Chapter 15

Buffy was taken by surprise when Spike picked her up and spun her around.

“Spike, I’m getting dizzy,” she said through her laughter.

He immediately set her back on her feet. “Sorry about that.”

“What was that about?”

Spike then thrust a paper into her hands.

She glanced down at it, a huge smile lighting up her face. “You got an A on the test?”

He nodded, matching her smile with one of his own. “My first one ever in that class, I think Mr. Reynolds nearly had a heart attack. It’s all because of you.”

Buffy shook her head. “I didn’t do much, but I’m very proud of you. I knew you could do it.”

Spike felt so much affection for her in that moment. No one had ever believed in him so much before. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer to his chest. “God, I love you.”

Buffy pushed him away, her eyes widening.

Spike had the same expression on his face. “Bloody hell, that wasn’t supposed to happen.”

Buffy suddenly felt hurt. “Oh, you didn’t mean it?”

“No, wait, I didn’t mean that.” He tilted her head up to look at him, noticing that she was staring at the floor. “Of course I meant it; I just wasn’t planning on blurting it out like that. I wanted to take you somewhere nice, do it all romantic like. I’ve never really said those words before; I wanted it to be special.”

Buffy smiled in relief. “It was special. You don’t need to do any big gestures with me, Spike. It only matters that it comes from your heart. I don’t need anything else.”

He smiled in return. “I love you, Buffy. I know this is all happening really fast. We haven’t known each other for very long, but I really do. You’ve made me feel more than I ever thought was possible.”

She moved closer to him, pressing a kiss to his lips. “I love you, too.”

Spike cupped her cheek, very pleased to hear that. “I have something to do, then we can go.”

“That’s okay; you can take your time. Giles is picking me up today.”

Spike nodded, giving her one more kiss. “I’ll see you later?”

She nodded as well, then walked away.

He watched her go and with a smile on his face, headed in the other direction.


* * * * *


Spike found Parker by his locker, flirting with some brunette. He rolled his eyes and made his way over to them.

“I want a word with you, Abrams.”

Parker glared at him. “I’m a little busy right now.”

Spike turned to the girl. “Get lost,” he told her, not caring about being nice.

She was taken aback, but did as he said.

“What the fuck was that for? I was just about to get her number.”

Spike rolled his eyes again. “Yeah, my heart bleeds for you. You’re a pathetic sod, you know that?”

Parker crossed his arms over his chest. “Am I even supposed to know what that means? You’re in America now, learn to speak it.”

Spike clenched his fists at his side, trying very hard to control his temper. “I want to talk to you about Harmony. Look, I don’t bloody care if you like her, but you’re responsible for getting her pregnant. You can’t just walk away from that.”

Parker raised his eyebrows. “Since when do you give a damn about her?”

“That’s not the point. If she was having my child, I would do whatever I could to help out. You can’t just let her handle this on her own.”

Parker took on a bored expression. “Watch me; this isn’t even any of your business. Just be lucky you’re not the one that has to deal with this. I don’t like kids. I never have, and I probably never will. I like Harmony Kendall even less. She was just a good lay, and now I realize what a huge mistake that was. I told her to get rid of it, but of course she refused. Now, the brat is her problem. I don’t want anything to do with either of them, and nothing you say will get me to change my mind.”

“You like your reputation, Abrams?”

He looked at Spike in confusion. “What’s it to you?”

Spike shrugged. “Funny thing, I was in the locker room a few days ago. I forgot something, and to my surprise realized that I wasn’t the only one in there. Do you know Tucker Wells? I’m sure you do, seeing as how I caught the both of you in a very compromising position.”

Parker’s eyes widened. “That…That was nothing. I don’t know what you think you saw, but nothing was going on. I’m not gay, all right? I wouldn’t want anything to do with that loser. I swear, if you tell anyone about this…”

Spike cut him off. “You do right by Harmony. Help her with whatever she needs, and this never gets out. Do we understand each other?”

Parker scowled at him. “I fucking hate you.”

Spike grinned. “The feeling’s mutual. So, do we have a deal?” he said, holding out his hand.

Parker took it after a moment. “Deal, now get out of my sight.”

He held his hands up and backed away. “I’m as good as gone. See you around, mate.” Spike flipped Parker the bird, then left the school. He couldn’t keep the smile off of his face once he walked outside, seeing that Buffy was still there. His smile quickly faded when he noticed who she was talking to. Spike hurried over to them, pulling her away. “What the fuck are you doing here?”

Ethan gave him a grin. “Is that any way to treat your father, William? I was just having a little chat with Buffy. At first I didn’t even realize that she was your girl, but then it all became clear. She’s very bright, what in the world is she doing with you?”

Spike shut his eyes tight, opening them a few seconds later. “You’re obviously drunk right now, just go back home. You’re not a part of my life anymore, I already told you that. You have no business being here. I’ll call you a cab; you probably shouldn’t be driving.”

Ethan chuckled. “Oh, like you’ve never done it. You’re being really stupid, boy. I came here for you, and this is the thanks I get? Come on, we’re going home.” He tried to grab him, but Spike moved back.

“I’m not going anywhere with you, especially not when you’ve been drinking. I already have a home; I have no intention of ever going back to yours.” Spike wrapped his arms around Buffy, feeling that she was trembling.

Ethan turned his gaze on her. “You’ll be honest with me, right? You don’t really care about my daft son, do you? A smart girl like you could do way better. You need a real man, sweetheart.”

Buffy shuddered when he trailed a finger down her cheek, but was once again pulled away by Spike.

“Don’t you even think about touching her!” he spat. “I want you to stay away from me, you got that? All you’re doing is embarrassing yourself.”

Ethan was about to respond, but never got the chance.

“Is there a problem here?”

Buffy was beyond relieved to see that Giles finally showed up. She broke away from Spike and went over to his side, giving him a hug.

Giles patted her on the back, focusing on the two men. “I think you should leave now,” he told Ethan.

“Who the fuck are you?”

Giles glared at him. “I’m Buffy’s father, and I would appreciate you not using that language around me. William is a good lad. If he doesn’t want to go with you, then I’m sure he has a good reason. I hope you can leave civilly, I wouldn’t want to have to get the police involved.”

Ethan nodded after a moment, giving Spike one more look. “You’re not even worth it,” he claimed, then got back into his car and drove off.

Spike sighed in relief, turning to Giles. “Thank you, sir.”

He waved his hand in the air. “No need to be formal with me, son. You can just call me Giles, everyone else does.”

Spike nodded. “Well, I don’t know about you two, but I’m ready to get out of here.”

Giles agreed, giving Buffy another pat on the back. “You can go with Spike if you want to, dear. I have a few errands to run; it might be boring for you.”

Buffy nodded as well and gave him a kiss on the cheek. “I love you, Daddy.”

Giles watched in awe as she walked away with Spike. Sure, he knew that Buffy considered him to be her father, but that was the first time she ever said it. He smiled and got in his car, soon driving away from the school.