Chapter 12

It had been a couple of hours since Buffy went in for surgery. Spike remained anxiously awaiting the results with her parents, avoiding any glares that her step-father sent in his direction. Nothing could make him leave the hospital now. Not until he knew for sure that her operation was a success. He called his house and left a message for his father on the answering machine, relieved the older man wasn’t there. Spike normally wouldn’t even bother, but felt that he should at least let Ethan know where he was. He perked up when the doctor headed towards them, standing up with her parents to receive the news. Spike took a deep breath once he reached their side.

“We were able to remove the tumor completely; your daughter is going to be just fine. Dr. Miller is a miracle worker.”

Huge smiles formed on all of their faces as Joyce went to hug Giles, then took Spike by surprise and did the same with him.

The doctor smiled as well. “Buffy will be unconscious for a little while, so you all should head home and get some rest. You can come by to see her later during visiting hours.”

Joyce nodded. “Thank you so much, Doctor.”

He gave them one more smile, then walked away.

Joyce had tears of relief in her eyes. “My baby’s going to be okay.”

Giles pressed a kiss to the top of his wife’s head. “That she is. I always knew Buffy was a fighter. She’s so strong, just like her mother.”

Spike was happy that Buffy was all right, but felt a little saddened by the display. She had such loving parents that would do anything for her. He always wished to know what that was like. His mother had her moments, but Drusilla Rayne was never a very caring woman. She would always go on about things that made no sense to him. Telling him that he was made for the sunshine, whatever that meant. And then when everything became too much for her to handle, she just ended it all. Not thinking about what it would do to him. Spike made a promise to himself that if he was to ever have kids of his own, he would make sure they knew what it was like to be loved every day of their life. Spike knew what he had to do. It was time.


* * * * *


He entered the house quietly, relieved to not be greeted by any disturbing sounds from his father’s room.

“Where have you been?”

Spike jumped a little at Ethan’s voice coming from the living room. All the lights were off and he didn’t even realize the man was sitting in there. “I went back to the hospital. I stopped by earlier, but you weren’t around.” He moved closer to see that Ethan was holding a bottle of Scotch in his hand, something that wasn’t very shocking.

“Right, your little girlfriend. How is she?” Ethan wondered, taking a swig from the alcohol.

Spike didn’t know why he cared, but didn’t say anything about it. “She’s fine; they think she’ll be able to go home tomorrow.”

Ethan nodded and stood up. “So, when do I get to meet the little girl that was capable of you growing a heart?”

Spike took a step back, trying to control his anger. “I’m not bringing her anywhere near you. This one is different from the others; she won’t be setting foot in this house. In fact, this is the last time I ever will.”

Ethan glared at him. “What are you on about, boy?”

“I’m officially done. This point on, I want nothing more to do with you. I had a talk with Xander and he agreed to let me stay with him for the remainder of the school year. After that, I’m leaving this bloody town. You’ll never have to see me again. I guarantee we’ll both be better off.”

Ethan chuckled. “Oh, I guess you have it all figured out. You think I’ll just let you leave? I’m your guardian; you still have to do as I say.”

Spike cringed at the fact that he used guardian instead of father, but chose not to care. “See, that’s where you’re wrong. I’m eighteen, which means I no longer have to follow by your rules. I could live on my own now if I wanted to. When you think about it, this is a good thing for you. Now, you can continue to bring all of your bimbos back here and not have me to worry about getting in the way. I did a lot of thinking at the hospital. This isn’t the life I want, it never really was. The last thing I ever want is to be like you, so we’re done here. I’m my own man now. I’m going to get married one day, have beautiful children, and be a better father to them than you ever were. They are going to grow up knowing they had two parents that loved them dearly. That’s the life I want.”

“And you think anyone would wanna marry you? They’ll take one look at you and realize what a disgrace you are. Who could ever want you?”

Spike grinned. “I have a girl waiting for me at the hospital that thinks otherwise. I would say that you could ask her yourself, but you’re not a part of my life anymore. I know now that I wasn’t the reason Mum was looking for a way out. No, it was because of you. You treated her horribly and she just wanted to get away from you. She figured that killing herself was the only way to do it; she knew you would never let her leave. I’m not about to let the same thing happen to me. Goodbye, Ethan.” He grabbed the few belongings that he packed up earlier, then walked out of the house. Spike smiled when Ethan didn’t even try to stop him, knowing the other man was finally defeated. He waved and gave a two finger salute. With the look of pure revulsion on Ethan’s face in his mind, he got into his car and drove away. Not looking back once. It was time to start his new life, and Spike knew just who he wanted to share it with. He stopped by Xander’s house first to drop off his things, assuring his friend that everything went better than he could have imagined. Spike then made his way back to the hospital and the girl he loved. There was no better feeling in the world.