

“Up the stairs and to the right, luv.”

“Thanks.”

Angela managed to find it with no trouble. She took care of her necessities, and went back downstairs. She glanced around the living room. It was very elegant with figurines and candles. Patterned pillows adorned the sofa. Some paintings hung on the wall as well. She deduced that Rebecca favored fancy things.

Her eyes shifted to the mantel over the fireplace. There were photos in frames. She found one of Rebecca, George, and Katie; Katie alone (a school pic most likely); Katie with a yellow Colley dog; and even one of Spike. He was not by himself, but rather with a woman ( around in her twenties) with long brown hair. They were both smiling, hugging. It wasn’t a romantic embrace, but rather one that a brother and sister would have.

There was one more picture that froze her in place. It was of a young woman with blonde hair and hazel eyes with a trace of green. She was sitting on the steps in front of a house. Her mouth was grinning, yet sadness marred her eyes just the same. The woman had been trying to be happy, even though things were apparently not peachy for her.

Angela was mesmerized, not able to look away. Her hand came out, against her will. It snatched up the frame, bringing it up to her face. She gazed into the woman’s eyes. And was falling.

|} - - -> <- - - {|

Spike and Katie sipped their cocoa.

“What got the git so brassed off?” Spike inquired.

Rebecca settled at the table. Spike hopped off the stool to join her.

“George says he never wanted to know vampires and demons existed. He wants me to forget they’re out there and live a normal life. Having you stay here was a current reminder that the world wasn’t a sunshiny place. He would rather look at things with rose-colored glasses,” Rebecca explained.

“He has to understand that you aren’t like that, luv.”

She nodded. “But he doesn’t. That’s why I’m thinking of getting a divorce. We’re going to discuss it after we both have cooled down.”

Taking a hand, he laid it on hers. “I’m sorry, luv. Are you gonna be all right?”

“I will be. It just might take awhile.”

“Angela’s been in the bathroom a long time,” Katie interrupted.

It hit Spike that Katie was right. He stood up. “I’m going to check on her.”

Rebecca nodded.

He was shocked to discover that Angela was in the living room. He watched her for a minute, seeing what she was up to. She was staring at the mantel Then her hand took one of the picture off the shelf.

“Angel?” he said, taking a step toward her.

She didn’t respond. She kept staring into the picture. Suddenly, it fell from her fingers. She let out a cry, her legs buckling. Spike rushed over, catching her before she hit the floor. He picked her up.

She buried her head in the crook of his neck. “What is happening to me?” she muttered.

Spike looked down at the picture she dropped. Buffy.

“Let’s take you home, luv,” he said to the girl in his arms.

After telling Rebecca they were leaving, Spike carried Angela toward her apartment. She was exhausted. When they got there, he tucked her into bed. Half asleep, she mumbled, “Groceries.”

“I’ll go get them. Where?”

“Magic Box.”

Spike stood there for a long time, his brain a jumbled mess. Finally, he took off toward where the magic shop used to be.

 
 
___________________________________________

Hmmmm, could Spike be suspecting something now? Surely, he must.