Author's Chapter Notes:
I forgot that I guess Joyce's last name would be Giles here, but I don't really feel like changing that and it's just weird to call her Joyce Giles. Who knows, maybe she never got her name changed. So, I think I'm going to stick with Summers, if anyone was wondering about that. I hope everyone has a safe and fun holiday=)
Chapter 3

Buffy smiled at the excited red head, Willow Rosenberg. She was the first real person to befriend her at school. It had been a while since Buffy had any actual friends.

“Sorry, am I talking too much? I tend to ramble a lot.”

Buffy shook her head. “So far, it’s the right amount of ramble.”

Willow smiled in relief, then turned her attention on one of the popular tables in the distance.

Buffy knew what was on her mind. “Staring at Xander again?”

Willow blushed as red as her hair. “I know I probably shouldn’t, but I can’t help it. He’s a lot different from those guys; I don’t even know why he hangs out with them. They’re complete jerks, but Xander has always been really nice. He even talks to me sometimes in class. Of course, it’s hard for me to actually get any words out around him.”

“I think it’s really sweet. You should tell him how you feel.”

She shook her head. “I couldn’t do that. He may be nice to me, but there’s no way he would ever like me. I’m not really the girl that guys notice.”

Buffy nodded in understanding. “I can relate to you there.”

“Really? You don’t seem like you would have a problem with that. I’ve even seen Spike Rayne talking to you. He’s like the most popular guy in school.”

Buffy looked in the distance to notice Spike talking with the cheerleaders that were gathered around him, causing them to giggle at something he said. “What’s his story, anyway?”

Willow shrugged. “I wouldn’t really know. He’s a pretty private person, but not someone that you should get involved with. I hear he goes through girls fast.”

Buffy turned back to her new friend. “I have no plans to get involved with him. I just wonder why he’s bothering with me if he has all those other girls paying attention to him.”

“Maybe he likes you or something.”

For some reason, Buffy found that very hard to believe.


* * * * *


“Hey, Harris, that cute red head is checking you out again.”

Xander blushed and threw a roll at Angel’s head. “Shut up,” he mumbled.

“I think she’s got it bad for the Xan-Man.”

He rolled his eyes. “I’m not the only one sitting at this table, maybe she’s looking at you.”

Angel scoffed. “Yeah, that’s not likely. I don’t attract the smart chicks in school.”

Spike chuckled. “No, only the airheads.”

Angel glared at him. “Oh, you’re really one to talk.”

Spike ignored the comment and focused back on the two girls from afar. “I see she’s already made friends with Buffy.”

Angel grinned. “It’s Buffy now? What happened to new girl?”

Spike shrugged, rubbing the back of his neck. “That was before I found out her name.”

“It’s a bit ditzy, don’t you think?”

Spike shook his head. “She’s not a ditz. I think it suits her.”

Angel and Xander exchanged looks.

Spike didn’t notice, too busy staring at Buffy. He was determined to get her to talk to him.


* * * * *


Buffy made it to her locker after school, opening it to reveal a yellow rose. She was confused as to how it got inside, taking it out to examine it closer.

“Yellow is for friendship. Just so you know that I come in peace.”

Buffy turned around at the voice that came from behind her, shocked to see Spike. “I know what yellow means. How did you put it in my locker?”

He shrugged. “I’m a man of many talents.”

She graced him with a tiny smile, sniffing the rose.

“Knew I could get a grin.”

Buffy placed the flower back inside her locker. “Don’t get used to it.”

He touched his heart. “You wound me so, love. Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot. I really just want to get to know you better.”

Buffy wasn’t easily convinced. “Why would you want to do that? I saw your fan club at lunch. If you think I’m going to become one of those girls, you’re sadly mistaken.”

“I don’t think that. I’m not really friends with any of them, but I would like to be yours. Just let me take you out tonight; show you more of our little town. I promise to keep my hands to myself,” he said, raising his hands up and giving her a smile.

Buffy let out a breath. “You won’t quit until I agree, will you?”

Spike shook his head. “I was never much of a quitter.”

“Fine, I’ll go with you, but it’s not a date.”

His smile grew wider. “I wouldn’t dream of it.”


* * * * *


Buffy looked herself over in the mirror. She was wearing a blue dress, her hair down in waves around her shoulders. It was the first time wearing that dress in a long while, and Buffy didn’t even know why she was bothering to look nice when it wasn’t even a date.

Joyce stood in her doorway, a smile on her face. “You look so beautiful, honey.”

Buffy smiled as well, turning to her mother. “I figured it was about time I wore this again.”

“Your friend is waiting for you downstairs.”

Buffy suddenly felt nervous, but didn’t understand why. “I’ll be down in a second.”

Joyce nodded and walked away.

Buffy glanced at her reflection one more time. Taking a deep breath and grabbing her purse, then making her way down the stairs.


* * * * *


Spike’s breath caught in his throat at the sight of her. He thought she was cute at school, but now she looked absolutely gorgeous.

“You look great, pet.”

She blushed at the compliment. “Thanks, you don’t look so bad yourself.”

Joyce smiled at the teens. “You kids have fun, but make sure to be home by ten. It’s a school night.”

Spike nodded. “You don’t have to worry about that, Mrs. Summers. Education is very important.”

Buffy rolled her eyes, but there was a hint of a smile on her face. She gave her mother a kiss on the cheek, then left the house with Spike.

Joyce watched them go, hoping that her baby would be okay.


* * * * *


Buffy was shocked when Spike took her to the beach, a picnic laid out on the sand.

“This looks suspiciously like a date.”

He shook his head, helping her down on the blanket that he placed there. “Hardly, I would never do this on a date. This is just two people getting to know each other. We can go to the Bronze another time. It’s a bit too loud there; we wouldn’t get much talking done.”

Buffy accepted his answer, feeling her stomach growl when she saw all the food that he brought. “This is enough to feed an army.”

Spike laughed. “Well, I didn’t know what you would like, so I got a little of everything.”

She smiled. “That’s a smart move. So, where in England are you from?”

He handed her a chicken sandwich before answering the question. “London, been living here for about twelve years now.”

Buffy nodded. “My step-father is from London. It’s so beautiful there.”

“Oh, you’ve been before?” he wondered, intrigued.

“A few times, it’s one of my favorite places in the world.”

Spike smiled. “Same here, I’ve always been wanting to go back. I probably will after high school. You’re from Los Angeles, right?”

She nodded again. “Born and raised. It was okay there, but I have to say that it’s really nice here.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “I don’t know of anyone that would rather live here than LA. Why did you move here?”

Buffy was really wishing that he didn’t ask that, but thought of something quick to say. “My mom got transferred, so we had to relocate.”

Spike noticed a worried expression form on her face, but just shook it off. He changed the subject and started telling her about his childhood and all the mischief that he would get into, which seemed to make her laugh. He was actually having a really good time. Spike didn’t know that he could have fun with a girl, without it involving sex. He had a feeling that Buffy would open him up to a lot of new things, and he could hardly wait.