Chapter 6

“So, how are you with History?”

Buffy raised her eyebrows in confusion. “Pretty good, why do you ask?”

Spike smiled. “Well, I happen to be really bad at it. I figure that you never need any of this stuff, so I’ve been slacking off a bit in class. I need to pull at least a B on the next test, but I have no idea what I’m doing.”

She nodded. “And I’m guessing you want me to help you get a better grade?”

He nodded as well. “If it wouldn’t be too much trouble, I would really appreciate it.”

Buffy gave it some consideration. “Okay, we can study at my house after school.”

Spike dropped to his knees, wrapping his arms around her legs. “My goddess, I worship at your feet.”

Buffy laughed and pulled him up. “I don’t even know why I put up with you.”

Spike tapped the tip of her nose. “Probably because you can’t resist my charm and good looks,” he said with a grin.

Buffy rolled her eyes, but walked away with him. She felt her heart swell when Spike took her hand in his. Yeah, she was definitely in trouble.


* * * * *


“Has anyone ever told you how beautiful you are?”

Buffy blushed, but kept her eyes focused on the text book. “Flattery gets you nowhere. Now shut up, you’re here to study and nothing more. I don’t want you wasting my time. You can leave if you’re not going to participate.”

He grinned. “Kitten has claws, it’s bloody sexy.”

Buffy slammed her book closed. “Spike, I’m serious. Do you even want to pass this class? You’ll be sorry when you don’t end up graduating with everyone else.”

Spike held his hands up. “All right, I’m sorry. I’ll be a good student,” he said, crossing his heart.

“I know how smart you can be, and I really don’t want to see you fail,” Buffy explained, rubbing her temples at the sudden pain.

“You okay? Am I stressing you out too much?” he wondered.

Buffy shook her head, which she soon realized was a really bad idea. “It’s not you. I just need some water, do you want anything?”

“No, I’m fine.”

Buffy nodded and got off of the bed, making her way out of her room and down the stairs. She grabbed a glass out of the cabinet and filled it up with cold water, then snatched a bottle of pills off of the counter. Buffy popped two of them into her mouth, washing them down with the cool liquid. She finished her water and rinsed the glass out, then headed back upstairs to find Spike actually looking in his text book.

He glanced up when she walked back in, giving her a smile. “I’m ready to learn now, teach.”

Buffy smiled as well. Maybe there was hope for him yet.


* * * * *


Xander waved his hand in front of Spike’s face.

“Are you still alive in there?”

He broke out of his reverie, seeming to just realize that he wasn’t alone. “Sorry, what did you say?”

Xander smiled. “You stare at her any harder and your eyes might fall out.”

Spike blushed at being caught.

Xander was stunned, not used to seeing his friend so bashful. “Man, you’ve got it bad.”

He let out a sigh. “I don’t know what it is. She’s not like any of the other girls around here. Buffy actually has a brain in her head; I never realized being with a smart chit could be such a turn on.”

Xander raised his eyebrows. “You’re with her now? Have you guys ever…”

Spike cut him off. “No, we haven’t. Not yet, anyway. We’re technically not really together, but I’m hoping to change that soon.”

“Is this still about that stupid bet? I was hoping you would have come to your senses by now and ended it. You don’t have to prove anything, Spike.”

He wished it was that easy. “I can’t back out now; I’m already too far in. Look, I don’t plan on hurting Buffy. If I do sleep with her before the end of the week, then I’ll win and hopefully shut Abrams up for good. If I don’t, then it doesn’t really matter. I got to meet a wonderful girl out of this, I won’t have any regrets. She’ll never even have to know.”

Xander thought about it. “And what if you do manage to win the bet? What happens to Buffy after that? Would you still consider seeing her?”

Spike gazed back at Buffy across the cafeteria, laughing at something Willow said. “I think that’s a very good possibility.”

“She’s different, Spike. You said so yourself. She’ll want more than just sex, I can tell. Are you willing to actually devote yourself to one girl? You would have to give up all of the cheerleaders. I don’t know if you’re ready for that. If you can’t even think about committing to her, then you need to end this now. Before things get too out of hand.”

Spike didn’t know what to do at this point. Sure, he cared about Buffy, but he also liked a lot of sex. He never really had an actual girlfriend before. It was hard for him to even think about settling down with just one girl, but Buffy was special. Spike prayed that he wouldn’t screw things up with her.


* * * * *


“Go out with me.”

Buffy was taken by surprise, it wasn’t even a question. “We already talked about this, Spike. I’m not really much for dating. We can do stuff as just friends, but that’s it.”

Spike wasn’t about to let it go. “Don’t you ever get tired of just being friends? Yeah, we still don’t know each other that well, but I’m already bored of it. I want to take you out on a real date. If you don’t have a good time, I promise to never bother you again.”

Buffy could see that he was pouting again. The man was truly evil. “Fine, we’ll go on one date, but that’s all you’re getting. That lip won’t always work on me.”

He smiled and gave her a hug, pressing a kiss to her cheek. “You won’t regret it, love.”

She returned his smile, even though a part of her wasn’t feeling it. Buffy really hoped that she wouldn’t regret it, but couldn’t help the worried feeling that went through her.

Spike was relieved that she took him up on his offer. He would take Buffy out and show her the best time of her life, the bet wasn’t even on his mind at the moment.