Chapter 13

Buffy was back in school about a week later, everyone pretty much knew about what happened. Harmony even apologized to her, which took her by surprise.

Spike had his arm around Buffy at lunch later that day, not about to let her out of his sight. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

Buffy let out a sigh. “For the last time, I’m fine. They wouldn’t have let me out of the hospital if I wasn’t. You really need to stop worrying, Spike.”

He shook his head. “You might as well tell me to stop breathing; you have a bigger chance of that happening.”

She smiled and leaned into his touch. “It would be a very bad thing if you stopped breathing.”

Willow and Xander smiled at both of them from across the table, glad that their friends seemed to be so happy.

Angel was making gagging noises.

Spike pulled away from Buffy to throw a roll at his head, which he dodged.

“You throw like a girl, Rayne.”

Buffy gave him a stern look. “Be nice,” she said firmly.

Spike grinned when Angel actually looked ashamed, like a boy being scorned by his mother. “That’s right, Peaches. I’ve been through a lot; you should be nice to me.” The truth finally came out about his father, but Spike couldn’t be happier to be out of that house.

“Well, isn’t this sweet?”

Spike groaned at the appearance of Parker and Riley, they seemed to be more inseparable lately since he, Angel, and Xander stopped hanging out with the ponce.

“Seeing you guys so cuddly is enough to make me wanna hurl,” Parker commented.

Spike stood up. “What do you want, Abrams?”

He shrugged. “Just to see what a complete loser you’ve become. I never thought I would see the day when Spike Rayne was in love with someone other than himself. Well, that just means more girls for the rest of us. I might give Harmony a go, since you’re done with her and all. Oh, wait, I already did about a month ago, but it’s not like you two were ever really serious. Finn here wants a little piece of Buffy; would you be willing to share?”

Buffy touched Spike’s arm when it looked like he was going to hit Parker. “Don’t, it’s not worth it.”

He softened and took a deep, calming breath. “I’m done letting you get to me, Abrams. You can run along now, you’re not welcome around us anymore. Then again, you never really were.”

Parker scoffed and noticed that Riley left the cafeteria. He was confused and went after him, catching up to him in the hallway. “Hey, what’s that about?”

Riley turned around. “You don’t speak for me anymore, Parker. I’m tired of just standing around, like I’m your bodyguard or something. Making up that shit about how I want Buffy when you know it’s not true, you were just trying to piss off Spike. There’s someone else that I’m interested in at this school, and I’m not going to hide it anymore. I’m tired of caring about what you think.”

A small, mousy brunette walked over to Riley.

He gave her a smile, putting an arm around her. “Let’s get out of here, Fred.”

Parker’s jaw nearly dropped. “Are you kidding me? She’s a science geek.”

Riley glared at him. “That may be so, but she’s my science geek.” He gazed at the girl next to him. “Not that I think you’re a geek, sweetie.”

She smiled shyly. “It’s okay; I’m not offended by it.”

Parker was stunned as he watched them walk away. “This school is fucking insane.”


* * * * *


“Have you seen your dad at all?”

Spike shook his head. “Not since I walked out over a week ago. I guess he just forgot about me, I’m not surprised. It’s not like I thought he would try and make me come home. He’s probably relieved to be rid of me.”

Buffy rubbed his arm. “Don’t say that, I’m sure it’s not true.”

Spike gave her a sad smile. “It doesn’t matter, I just want to forget about him and focus more on you.”

Buffy giggled when he moved on top of her, kissing her softly.

They were in Xander’s basement, while he was out with Willow on their first official date.

Buffy couldn’t be happier that her two friends decided to get together. “You like staying with Xander?”

He shrugged. “It beats having to deal with all of my dad’s flings almost every night. Harris is a bit sloppy and he takes way too long in the shower, but I would still prefer that over living with Ethan any day.”

Buffy nodded. “Well, I’m glad you got away from him. I don’t like seeing you get hurt.”

Spike felt his heart swell at her words. She never stopped surprising him. He was still amazed that anyone could care so much about him. Spike was so grateful that he didn’t lose her. He didn’t know what he would do without this feeling.

“Are you okay? You have a serious face.”

He smiled and nuzzled her neck. “I couldn’t be better, love.”


* * * * *


Angel plopped down across from Spike, gracing him with a grin.

“I just asked Cordy out, and she didn’t say no.”

Spike smiled. “Good for you, mate.”

Angel nodded. “So, where’s Buffy? You two are usually joined at the hip.”

“She had a doctor’s appointment, just to make sure everything is still going well.”

Angel nodded again, looking across the cafeteria to see Cordelia staring at him. She licked her lips and motioned for him to come over. “I gotta go, man.”

Spike watched as Angel shot up out of his seat and made his way over to the cheerleader. He laughed at the sight of his friend already being whipped by the brunette beauty, but supposed he couldn’t really argue with that.


* * * * *


Buffy moaned as Spike trailed his lips down her neck, knowing that they should probably take it elsewhere.

“We shouldn’t do this here.”

He pulled away from her. “I missed you yesterday. You expected me to go the whole day without touching you? Not bloody likely.”

She blushed. “No, but we’re in the hallway. I heard about a janitor’s closet that’s usually a hot spot for couples to make out, at least it wouldn’t be out in the open.”

Spike shook his head. “I’m not taking you there. That isn’t a good place for my girl.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows. “Okay, well, I should get to class now. I’ll see you later.” She gave him one more quick kiss, then walked away.

Spike was worried when she brought up the janitor’s closet. That was where he took all the others, he wasn’t about to do the same with Buffy. She was different and he wanted to treat her as such, his girl deserved better than that. He turned around, only to bump into Harmony. “What do you want now? Haven’t you taken the hint already?” Spike noticed that her eyes were red, as if she was crying. He didn’t really care for Harmony, but never was one that liked to see a girl cry.

“I needed to talk to you.”

Spike sighed. “Fine, but make it fast.”

She took a deep breath before continuing. “I’m pregnant.”