Chapter 14

“You’re what? No, you can’t be.”

Harmony rolled her eyes. “I think I would know if I was pregnant or not. I’m not that stupid.”

Spike was about to respond to that, but decided against it. “Fine, but what does this have to do with me? You don’t actually expect for me to believe that it might be mine, do you?”

She shrugged. “It’s a possibility.”

“Yeah, just a possibility. I know you’ve been with other blokes, Harm. We were always careful, and you told me that you were on the pill.”

Harmony took in a deep breath. “I am, but that’s not always accurate. I’m really scared right now, Spike. I was hoping that you would be helpful.”

Spike rubbed his head, feeling a migraine coming on. “Do you have any idea how bloody awful your timing is? Look, I’ll just tell you this, if it does happen to be mine, then I’ll help you any way that I can. I’m not about to abandon my child, but I’m going to need actual proof before I do anything. And that’s all you get, Harmony. I can help you out if the kid does turn out to be mine, but that’s it. We’re not going to be together. I’m with Buffy and I would never do anything to ruin what we have. You understand that?”

Harmony didn’t exactly like it, but just nodded.

Spike nodded as well. “I have to go, but I expect to see a paternity test later on.”

Harmony stopped him before he could leave. “If Buffy wasn’t in the picture, would you have chosen to be with me?”

Spike could tell how serious she was. For some reason, he didn’t really want to hurt her feelings. “I guess we’ll never know,” with that said, he walked away.


* * * * *


“Aren’t they cute?”

Spike pretended to gag, causing Buffy to slap him on the arm.

“You’re not fooling anyone. I know you’re just as happy about them being together as I am,” she commented.

Spike turned back to Willow and Xander, who continued their make out session and not paying attention to anything else going on around them. “Well, it has been a while since Harris had a decent woman in his life. Red could be good for him.”

Buffy smiled. “At least we’re not the most nauseating couple anymore.”

Spike agreed, then focused on Angel and Cordelia also playing tonsil hockey in the distance. His eyes widened at the two of them. “Bloody hell, he’s gonna swallow her tongue. She doesn’t even like that.”

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest. “And how would you know that?”

He looked caught and turned away from the kissing couple. “I hear things?”

She wasn’t very convinced, but decided to let it go. “You used to date Harmony, right?”

Spike was surprised by the change in subject. “I wouldn’t really call it dating, but yeah, why do you ask?”

“I just think something might be going on with her and Parker. I saw them arguing earlier today. I guess I was just wondering if you would be bothered by that or not.”

He raised his eyebrows. “Why would that bother me?”

Buffy shrugged. “I don’t know. You used to have a thing with her, and I know Parker was your friend.”

Spike scoffed. “He’s no friend of mine, and there was never really anything with Harmony. It was just basically a lot of se…studying. Yeah, all we did was really study and stuff like that.”

Buffy shook her head. “Spike, it’s okay. I know you were with other girls before we got together; I’m not going to get on your case about it. You can be honest with me.”

He sighed in relief. “All right, well, the truth is I’ve done a lot that I’m not very proud of. I’ve had my share of girls, but none of them mean as much to me as you do. You’ve completely tamed me, Summers. I should be mad at you for that, but I think I’m just really thankful. I hated who I was before, even though I would never admit it.”

“Now it’s just me?” she wondered, her insecurities shining through.

Spike smiled and pressed a soft kiss to her lips. “Yes, it’s just you.”

“This is all very sweet, but we’re trying to make out over here. Can’t you guys have your Kodak moment elsewhere?”

Spike glared at Xander. “I’m surprised you even noticed that we were still here.” He ignored his friend and turned back to Buffy. “Wanna get out of here?”

She nodded and followed Spike out of the cafeteria.


* * * * *


Buffy entered the girl’s restroom and immediately heard what sounded like someone crying. She knocked on the stall, where the sniffles were coming from.

“Are you okay?”

The door opened and out came Harmony, wiping quickly at her eyes. “Oh, it’s just you.”

Buffy wasn’t exactly a fan of the cheerleader, but was curious as to what could have upset her. “Are you okay?” she asked again.

Harmony moved over to the sinks, washing her face of all the smeared mascara. “I’m pregnant, so I would say that I’m nowhere near okay.”

That was the last thing Buffy expected to hear, but Harmony continued before she could say anything.

“At first I thought that it might be Spike’s.”

Buffy’s eyes widened, but the blonde wasn’t finished.

“Don’t worry, it’s not his. What are the odds that the one time I slept with Parker Abrams would get me knocked up? How is that fair? I don’t even like him. Of course, he wants nothing to do with me or the baby. That’s why I was hoping it would be Spike’s. I know he would at least be there for me. God, my life sucks.”

Buffy awkwardly patted her on the back, not knowing what else to do. “I’m sure it won’t be that bad.”

Harmony agreed. “That’s right, it won’t be. I don’t need stupid Parker, but I’m not about to get rid of this child. I’m going to keep it, and soon I’ll find someone that will appreciate me. Someone that I really deserve, you’re lucky to have found Spike. I just hope you can keep him interested, he has a habit of losing interest pretty fast. Well, thanks for the chat. It’s been fun.”

Buffy watched as Harmony left the bathroom, shaking her head and staring at her reflection in the mirror. She hoped that Spike wouldn’t get sick of her, too.


* * * * *


Spike was beyond relieved when Harmony told him that he wasn’t the father. Sure, he wanted kids one day, but just not with her. He would have laughed at finding out it was Parker, if she didn’t tell him the wanker wanted nothing to do with the baby. He would need to have a talk with him about that. Parker was responsible for getting Harmony pregnant and Spike would make sure that he did the right thing by her, but right now, he was just thrilled to be off the hook. It was time to leave the past behind him and get on with his life. He would start by telling Buffy that he loved her. Spike just prayed that he could get through it.