Chapter 4

“What the fuck happened to you?”

Spike groaned as he shut his locker door, glaring at Angel. “It’s not your bloody concern, Peaches.”

He ignored the name. “Well, I am your friend. I think it should be my concern when you come to school with a black eye.”

Xander decided to speak up next. “Spike got into another fight. Some kid in his neighborhood was causing trouble.”

Angel nodded. “I should have known. You’ve been getting into a lot of fights lately, man.”

Spike shrugged. “The ponce shouldn’t have insulted my car.”

Angel knew how much Spike loved his Desoto, but found it hard to believe that he would get into a fight over it. He just shook his head and walked away, not bothering to say anything else.

Spike sighed in relief and turned to Xander. “Thanks, mate.”

“Don’t mention it, but I really think you should say something. I hate being the only one that knows the truth.”

Spike pointed to his eye. “This isn’t a big deal, I’ve handled worse. Just forget about it.”

Xander wasn’t finished. “I know what it’s like to be knocked around by your old man. I’m just lucky mine decided to skip out on us, so I wouldn’t have to deal with him anymore. You shouldn’t have to deal with it, either.”

“I can take care of myself,” Spike replied, heading in the other direction.

Xander watched him go, wishing his friend would do the right thing for once.


* * * * *


“Are you okay?”

Spike shrugged off her worry. “I’m fine, love. It doesn’t even hurt.”

Buffy wasn’t too sure, but didn’t say anything else about it. “Why are you even sitting here? This isn’t the popular table. I can see all of the cheerleaders scowling at us, they’re not very happy.”

“This is me not caring. I kind of like it over here.” He winked at the girl sitting across from him. “How you doing, Red?”

Willow finally closed her mouth once he addressed her. “I…I’m doing okay.” She cursed herself for stuttering, but he only smiled at her.

Spike saw Xander enter the cafeteria and waved him over.

Willow grew even paler at the sight of her crush.

“I see we’re sitting elsewhere today,” Xander commented, taking a seat next to Spike. “Hey, it’s Willow, right?”

She nodded, finding speech to be very difficult at the moment.

Buffy smiled when she saw how smitten her friend was. It would be cute if the two of them got together.

Spike turned his attention back on the blonde. “So, are you up for the Bronze tonight?”

“I don’t know if that would be a good idea. I’m really not much of a club person,” she claimed.

“That’s not a problem. You can just go to check it out. If you don’t like it, we can leave and I’ll never bother you about it again.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows. “Are you actually pouting?”

He grinned. “Depends, will you go with me?”

She couldn’t help the smile that formed on her face. “Okay, but again, it’s not a date.”

Spike nodded. “Of course not.” He only had four more days to change that, but for a split second, Spike actually forgot about the bet. He was enjoying just being around her. He saw Parker’s smirking face in the distance and would do whatever he could to wipe that smug look off. Spike just hoped that Buffy wouldn’t get hurt because of it.


* * * * *


“You weren’t lying about this place being really loud!”

Spike smiled and led her over to his favorite table, pulling out a chair for her and sitting down himself. “Can I get you something to drink?”

She nodded. “A diet coke would be good.”

Spike nodded as well and stood back up, making his way over to the bar. He rolled his eyes when he saw Parker there chatting with some girl.

Parker grinned at the sight of him. “So, I see you brought her here. Have you gotten any closer yet?”

“Not that it’s any of your business, but yes, I can tell she’s starting to like me. Well, at least tolerate me,” Spike explained.

“I can’t believe you haven’t even scored with her yet. I think you’re starting to lose your touch.”

Spike clenched his fists at his side. “It takes time, but don’t you worry. I have no intention of losing this bet.” He grabbed the sodas and made his way back to Buffy, not even sparing Abrams another glance. Spike was worried when he got back to the table and saw Buffy clutching her head. “Hey, are you all right?”

She looked up at him and nodded, feeling the pain ease a bit. “Yeah, I just think it might be a little too noisy for me.”

Spike took her hand and helped her up. “Come on, let’s get out of here.”

Buffy didn’t say anything and just let him lead her out of the club, finally speaking once they were outside. “I’m sorry, you don’t have to leave. I could just walk home. It’s not that far.”

“I’m not about to let you walk home by yourself, don’t worry about it. I was getting bored of that place, anyway. We can just do something else.”

Buffy smiled. “Could we go to the beach again? I liked it there.”

He returned her smile. “I think that can be arranged.”


* * * * *


“God, it’s so beautiful here. I always used to love the ocean at night. The way the moonlight hits the water at just the right spot, the gorgeous stars shining above. You can hardly see those in LA.”

Spike smiled at her.

She caught his look and lowered her head. “Sorry, I tend to get carried away sometimes.”

“Don’t apologize for that, I think it’s adorable.”

Buffy blushed, glancing back up at him. She couldn’t read the expression on his face this time, feeling her breath catch when he moved closer to her. Buffy gasped when he touched his lips to hers. After the shock wore off, she found herself kissing him back.

Spike shut his eyes, slowly sliding his tongue into her mouth. The kisses he shared in the past never felt so good.

Buffy came back to reality a few seconds later and pulled away. “We need to stop.”

Spike nodded; even though that was the last thing he wanted to do. “I’m sorry; I guess I also tend to get carried away. I probably shouldn’t have done that.”

She agreed. “It’s just a little too fast for me. I’m still in the getting to know you stage.”

“Right, we can just take things slower. I want to know everything about you.”

Buffy sighed in relief, glad that he didn’t seem to be upset with her. “That could take a while.”

He gave her another smile. “I have all the time in the world.”