Chapter 10

“Honey, are you going to be okay?”

Buffy shook her head and sat up, wiping away the remaining tears from her eyes. “I just feel tired.”

Joyce placed down the glass of water that she brought, sitting on the edge of her daughter’s bed. “Does your head hurt?”

“No, only my heart.” A new set of tears started, Buffy was really getting sick of crying.

“Oh, sweetheart, I wish I could make it better for you.”

Buffy nodded, taking in a deep breath to try and calm herself. “I thought he liked me. I guess that was stupid, guys are never interested in me. I should have known something was wrong.”

Joyce shook her head. “Don’t talk like that; you are a very beautiful girl. Any boy would be lucky to have you. I’m sure William is just misunderstood. I saw the way he looked at you, Buffy. I don’t think it was pretend.”

“It doesn’t matter now. It was a bad idea to move here. We don’t even know if this surgeon can help me. I don’t even think I care anymore.”

Joyce was concerned as she took Buffy into her arms. Her daughter never used to talk like that, always one to find a positive outlook on everything.

Giles watched the two most important women in his life from the doorway. It pained him to see his little girl with a broken heart. Buffy had enough to deal with as it was, she didn’t need this on top of everything else.

“You don’t have to go to school tomorrow, sweetie.”

Buffy pulled out of her mother’s embrace. “That’s okay, I should go. I can’t avoid it forever. I’ll be fine.”

Joyce wasn’t very convinced, but decided not to say anything else about it. When Buffy finally fell asleep, she left the room to join her husband.

Giles had a grim look on his face. “What did that boy do to her?”

“I don’t really know. She wouldn’t go into the details, but my guess is that he wasn’t who she thought he was. Let’s just get to bed.”

Giles nodded and followed after his wife, knowing that sleep would not come easy that night.


* * * * *


Spike headed over to Buffy’s usual table during lunch, surprised to not find her there. He graced Willow with a smile, which was not returned.

“Do you know where Buffy is?” he wondered.

“I haven’t seen her, but I don’t think she wants to talk to you.”

Spike sighed. “Well, I need to talk to her. I’m going bloody crazy here; she has to know that I never meant to hurt her. That I was up all night thinking about her.”

Willow took some pity on him. “Buffy will talk to you when she’s ready, she probably just needs time. I only know about you from what I’ve seen and heard. It’s understandable that she would be upset right now, Spike. You made it seem like you were only after sex. She could have probably forgiven you if you came clean, but you just decided to carry on with the bet. Then after you slept together, you ignored her. What was she supposed to think?”

“She told you all of that?”

Willow shrugged. “She called me last night. I really don’t know where Buffy is, she might have decided not to show up.”

Spike ran his fingers through his hair. He really made a mess out of everything, but all he wanted to do was find Buffy.

Xander headed over to the table, sitting down next to Willow.

Spike noticed how close they were and wondered if something more was going on, but he couldn’t think about that at the moment.

“How are you doing, man?”

Spike gave his friend a small smile, glad that he didn’t seem to be all against him. “I’ve been better. Have you seen Buffy?”

He shook his head. “No, maybe she stayed home today.”

Spike was afraid of that, having a feeling that he wouldn’t be welcome at her house. He gave them one more smile and a nod, then left the cafeteria. Spike had a girl to find.


* * * * *


Buffy wasn’t in class, and she never showed up later on. It had to be seriously bad if she decided to stay home. Spike would have to stop by after school; he didn’t see any other options. He was too lost in his thoughts, when someone came up behind him and shoved him into the lockers, smashing her lips against his. Spike came back to reality and pushed her away from him, wiping at his mouth.

“What the fuck are you doing, Darla?”

She was stunned by his reaction. “You must be having a bad day, but I don’t have time for that. Come on, the janitor’s closet is available.”

He raised his eyebrows. “What are you on about?”

Darla rolled her eyes. “Oh, how they forget. We had a scheduled fuck for this afternoon; you made it like a week ago. I couldn’t do it sooner because I was too busy with Lindsey, but I’m free now. So, what are you waiting for?”

Spike completely forgot all about her. God, he couldn’t believe that he was scheduling girls to take to the janitor’s closet for a quick shag. He couldn’t even stand Darla; the bitch was bound to give him a disease. This had to end now. “Yeah, that’s not happening. Go back to Lindsey, I have an elsewhere to be. And since you’re usually so good with gossip, you can go ahead and spread something for me. Spike Rayne is now a one woman man,” he said with a grin, then walked away from her.

Darla’s jaw nearly dropped, but the news was just too good to pass up. She grabbed a nearby brunette, pulling the girl over to her side. “You are never going to believe this.”


* * * * *


Buffy headed to her locker at the end of the day. She came to school with confidence, but soon realized that she couldn’t face Spike. So like a coward, she spent mostly the whole day in the library. Buffy was just glad for the day to finally be over, her head was starting to throb like crazy and she really wanted to go home. She opened her locker and found the yellow rose that was still inside. It was pretty much dead now, but the sight of it brought more tears to her eyes. She was about to close the door, when a tissue was suddenly thrust into her face.

“You looked like you could use it.”

Buffy took the tissue from Angel, with a small smile. He never talked to her before.

“Look, I just wanted to say that Spike isn’t all that bad of a guy. I know what he did was stupid, but I believe that he really cares for you.”

Buffy dabbed at her eyes with the tissue, shoving it into her pocket. “How can you be so sure?”

Angel shrugged. “I just can. I’ve known Spike for a long while now, and I’ve never seen him look at a girl before the way he looked at you. It was like you hung the moon or something, the boy has it bad. I know he seems tough a lot of the time, but he has a good heart. Inside is just someone that wants to be loved. Hell, we all want that. He just tries not to show it much, but it’s there. You were the only one that managed to find it.”

Buffy was about to respond, but never got the chance.

“Who do you think you are stealing my boyfriend?”

Angel rolled his eyes. “For crying out loud, Harmony. He was never your boyfriend.”

She glared at him. “I don’t believe I was talking to you.”

Buffy was confused. “Who’s your boyfriend?”

Harmony turned back to her. “Spike, duh, he was mine until you came along. Just stay away from him, Betty.”

Buffy looked to Angel for some help.

“Don’t listen to her. Harmony talks a lot of nonsense. She hasn’t gotten it through her head that Spike wants nothing to do with her,” he said, giving the blonde a glare of his own.

She crossed her arms over her chest. “You were just jealous, Angel.”

He laughed. “You must be delusional; I could care less about you. Get over it, Harm. Spike has moved on to better things.”

Buffy tuned them both out after that, something didn’t feel right.


* * * * *


Xander made his way over to Spike, taking a deep breath.

“You may have hurt Buffy, but I can tell how sorry you are about it. If you want to talk to her, I saw her leaving the library a little while ago. She probably went to her locker.”

Spike sighed in relief, giving his friend a smile. “Thanks, mate, I promise that things are going to be different from now on.” Anything else he would have said was cut off by a commotion in the distance. Spike ran to see what was going on, Xander right behind him. What he saw was Buffy lying on the floor, a group of students standing over her. He hurried to her side. “What happened?” he asked Angel.

“I don’t know. We were talking and she just collapsed out of nowhere.”

Spike examined Buffy closer, glancing up at the crowd that formed around them. “Someone call an ambulance!” he yelled to anyone that would listen.

Xander pulled out his cell phone and did just that, hanging up after a few seconds. “They’re on the way.”

He nodded and turned back to Buffy, supporting her head in his lap. “It’s okay, baby. Help is coming; you’re going to be fine. You have to be fine,” Spike whispered the last part as he continued to hold her, praying that the paramedics would get there in time.