Chapter 5

Joyce opened Buffy’s door, concerned to see her daughter lying down, distress written on her features. She moved closer and sat on the edge of her bed.

“Is everything okay, sweetie? Are you in any pain?”

Buffy glanced up at her mother, wiping away the tears from her eyes. “It’s not so bad now.”

Joyce placed her hand on Buffy’s head to feel that she was warm. “I don’t think we can wait much longer for the operation. Next week feels like a lifetime.”

“I’ll be all right, Mom. It’s really not that bad, you don’t have to worry.”

Joyce gave her a sad smile. “I’m a mother; it’s our job to worry. I just hope coming here was the right thing to do. If this doctor can’t help you…” Her voice trailed off, not knowing how to finish that sentence.

Buffy covered her mother’s hand with her own, giving it a comforting squeeze. “We can’t think about that. Nothing but positive thoughts, okay?”

Joyce squeezed her hand back, gently caressing her cheek. “You’re so grown up, so very brave. Have you told any of your new friends?”

She shook her head. “I don’t want it to be like it was in LA. I just want to be treated like everyone else.”

Joyce nodded in understanding, then stood up. “You get some rest now.”

Buffy agreed and lay back down, feeling her eyes already start to close in exhaustion.

Joyce watched over her for a few minutes, gazing up at the ceiling. “Please, don’t take my baby away from me,” she whispered, then quietly left the room.


* * * * *


Spike rolled his eyes when another one of his father’s conquests came downstairs, looking disheveled. He decided that enough was enough.

“Did you have fun?” he asked her.

She looked taken aback. “I don’t really think that’s anything to be discussing with you.”

Spike shrugged. “I’m just concerned. My father’s track record is pretty huge. I suppose he didn’t tell you about the syphilis.”

Her eyes widened. “What?”

“Yeah, with all the women he’s had, he was bound to catch something eventually. I would get tested, and it would probably be best to stay away from him. There’s no telling what else you might catch.”

She looked appalled, glaring at Ethan when he finally made it down the stairs. “You fucking bastard!” she spat, slapping him hard across the face.

Spike tried to hide his grin at his father’s look of shock.

“What the bloody hell was that for?”

She ignored him and just made her way out of the house, slamming the door behind her.

Ethan turned to a smirking Spike, knowing that he had something to do with what just happened. “What did you tell her?”

He shrugged again. “Nothing, just that she should be careful with you, there’s no telling how many diseases you might have.”

Ethan saw red at what he was implying. “You little shit, how many lies did you tell?”

“Enough to make them think twice about ever shagging you again, I did them a favor. Why anyone would want a wrinkled up old dick is beyond me.”

Ethan grabbed Spike by the shirt, getting into his face. “You want to do favors? Stay the fuck out of my business; you apparently didn’t learn anything yesterday. You were always worthless, you know that? It’s no wonder your mother took her own life, to get away from your miserable self. She despised you, always went on about how much of a mistake you were. If you cause anymore problems for me, boy, I will make you regret it.” He let him go at that, satisfied by the look of upset on his face. “Now, get the fuck out of my sight.”

He hurried upstairs, not needing to be told twice. Spike hated when the bastard brought up his mother, always knowing that would hurt him like nothing else could. He really needed to get out of that house, graduation couldn’t come soon enough.


* * * * *


Spike was enjoying the silence outside of school, leaning against a wall and smoking a cigarette. Of course, the silence couldn’t last for very long.

“If I didn’t know any better, I would say that you were brooding.”

Spike rolled his eyes and flicked the cigarette to the ground, stepping on it in the process. “I don’t brood. What do you want, Abrams? I’m really not in the mood.”

Parker held his hands up. “Just a little chat between friends.”

Spike chuckled. “Oh, come off it. We were never really friends. I don’t trust you enough for that.”

He agreed. “That’s good, because I never really did like you. It brings me such joy to see you lose this bet, to prove that for once Spike Rayne can’t get the girl.”

“This bet is a bloody waste of my time, anyway. Why don’t we just call the whole thing off?”

Parker grinned. “Giving up, are we? And here I thought you weren’t a quitter. I knew you couldn’t do it.”

Spike was really trying very hard not to punch the other man in the face. “I can do it, that’s not the problem.”

“What is the problem, then? Don’t tell me you’re actually starting to develop feelings for the girl? I never thought I would see the day. I knew you wouldn’t win. Deep down inside, you’re really just a pathetic loser that pretends to be all bad ass. I’ve always been able to see right through you.”

Spike moved closer to him. “You don’t know anything about me, wanker. I’ll win this sodding bet, and then I don’t want anything else to do with you.”

Parker smiled in satisfaction. “That’s perfectly fine with me, you have three more days. Make them count,” with that said, he headed back into the school.

Spike didn’t know why he let the pillock get to him, but once this was all over, he would never have to deal with Parker Abrams again. That made everything worth it.


* * * * *


“I haven’t seen you much lately, Blondie Bear. What have you been up to?”

He groaned in annoyance. “I’ve been busy.”

She pouted. “With that new girl? What’s so great about her? She’s not even that pretty.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Get this through your thick skull, you irritating bint. There was never anything between us. It was just sex, and most of that time I had to picture someone else in order to get off. You never really did anything for me.”

Harmony looked close to tears. “I don’t know why I let you be so mean to me.”

“Love hurts, baby.”

She watched him walk away, a look of anger on her face now. If it wasn’t for Betty, Spike would still want her. It was the new girl that was changing him, and she had to put a stop to it. Harmony would do whatever she could to get that man stealing bitch out of the picture.