Part 2- Awakening

Chapter 10

Angela surveyed the barren landscape. There was nothing except the rocky ground she stood on and drab sky above. Her heart beat loudly in her chest, frightened at the fact that she was in an unknown place.

The sound of footsteps filled her ears. She spun around, seeing a person approach. As they neared, features came into view. They were clearly female. Blond hair blowing in the wind. White sweater with gray pants. The outfit was completed with black boots. The woman stepped closer until she was only a foot away from Angela. And hazel eyes met hazel eyes. Each set were the exact same, down to the flakes of green.

A gasp came from Angela. “You’re the girl from the photo,” she whispered in awe.

Giggles erupted from the woman. “You mean, Buffy? Oh, no, I’m not Buffy. How can I be Buffy, when you are?”

Angela shook her head. “What!?”

The giggles intensified. “I’m a guide using the form of Buffy. As you are Buffy using the form of Angela.”

“And I say ‘huh’?”

The guide gave her a knowing smile. “Let me show you. All you have to do is take my hand.” She offered her hand.

Angela stared at the hand. She hesitantly took it in her own. Their fingers entwined, and an explosion of light burst forth. It blinded Angela physically, but for the first time she saw things clearly.

Buffy opened her eyes and awakened.
|} - - -> <- - - {|

The girl on the bed sucked in a load of air. She jolted to a sitting position, eyes wide. Spike, whose head was on her stomach, rose up. He blinked, not being able to believe what he was seeing. “Angela,” he croaked. Then he enfolded her in his arms, crying with joy. “Angel, you didn’t leave me.”

She blinked, trying to concentrate. And then she remembered. . . Everything. “Spike?”

He pulled away, slightly, to meet her gaze. His hand stroked her back, lovingly. “Yes, luv?”

“Buffy,” she murmured.

“What?”

“My name. My name is Buffy,” she answered.

New tears fell. Then he lost it, holding her tighter and kissing her in a frenzy. He couldn’t get enough of her. She was there, real, and alive.

“Spike, unlike you, I need to breath,” she got out.

He loosened his grip, relaxing. He cupped her cheek. “You’re still my angel.”

A grin spread across her face. It must have been contagious, because Spike’s mouth did the same.

“Is it really you, luv?”

“Uh huh, Buffy Anne Summers, the one and only. I remember everything. It all came back when I . . .”

Being attacked by the demon flashed into her head. She had been sure that she was going to die. It had come out of nowhere, pinning her to the ground. Then it started to rip her apart before she could fight back.

Buffy studied herself. The blood was still there, but somehow there wasn’t a scratch on her. She rubbed her stomach, the place the demon had dug into her the most, feeling flawless skin. She didn’t feel the slightest bit of pain. The only sign that she had ever been injured was the red and tattered clothing she wore.

“I don’t understand,” she muttered.

“Neither do I, pet,” Spike replied. “Neither do I. You were dying. I could even feel it. Now, you’re good as new.”

“Weird.” She moved to get off the bed. She got to her feet and stretched. “120%.”

Spike was skeptical. He was ready to catch her if she made the slightest hint that she was going to fall. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yep,” she chirped. “Hand me Mr. Pointy and I could stake a thousand vamps.”

He raised an eyebrow.

“Okay, not a thousand. A hundred?”

“I’m bout ready to carry you. Actually think I’d let you go patrol?”

“I’ll take that as a no.” She looked at her shirt. “Can I at least get decent clothes? I’m all sticky and gross.”

“Course. Rebecca probably has some clothes you can change into. Cor!”

Buffy gave him a questioning glance. “What?”

“They’re downstairs. Rebecca, Katie, and George. Sure gonna get a bloody surprise.”

|} - - -> <- - - {|

George was sitting on the chair, while Rebecca and Katie were on the sofa. Rebecca stood up as Spike descended the stairs. “William?”
He didn’t answer, just moved aside to reveal Buffy. Her eyes traveled the living room, taking them in.

“It can’t be,” George said in amazement.

“I know,” Buffy agreed.

“You lost too much blood. How is it possible for you to stand up, let alone be conscious? I‘m sorry to say this, but you should be dead.”

Buffy and Spike, hand in hand, came over to them. “We don’t know what is going on either. Buffy was lying there when all of a sudden she woke up, healed,” Spike informed.

“B-Buffy?” Rebecca stuttered.

“In the flesh.” Buffy scrunched up her nose. “Or, uh, maybe not.”

“Buffy’s dead,” Rebecca said softly.

“Yeah, I was. But it seems I’m back. Or at least my spirit is. I don’t quite understand it myself. The memory of my former life came back to me while I was unconscious.” She turned to Spike. “Better talk to Fredrick about this.”

Spike nodded. “Right then, we’ll do that.”

Katie got on her knees, leaning against the end of the couch. “This is cool! Are you really my great-aunt?”

Buffy’s mouth hung open, not knowing what to say.

The room went silent. George got out of the chair. “I can’t stay here,” he told them. “Vampires, demons, witches. Reincarnation now. What next? Well, I’m not staying to find out.” He grabbed his coat, rushing out the door.

|} - - -> <- - - {|

A little while later, Rebecca had taken Buffy up to change her clothes. Buffy turned around, smoothing down the clean shirt she had on. “They fit,” she announced.

“That’s good. They used to fit me too.” Rebecca laughed, putting a hand on her pregnant belly.

A smile came to Buffy’s lips. “You’ll be wearing them again in a couple months.”

Rebecca stood there, gawking at the slayer. Buffy looked down at her feet, feeling uncomfortable. “Do they look bad on me?” she asked.

“I just can’t believe it,” the woman whispered.

“Oh,” Buffy said in understanding. “Yeah, gives me the wiggins too. I know everything about Angela, but I know I’m not really her. I know that her favorite color was blue. She loved country music. And she drank tea. Now, how do I know that I’m Buffy and not her? My favorite color is black, I despise country music, and I go for the diet coke. I know Angela, I feel Buffy.”

“My mother used to tell me stories about you. I wanted to be the slayer when I was small. Went out and played it in the backyard. The neighborhood kids thought I had a good imagination to think up such a game.” Rebecca laughed.

“Dawnie,” Buffy breathed. She shut her eyes. It finally hit her. Everybody she had known was gone. The scoobies and her sister were a thing of the past.

It must have been obvious what Buffy was thinking. Rebecca touched her arm. “She was happy. Right up until the end. She knew she was dying for months, but she made the most of what time she had. Before she went she told me that the hardest thing on Earth was to live in it. That you had to be brave and strong. I never forgot that. Whenever something awful happens to me I think of those words. It gets me through it. ”

Buffy put her hands over her face, sobbing. Rebecca put her arm around the girl, trying to bring comfort.
____________________________________________

I hope this chapter was okay. It was sort of hard to get out the way I wanted.